PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: "Moderator Emeritus" - A New Website Position

Punzie
December 8th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Suggestion: A new position on this website called "Moderator Emeritus" -- voluntary, of course!

For Moderators who can no longer actively moderate, but still want to be part of website policy.
They would participate in the Mod Forum, but no longer have moderating capabilities.

:)Removes the "all-or-nothing" aspect of modship for these people.:)

infoshare
December 8th, 2006, 09:27 AM
[U]

They would participate in the Mod Forum, but no longer have moderating capabilities.

:)Removes the "all-or-nothing" aspect of modship for these people.:)

Is this a call for volenteers to be moderators? If so at which web forums? And I am not clear how a Moderator Emeritus is different from a regular moderatior.:confused:

p.s. and are we supposed to give a TIP mods on Christmas,, and if so how much!:) :) :)

daver
December 8th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I'll pitch in a couple million electrons!

ZippyTheChimp
December 8th, 2006, 10:23 AM
For Moderators who can no longer actively moderate, but still want to be part of website policy. None of the moderators have expressed a desire not to moderate.

They would participate in the Mod Forum, but no longer have moderating capabilities.If you're going to help make policy, you should have to take on the responsibility of enacting that policy.

Removes the "all-or-nothing" aspect of modship for these people.
If you want to be a moderator, ask Edward. But I think it ahould be "all-or-nothing."

p.s. and are we supposed to give a TIP mods on Christmas,, and if so how much!I like your thinking.

Punzie
December 8th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Is this a call for volenteers to be moderators? And I am not clear how a Moderator Emeritus is different from a regular moderatior.:confused: . . .

No, I don't have the authority to call for moderators, and I would be overstepping my bounds if I did so. This topic is just a suggestion. Edward calls for moderators on this topic:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3712

. . .
And I am not clear how a Moderator Emeritus is different from a regular moderatior.:confused: . . .

There is a Moderator Forum on this site that's invisible to all users except the WNY staff and other authorized people. Among other things, it covers strategic planning and day-to-day operations. The Mod Emeritus, at least in my suggestion, would keep participating in the Moderator Forum.

The Emeritus, however, would no longer do any actual moderating.

I know that the Mod Forum exists because in the past I have worked extensively with Vbulletin software, and also because just about every large website has one.

Punzie
December 8th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Daver, thanks for your input.;)

None of the moderators have expressed a desire not to moderate.

I'll take the devil's advocate position on this one: just because a moderator has not expressed a desire to stop moderating, doesn't mean s/he has not thought about it.

I also believe that the subject should be addressed because eventually the situation will happen.

If you're going to help make policy, you should have to take on the responsibility of enacting that policy.

The assumption I am making is that a mod emeritus has invested so much in WNY and cares so much about its future that s/he will help make policy in the site's best interest.

If this is a concern, though, then the emeritus could be disallowed voting privileges in the moderator forum. That is, if certain policies are put to a vote, (the "poll" option).

. . . I think it ahould be "all-or-nothing."

I have seen a problem with the "all-or-nothing" policy on countless other websites. It puts moderators who are no longer able to put enough time into the site -- but don't want to abruptly cut off from all administrative work -- "on the fence."

infoshare
December 9th, 2006, 08:52 AM
There is a Moderator Forum on this site that's invisible to all users except the WNY staff and other authorized people. Among other things, it covers strategic planning and day-to-day operations. The Mod Emeritus, at least in my suggestion, would keep participating in the Moderator Forum.

The Emeritus, however, would no longer do any actual moderating.

I know that the Mod Forum exists because in the past I have worked extensively with Vbulletin software, and also because just about every large website has one.

I learned something today;) . I will also look into the Vbulletin function. I (as probably most membesr) have not yet explored/utilized the rich functionality of this website. Thanks.:)

ZippyTheChimp
December 9th, 2006, 10:19 AM
I have seen a problem with the "all-or-nothing" policy on countless other websites. It puts moderators who are no longer able to put enough time into the site -- but don't want to abruptly cut off from all administrative work -- "on the fence."The situation can easily be addressed on an as the need arises basis. There are many forum members who can easily step in to fill a vacancy.

If I needed to cut back the time I devote to this site, I would inform Edward. He could choose to retain me as a moderator, and enlist another member to take up the work load.

It seems simple to me.

There is a Moderator Forum on this site that's invisible to all users except the WNY staff and other authorized people. Among other things, it covers strategic planning and day-to-day operations. The Mod Emeritus, at least in my suggestion, would keep participating in the Moderator Forum.You may have an inflated sense of what is discussed in the Moderator Forum, The last topic, which is typical, concerned spamming by cell-phone sellers. Since only moderators have the ability to remove these threads, the topic is of no interest to the rest of the community.

Changes in policy or the structure of the forum are openly discussed in Forum Issues. Everyone has input.

Punzie
December 9th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Zippy, you seem to have a good handle on the situation. Perhaps this website does not need a Mod Emeritus position; I was just introducing the idea. It would be interesting to hear the opinion of Edward and other mods.:)

NYatKNIGHT
December 11th, 2006, 10:25 AM
What Zippy said.

Punzie
December 27th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Thank you for your input, Zippy, NYatKnight, peons... :)

As you can probably guess, I introduced the concept of "mod emeritus" here because I have seen it work on other sites. It goes under different names; one of the more interesting ones is "modnomore", (M&M for short). At certain sites, this has been the only diplomatic solution for mods who are burning out. That said, there seems to be no interest on WNY for my suggestion.

P.S. You guessed it, I'm the modest emeritus of 'em all.