PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for an ID? (this has nothing to do with fake id's, lol)

haloperi
December 23rd, 2006, 08:48 AM
Hi, first time poster here.
Well, umm, okay, I'm sure you don't care about that...

Anyway, so I hear that about 80% of New Yorkers don't have driver's license...

I live in California (moving soon) and we Californians use our driver's license for everything because.. well.. like 80% of Californians HAVE a driver's license.

So, yeah, what do you guys use for ID?

Thanks ;D

718Bound
December 23rd, 2006, 11:35 AM
You can go to the DMV and get a non drivers ID in NY if you don't have (or lose) your drivers license.

ZippyTheChimp
December 23rd, 2006, 11:37 AM
Drivers license.

Most people who live in Manhattan don't own cars, but a high number of New Yorkers have a license.

3,276,000 citywide.

Schadenfrau
December 23rd, 2006, 01:21 PM
I use a passport and let my drivers license expire years ago.

lofter1
December 23rd, 2006, 01:37 PM
Mainly I use my NYS Drivers License.

When I first moved to NYC I made the mistake of letting my driver's license lapse (I thought, what's the big deal -- I never drive?) ...

BIG mistake, as I was required to go to Driving Class in Manhattan for 5 Hours (someone should write a Sit-Com about one of those places ;) ) before I could get a new license -- plus I had to do the driving test in the streets of downtown :mad: . I passed and got the license but it was a huge hassle and waste of time ...

ManhattanKnight
December 23rd, 2006, 01:58 PM
When I came to NYC from Ohio to go to school, I kept and used my Ohio driver's license and planned to exchange it for a NY license if I remained here after graduation. A few weeks before I got my degree but after I had landed a job and apartment here, a mugger got my license and everything else in my wallet. At that point, I couldn't credibly claim to be a resident of Ohio and ask to have my license reissued. Since then, I've never gone to the trouble of getting a NY license and have seldom even wanted to have one.

For ID purposes, there's nothing better than a US passport. I also carry a NY Non-Driver Photo ID card for those occasions when two forms of government-issued photo ID are needed.

ablarc
December 23rd, 2006, 02:27 PM
For ID purposes, there's nothing better than a US passport. I also carry a NY Non-Driver Photo ID card for those occasions when two forms of government-issued photo ID are needed.
What will you do when the mugger gets those?

Schadenfrau
December 23rd, 2006, 04:10 PM
Get new ones?

I don't understand why people always freak out about the idea of someone stealing their passport as opposed to a drivers license. Is there something I'm missing?

ablarc
December 23rd, 2006, 04:55 PM
Times have changed. You now have to be checked out. They make a lot of mistakes.

Jake
December 23rd, 2006, 09:03 PM
Wait, you can actually live in NYC without a driver's license????

I had to show my license just to go to a skating rink in Staten Island last week.

lofter1
December 23rd, 2006, 09:53 PM
I don't understand why people always freak out about the idea of someone stealing their passport as opposed to a drivers license.

Passport will cost you a little more ...

Renewal Passport (http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/renew/renew_833.html) : $67 fee payable to the U.S. Department of State

NYS Driver's License ( New/Original (http://www.nysdmv.com/licefee.htm) ) :

Class D or Class DJ:

18 to 21: $62.50 - $65.00

21 and older: $52.50 - $55.00
NYS Driver's License ( Renewal (http://www.nysdmv.com/licrenew.htm#fee) ) :

Class D or Class DJ - $50.00

Formula86
December 23rd, 2006, 11:56 PM
Plus, passports hold sentimental value for some people (with all the stamps, etc).

shocka
December 24th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Get new ones?

I don't understand why people always freak out about the idea of someone stealing their passport as opposed to a drivers license. Is there something I'm missing?

Here is one reason, if you do fly alot. Reporting your passport stolen or lost can result in your name being added to a security watch list. This means everytime you go through security they will pull you aside and search you!
As someone who has to fly weekly for work that would just be an additional hassle.

Also as a guy carrying a passport is a lot bulkier then a drivers license.