PDA

View Full Version : Sex & The City...The real New York?

Lolita88
December 20th, 2006, 04:08 PM
I was wondering since it seems that I am going to get to move to the city in Mid August, and I sort of want to know a bit of what to expect, do shows like Sex & The City portray the city as it truly is?:p

Just wondering...Oh and by the by, Thanks in Advanced for your answers.

spatulashack
December 20th, 2006, 04:29 PM
I was wondering since it seems that I am going to get to move to the city in Mid August, and I sort of want to know a bit of what to expect, do shows like Sex & The City portray the city as it truly is?:p

Just wondering...Oh and by the by, Thanks in Advanced for your answers.

Despite the criticism the show often receives from New Yorkers, the show does a good job representing Manhattan. The outer boroughs don't get much representation on the show however. Even so, Manhattan really IS that beautiful, especially in the areas the characters were supposed to reside. However, if you aren't wealthy, don't expect the exterior locations from the show to pop up on your door step.

Lolita88
December 20th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Yeah I figured as much, I mean I know it wont all be beautiful all the time and as much as I wish I could have Carrie's wardrobe (or even afford a knockoff version of her amazing wardrobe) I am not rich and I know that. Im a huge fan of the show and from visits I atleast thought the city was well represented, Carrie even got mugged once. LOL

It would be hard to get discouraged for me however since even the dirtiness and smells of New York represented realness to me and that in my opinion is beautiful.

Punzie
December 20th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Despite the criticism the show often receives from New Yorkers, the show does a good job representing Manhattan.

I disagree. It's Hollywood's version of Manhattan. L88, if you want to get the real flavor of Manhattan and the outter boroughs, watch reruns of Seinfeld.:)

lofter1
December 20th, 2006, 06:59 PM
It was a fairy tale ...

Schadenfrau
December 20th, 2006, 07:38 PM
No, that show was a horror story.

If people want to watch it, fine. But if you do, please do all of NYC a favor and don't try to pretend that you're a character on Sex and the City every time you leave the house.

Lolita88
December 20th, 2006, 09:12 PM
No, that show was a horror story.

If people want to watch it, fine. But if you do, please do all of NYC a favor and don't try to pretend that you're a character on Sex and the City every time you leave the house.

I dont think it was so much of a horror story but hey to each its own, however I agree, I live in Miami and I know of some people that think they are one of the characters. Its annoying, like when I turn off the tv then thats it I want real life! lol I laugh at them mostly.

Ninjahedge
December 21st, 2006, 09:08 AM
I thought the show was funny, but living in a dream world.

If I met any of these women in real life I would have hate them. They are all exxaggerations of people that teh writers knew in their life. From neurotic, to uber-professional, to sex starved to shoe fetishist.

The city they show is only partially realistic in that the areas are right, and there are plenty of parties and whatnot, but most people (myself included) have never been to, seen, or heard of any party being like the ones shown.

Also "Carrie" finding someone like Mikhail Baryshnikov as a famous ecclectic and rich artist living in a palace is SO over the top fantasy that the show went from a satirical look at the sex lives of people in the city to a grown up Cinderella.

So take it with a LARGE grain of salt. Laugh at it, and se some of the great areas of NYC in there, but do not think that it really represents NYC.

Seinfeld was much better, but even he lived in the impossibly large apartment in NYC (It is hard to represent a true NYC apartment in a studio when one wall is removed....).

Are there any other shows, current, that anyone can think of that truly represent ALL of NYC, not just its bright side or "underbelly"?

Schadenfrau
December 21st, 2006, 12:09 PM
I thought that The Odd Couple was quite accurate, especially for the time period and characters involved.

ManhattanKnight
December 21st, 2006, 12:22 PM
do shows like Sex & The City portray the city as it truly is?

Do you get the Robin Byrd Show in Miami? It's a much more accurate portrayal of The City "as it truly is" and is where the real "Mr. Big" hangs out. His TV counterpart can now be seen riding the subway late at night, solo:

http://cache.gawker.com/news/nothslip1.jpg

Lolita88
December 21st, 2006, 01:27 PM
I havent seen the Robin Byrd show...Is there any website you may be able to get me...And Wow can you say DOWN GRADE for mr.Big... It must be tough going around in town cars for so long and then all of a sudden your on a subway car alone. Oh well...I wouldnt mind either.:p

lofter1
December 21st, 2006, 04:53 PM
Aren't all the Robin Byrd shows at least 10 years old?

ManhattanKnight
December 21st, 2006, 05:09 PM
I havent seen the Robin Byrd show...Is there any website you may be able to get me....:p

I don't know if posting that kind of link is allowed here, but Google will get you there.

Schadenfrau
December 21st, 2006, 05:26 PM
Oh my, the Robin Byrd Show. It's still around.

BryanSereny
January 2nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
Keep you place in Miami if you own it. I'd give you 1-2 winters at most before you move back to Miami.

I dont think it was so much of a horror story but hey to each its own, however I agree, I live in Miami and I know of some people that think they are one of the characters. Its annoying, like when I turn off the tv then thats it I want real life! lol I laugh at them mostly.

Lolita88
January 3rd, 2007, 01:08 PM
Keep you place in Miami if you own it. I'd give you 1-2 winters at most before you move back to Miami.

Trust me, that wont be happening. The only way Id move back is if Im dragged out of New York by my hair. Plus I LOVE the cold! And I mean COLD!:o

lorcar
January 4th, 2007, 02:17 PM
cmon
don't scare her!
i moved to nyc 6 months ago, and i love it. Still don't think it's my city, wonder if never will happen. Also i have to find a way to stay after i finish my studies, so...
anyhow, coming from italy, i love this city, even though the people seem to think i am crazy since i am supposed to come from the most beautiful country in the world...i spent last 10 years in Milan, and there is no way to compare the two. Besides the food (and i mean the whole italian thing about food, the relevance given to it, the food you can cook at home, the food bought in street-mkts, not the food in restaurants, excellent in NY) NY is much better than Milan: the people, the weather, the city itself everything is much better.
btw i also read you looked for info about Morningside heights. i live there, it's ok, you'll be fine.

Lolita88
January 4th, 2007, 06:00 PM
btw i also read you looked for info about Morningside heights. i live there, it's ok, you'll be fine.

Thanks so much. Yeah Im so dedicated to my move its almost scary. I know its sad to admit but I come on Wired New York atleast 3 times a day, everyday to make sure I get the most info possible. (My name is Lola and I have a problem LOL) Ill make it, and hey who knows we may just be neighbors.:p