PDA

View Full Version : Forum Getting Sluggish?

ablarc
December 18th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Takes forever to post. Results in duplicate posts, which then have to be deleted.

Software problem?

Or is it just my computer?

antinimby
December 19th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Oh my god, I was thinking the same thing, too.

Thought I had picked up one those viruses or trojans.

Sure glad it's not that.

Yeah, I've noticed the slowness lately, since this weekend I'd say.

kz1000ps
December 19th, 2006, 01:17 AM
I started a thread in here last week with almost the exact same title, only for it to be deleted and the post moved into the "forum was hijacked" thread, which apparently has also been deleted. So I can only guess it's because of the hijack that occured last month..?

Either way, I've noticed the sluggishness too, and it's been like this for about two weeks for me. And I since I run Firefox only I know it's not due to the virus.

Fabrizio
December 19th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Yes, recently sometimes the forum doesnt open... comes to a complete halt.

lofter1
December 19th, 2006, 08:51 AM
And I thought it was my PC ... kind of a relief to hear others are having problems.

Usually if I re-start it self corrects -- aggravating, but it does solve the problem (however temporary it might be).

OmegaNYC
December 19th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Yeah, this website is a bit sluggish at times. I think the forum needs some of this:

http://i4.peapod.com/c/W5/W5ZHJ.jpg

Punzie
December 19th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Takes forever to post. Results in duplicate posts, which then have to be deleted.

Exactly! Sometimes it takes so long that I cancel and repost. When I do this, sometimes I get a duplicate post, and sometimes I don't. You never know.

It has nothing to do with user load. I do most of my posting overnight (EST). There's a very light load; often nobody is logged on except for me.

Also, like Kznyc2k, I only use Firefox.

With respect to the sluggishness, the system is behaving like the old versions of Vbulletin do all the time. It's as if some of the modules that correct the problem of the old Vbulletins are not working properly.

*Resisting temptation to post creeping slug*

ablarc
December 20th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Yeah, this website is a bit sluggish at times. I think the forum needs some of this:

http://i4.peapod.com/c/W5/W5ZHJ.jpg
In more ways than one?

Punzie
December 21st, 2006, 06:31 AM
"When life gives you slugs, you give them wheels."

http://eclectech.co.uk/b3ta/slugskateboarder.gif

ablarc
January 7th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Problem's still around. Anything to be done?

Edward?

ryan
January 7th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I haven't noticed on mac OSX 10.4.8 & Firefox 2.0.0.1

antinimby
January 7th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Seems to come and go.

Strange.

BrooklynRider
January 7th, 2007, 10:42 PM
I still get it occasionally. Is it the number of users or size of content? I have no idea what affects these things.

I blame everything on Time-Warner. I hate them. I'm in Park Slope, Brooklyn, if anyone has alternative service suggestions that exist in this area, please PM me.

Ninjahedge
January 11th, 2007, 10:12 AM
No, I think this was auto-post spmmage.

"fairsales" posted 4 posts in different threads/subforums all offering cheap electronics. Shortly AFTEr these appeared, the response time went back to normal...

What might be happening is an automatic system is spamming the sign-up page until somethnig works, then is "randomly" posts a bunch of sales threads around the board before scramming.

I hope there is a fix for this, but I guess that is what happens when a lot of people read your site!! ;)

BrooklynRider
January 16th, 2007, 09:36 AM
It is nearly impossible for me to access the site from home. It seems to have coicided with upgrade of Internet Explorer V.&. Anyone else getting this? Any suggestions for a remedy?

ZippyTheChimp
January 16th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Try this:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

It's free.

Yyou can have both IE and Firefox browsers on your computer at the same time.

BrooklynRider
January 16th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I get this message on Mozilla:

The connection has timed out

The server at www.wirednewyork.com is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
__________________________________________________ _____

(FYI - Firefox is permitted to access the web)
__________________________________________________ ________

I get this on IE:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems

More information
__________________________________________________ _________

This only happens on my home computer and it only happens with WiredNewYork. I deled all Temp Internet Files, All Cookies, All preset forms - EVERYTHING.

Any tech heads have any possible solutions? Very frustrating when I can't access the only site I want to access. The only correlation I can see is with upgrade to IE V.7. I imagine it could be another cause, but I'm in the dark.

lofter1
January 16th, 2007, 11:49 PM
How F***ing aggravating ^^^

I use IE and I sometimes get the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" response when I click into wny ...

Sometimes I just shut everything down and re-boot -- or shut down and walk away.

I also notice occasional nastiness when I'm on wny and then open a pdf file -- things just get gummy (even though I've just updated to the latest version of Acrobat).

Basically I'm 95% self-taught on computers so lots of this is Greek (Geek?) to me ...

But I feel for ya, BR ...

ZippyTheChimp
January 17th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Turn off any firewall.

Ninjahedge
January 17th, 2007, 10:28 AM
For me it wasn't the firewall that I know.

This morning it has been very responsive, but yesterday it was intermittently coughing up phlegm.

Other times it had problems, shortly afterwards I would see some ad-spam.

So I do not know if some of the backup may be from signup-bots trying to register and clogging the bandwidth for all of us.

Just a theory.

ManhattanKnight
January 17th, 2007, 10:29 AM
I've been seeing this a lot recently, usually when trying to enter the forums from the main WNY page:

Fabrizio
January 17th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Same notice here. Mac using Safari.

BrooklynRider
January 17th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I used www.a1proxy.com that Edward advised. It worked, but the fact that it is only Wired New York I am getting stuck on is perplexing. I'm not a total idiot with computers and yet I'm no genius either. It is just that it is consistently this website that frustrates the hell out of me.

It works fine from my work computer (here I am "working" again).

ZippyTheChimp
January 17th, 2007, 11:06 AM
For me it wasn't the firewall that I know.The common problem has to do with the Wired site - either a software problem or simply too much traffic.

BRs problem is in his computer, which is blocking access to WNY, but not other sites.

After reading the above, the problem may be that BRs IP address is being blocked by WNY. An anonymous proxy server hides your IP address.

BrooklynRider
January 17th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Can I do anything about that? Might my computer be spamming unbeknownst to me. I know it is my problem to fix, but I'd like to try if anyone knows how.

I'm using the full McAffee security center, including personal firewall, virus scan and privacy protection. I'm not using the Wndows firewall because it creates too many levels and makes the simple things hard.

Is it possible I might have blocked the Wired New York IP Address in some action? Would it only show as Wired New York or might it be showing as an actual IP address #?

ZippyTheChimp
January 17th, 2007, 11:37 AM
It's possible that you've blocked the WNY site. You can easily check that by disabling McAfee and see what happens. But if that's the case, you still wouldn't get access with a proxy server.

PM Edward.

stache
August 18th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I'm having a hard time getting 'new posts' to load.

lofter1
August 19th, 2010, 11:08 AM
This morning I'm noticing the same thing. Often a good minute between clicking "New Posts" and the page getting loaded and viewable.

stache
August 19th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Is there some way we can blame this on BR? ;)

Ninjahedge
August 19th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I have no problem here on my end this morning. I will keep this in mind when I log in tomorrow though......

Maybe it is something that started as a disagreement between Alonzo, Infoshare and BR that made Daquan unhappy and forced Fabrizio and MTG to get into an argument that depressed me and turned Obama into a Muslim.............

And that slowed the forum... :confused:

ablarc
September 15th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Forum getting sluggish in a different way.

Folkgs getting bored?

Ninjahedge
September 15th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Not enough construction going on, and many of the more active posters have either left, posted enough vapid subjects that only they respond to or have been banned for being insulting that they have stopped posting.

There are very few (Loft, Merry, being 2) that actually post new information. Most of us, myself included, just offer opinions on everything.

Even in that, a ew have dominated many topics and made it so that nobody really wants to respond.....so.....

Merry
September 15th, 2010, 09:52 AM
^ :)

I think the Cordoba thread should be closed. It's been stoned to death...

...and it's boring.

There's a lot more to NYC than that and the WTC.

Something else is bothering you and it is coming out in here.

I think you were on the money, NH...and we've been there and done that (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24075&page=2) umpteen times already :rolleyes:.

Is there an "Ignore This Thread" option?

:).

ZippyTheChimp
September 15th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Some people get locked on one topic.

Fabrizio
September 15th, 2010, 10:23 AM
The Cordoba thread is very active. I would call it a rather hot thread.

It would be one thing if it were a monotone series of articles with little participation from the forum at large (we've seen that here before).

Instead, the Cordoba thread is one of the rare threads here where there are many voices, many different people participating.

It also covers a little bit of everything: culture, building laws, the tea party-style protests, different aspects of Islam.... the entire project is absolutely fascinating and the forum has responded.

It is an excellent thread.

ablarc
September 15th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Yeah, actually it's the least sluggish part of the forum.

Merry
September 15th, 2010, 10:55 AM
We also now have 88 pages littered with varying degrees of ignorance and prejudice, which apparently just serves to perpetuate more of the same. I just think it's pointless arguing - and fighting - about it. Not fascinating.

Oh well, at least it's been moved to News and Politics so it doesn't interfere so much with architecture.

Fabrizio
September 15th, 2010, 11:05 AM
"We also now have 88 pages littered with varying degrees of ignorance and prejudice"

I beg your pardon.

Ninjahedge
September 15th, 2010, 11:27 AM
You aren't going to get it. :D

scumonkey
November 15th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Anyone else having problems getting the forum to open lately?
Late last night I couldn't get in at all, and it wouldn't open (off and on) today for me today as well.

EastMillinocket
November 15th, 2013, 06:17 PM
I think it's time to clean up the Amanda Knox thread. It takes up half of the bandwidth.

kz1000ps
December 4th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Anyone else getting "Database Error" messages half the time they come here?

stache
December 4th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Not me -

Nexis4Jersey
December 5th, 2014, 07:04 AM
No...I sometimes get that on other sites...

ZippyTheChimp
December 5th, 2014, 07:19 AM
There was some intermittent down time yesterday afternoon.

kz1000ps
January 7th, 2015, 06:13 PM
I swear, I can get to the main forum page with no problem but the individual sub-forum pages just time out. This is all I get probably 50% of the time I come here:

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/7421/0zzQIf.png

scumonkey
January 7th, 2015, 06:54 PM
no problems here...

kz1000ps
January 7th, 2015, 07:56 PM
huh, guess I need to relearn how to internet then...

stache
January 11th, 2015, 03:25 PM
I'm slow here but I'm on a new cheapie puter -