PDA

View Full Version : Light pollution violations?

Jake
December 28th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I live across the street from a school who has recently installed four lights on the side of their building that are supposed to be aimed at flags hanging directly in front of them.

Unfortunately the lights are floodlights and are aimed straight at my building across the street. Some fifty people in my building currently have so much light in their bedrooms that you can read a book with the blinds closed.

A letter from the residents went out today to the school but I was wondering if this situation is actually a breach of any laws? What city agency would handle a case such as this? Thanks.

lofter1
December 28th, 2006, 06:33 PM
This POST (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136444&postcount=9) touches on the problem you're having ...

Councilman Alan Gerson, whose district includes SoHo, NoHo and the Lower East Side, is drafting legislation to control certain flashing illuminated billboards, private security lights on roofs and other such “nuisance” lights.

Write to your Community Board and to your City Council member -- the more people you can get to make some noise the more likely you'll get results.

Writing just once might not do the trick. Be the proverbial squeaky wheel ...

Jake
December 28th, 2006, 08:00 PM
^thanks. So far we've got some thirty signatures so if the school doesn't respond the city councilman will be getting a letter.