PDA

View Full Version : See-Saws in NYC?

BrooklynYorker
December 20th, 2006, 09:56 PM
I can't seem to find a See-Saw in NY anymore. There use to be so many and now they're all gone. :confused:

Does anyone know of any parks in NYC with a See-Saw? Preferably in Manhattan.

Thanks! :)

sean
December 23rd, 2006, 12:37 AM
Can't verify it, but I asked my neighborhood "official" this question a few years ago when he visited my HS social studies class... he said they caused too many lawsuits and were phased out. I miss them too. :rolleyes:

shocka
December 24th, 2006, 12:11 PM
With the way people sue over the stupidest things nowadays soon parks will be an area with a padded floor and nothing else! It will prob be to close to a McDonalds and parents will sue the city because their kid if getting fat and then the park will close.

Punzie
December 25th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Does anyone know of any parks in NYC with a See-Saw? Preferably in Manhattan.

I would be shocked if there still were see-saws -- the kind we used and loved, anyway -- in public playgrounds. Parents have figured out that every piece of playground equipment is a potential winning lottery ticket.

About 15 years ago, my town removed the see-saw and merry-go-round from the playground near me. Then came the "space ship," the monkey bars, the big slide, the little slide...

Four years ago they removed the child-friendly swings in the sand pit. They also removed the sand pit and all the sand boxes. Three years ago they removed the tall, gate-like backstop in the baseball diamond because children climbed on it. For the same reason, most of the trees have been chopped down. About two years ago they stopped allowing any type of ball game.

Now there's nothing but a gigantic lawn. But hey, at least the town won't find itself in a lawsuit...

Until a kid trips on the grass.