PDA

View Full Version : Parking \ Getting into the City

delawareboy
December 9th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Howdy all, glad to be on the forum. Myself and my wife are from the philadelphia area.....and sad to say have only been to NYC once or twice...for the day. I have finally realized that we are missing so much of a great city...especially being SO CLOSE! My question is this.

From delaware...(coming up 95/new jersey turnpike) I've looked at parking and getting atrain in from Newark Penn Station as well as other areas in north jersey. And have also looked at the times...parking etc...and wondered if just crossing the lincoln tunnel and parking would save time and money?

1.) Do you recommend parking at Penn Station Newark or Elizabeth and just getting a train in? Opinions on those stations and parking?

2.) If I just take the Lincoln Tunnel in are there many easily accesible garages right off the lincoln tunnel?

3.) How much is day parking on the west side by the tunnel extrence exit?

My thought is that at some of the stations in north jersey, parking is only $5 a day and another $5 for the train ride...only concern is it may be more complicated to park and more time consumed riding a train.

If I just take the lincoln tunnel over and park at the first garage I see I skip the whole hassle of driving through the suburbs to a garage and save the train time. My friend was just up there and he said he was charged $20 and hour for parking......I don't mind $20 a day or something...what does the average garage charge per day?

Sorry for all the questions....just don't want to waste a lot of time and money or hassle parking. THANKS!

lofter1
December 9th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Definitely park in Jersey and take public transportation into NYC.

Traffic in Manhattan from now until New Years is NUTS ...

As for parking on this side -- fuhgeddaboutit

Punzie
December 9th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Drive to Queens! Park by a subway station that is circumvented by streets that have alternative-side-of-the-street parking regulations only twice a week.

Then take the Queens subway into Manhattan and use mass transit everywhere. Basically, forget about your car until you have to move it, (the street sign will tell you when), or until you're ready to drive home -- whichever comes first.

Have me, and others who know about parking on Queens streets, tell you which subway stations have the good parking. There are more than you think.

One of my favorite subway stations to park at is 71st/Continental Ave, Forest Hills -- the north side of Queens Blvd. It has alternate-side-of-the street parking regulations until 10AM on Thursdays or Fridays. All other days there are no parking regulations at all. You can park your car starting at 10AM on Friday, and not bother moving it until the following Wednesday or Thursday night.

Forest Hills is a relatively upscale area. There will always be a risk of vandalism and theft, but in my many decades of stashing my car there it hasn't happened to me. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_10_2.gif

delawareboy
December 11th, 2006, 02:55 PM
So you think it would be difficult to go into NYC via Lincoln Tunnel and parking at the first garage I see?

I guess I figured the time I'd save...about 1.5 hours.....driving in as opposed to taking the train.

What does a parking garage near the lincoln tunnel cost for the day?

daver
December 11th, 2006, 03:07 PM
What does a parking garage near the lincoln tunnel cost for the day?You could find something for $40-60/day around midtown.

P.S. Getting in and out of Manhattan via the Lincoln Tunnel is generally less than pleasant if you are anywhere around rush hours. Not that there is a particularily better route.

Ninjahedge
December 11th, 2006, 03:43 PM
You can also park you car along one of the PATH train routes. All depends on how long you are staying.

Hoboken is very convenient, and you can get food and stuff while you are there, but the parking can be expensive (not as expensive as NYC though).

You CAN go to Queens, but unless you are going at non-peak hours (say wee hours?) it will take you about 45 minutes to get across town to park in an area that you are not familiar with that is still a 10 minute walk from the station (if you park in the ritzy area that was mentioned, on the side of the road).

Parking IN that area in a garage is a little expensive, but not that bad.

You may want to also look into areas like the Seacaucus Xchange station (in the middle of nowhere, but with a direct line into Penn Station I believe).

My bets are still on Jersey City or Newark. Find the location of the PATH stations and see if there is parking nearby.

Don't leave anything valuable in the car, especially not in plain view, and find a garage that has an attendant.

You should do fine....

MikeKruger
December 11th, 2006, 04:18 PM
I park at the Journal Square PATH station. I think it's about $10/day. You can get there very easily from I95. I don't know if there is a maximum amount of time you can leave your car there. The area is not the best, but since your parked in the train station you don't care. I would invest in a 'club' and definitely not leave anything valuable in the car.
The train ride to NYC is about 5 minutes, and the PATH runs 24/7.

NYatKNIGHT
December 11th, 2006, 05:31 PM
You can park at the Port Imperial in Weehwaken and take the ferry. There are free ferry buses awaiting you when you get there and the parking lot is relatively cheap.

http://www.nywaterway.com/ferry/terminals/port-imperial.asp

ablarc
December 11th, 2006, 06:47 PM
If you're coming from Delaware, why don't you just take Amtrak?