PDA

View Full Version : Best Source for Lumber & Building Supplies?

JAF86
December 14th, 2006, 09:16 PM
I'm a new contractor here in NYC and can't seem to find a well-stocked, easy to call/reach, well-priced lumber yard/building supply place. I tried Home Depot, and consistently waste 20 minutes on hold. My local place charges prices they should be ashamed of!! Help! Thanks.

Front_Porch
December 15th, 2006, 07:04 AM
The Manhattan Home Depot is geared towards co-op renovations, and almost everything they have has to be custom-ordered. Last time I went in there, they didn't know what a saddle was.

I don't buy lumber on a regular basis, but I'd check out Levenback on 13th, the yard in the West 50s near 10th (sorry, don't know name), Lumberland on 3rd Ave. (in the 20s somewhere) and Dykes, which I think is in the West 30s. I've somehow ended up in each of them for small projects.

If you have to go to Home Depot, the one in Freeport is fine, though probably too far away from you.

Also, wander into Bella Tile and introduce yourself; they're great and they might have a Manhattan lumber source.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

lofter1
December 15th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Depending where you're located Met Lumber has two locations in Manhattan geared towards contractors / builders:

Metropolitan Lumber
(212) 966-3466 175 Spring St
New York, NY

Metropolitan Lumber & Hardware
(212) 246-9090 617 11th Ave
New York, NY

Look HERE (http://www.thecityofnewyorkcity.com/lumber/index.html) for more