PDA

View Full Version : How far will the average taxi travel? To CT? NJ?

bsjd00
December 25th, 2006, 11:33 PM
I have family out in CT and NJ. If I ever needed to get out of state for a family emergency, would a taxi driver be willing to take me? If not, what would be good alternatives in this type of situation?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Deimos
December 26th, 2006, 12:43 AM
You could take the train close to your family, and then just keep the phone # of a local cab company in the area to drive you from the station to your final destination. It shouldn't take all that much longer (depending on how far you are from the relevant train stations), but it would definitely be a significant amount less expensive.

Alterntively, car services will take you any distance you want (for a fee), although for long distances, they can be a cheaper alternative to cabs.

bsjd00
December 26th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks for your quick and helpful reply!

MikeW
December 26th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Driving back from Atlantic City, I say a NYC medalion cab on the Garden State Pkwy, heading north, just north of AC. He had the availability light on (and not off duty).

I guess someone didn't want to take the bus down.

Punzie
December 27th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Are you 21+ and do you have a driver's license and credit card? Rent a car.

Do advance research: Which rental places near you are open 24 hours? Which ones can give you a car on the spot? Comparison shop for a good price/package.

You may want to get yourself "pre-approved" and "processed" at two of these places. It's no money down; it's just a way to quicken things up if you suddenly need a car.