PDA

View Full Version : Dyker Lights

DAVET91
December 19th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Hi, I am visiting New York from England for 10 days over Christmas and New Year with my wife and 15 year old son. Itinerary almost complete, could someone please tell me if it is worth visiting the decorated houses in Dyker Heights, Brooklyn and the best way to get there from Manhattan.
Thanks, Dave.

Gulcrapek
December 28th, 2006, 06:43 PM
I'd say yes. One house in particular that's been the star of the show for the last who knows how many years. Not just lights, but moving figures, audio, etc. It's the Polizzotto house. This is a picture from gonyc of the santa in front of the house: http://z.about.com/d/gonyc/1/7/v/D/dyker_heights15.jpg

Description from another site:

" There's Alfred Polizzotto (1145 84th St.), who had a mechanical designer rig 29-foot-high toy soldiers to stand guard, waving their arms. Polizzotto also has 2,000-pound horses rearing and galloping, and a quartet of dancers almost 10 feet tall pirouetting in a massive ode to "The Nutcracker Suite." Polizzotto, a real estate lawyer and cancer survivor who got seriously involved in the Christmas madness to thank God for his illness' remission, estimates that the block draws 150,000 visitors a year."

I have to go now but I'll try to find out transit info later.