PDA

View Full Version : Long Island City

Gunslinger
December 29th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Hi Guys
Have just started planning my trip to NYC next year. Been several times recently - always with friends and this time am likely to be on my own.

Need to keep costs down and the largest of these will be accomodation - I'm still too old to want to share a dorm or bathrooms and was looking on line at some hotels in Long Island City - seen a couple of chains which although not very special; look like they'll offer a bed and safe place to sleep

Would like some confirmation that the area is ok and the transport links will also be up to scratch. Will be attending baseball games in Bronx, Staten Island and Queens plus exploring more of Manhattan and the outer boroughs, which I have neglected a little; until now

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Matt

OmegaNYC
January 2nd, 2007, 11:32 AM
LIC isn't that bad of an area. In fact, many people are moving there. It is only one or two subway stops from Midtown. You can take a Manhattan bound 7 train from Court House Square, Hunter Points Ave, or Vernon-Jackson Ave. You will arive in Midtown in a matter of minuets. If you're going to be watching ball games in the Bronx (I assume maybe the Yankees) Just take the 7 to Grand Central, and transfer to the 4 going uptown. If you're going to Shea in Queens, just take the 7 going Queens bound. If you're going to Staten Island, Take the 7 to Times Square, then transfer to a downtown 1 train all the way to South Ferry. You can take the SI ferry there. I hope that helps!

shocka
January 2nd, 2007, 11:43 AM
I am a huge fan of LIC, but for a tourist, I dont think its a great place to stay for a vacation. The hotels are in random areas and are not that nice. You might be better off looking at Midtown West, when ever people come to visit I point them to the holiday inn on the west side.

Gunslinger
January 4th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the advice Shocka

Have been to NYC several times in the last few years and would love to stay in Manhattan but not sure the finances will stretch to that - coming on my own for the first time means not being able to share the cost of a room.

Have stayed in apartments in Chelsea - Midtown and upper east hotels so won't be missing out, experience-wise
It will be either LIC or Jersey City to keep the costs down - let's put it this way; it's either cheap accomodation or not coming at all !!!

shocka
January 4th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Have been to NYC several times in the last few years and would love to stay in Manhattan but not sure the finances will stretch to that - coming on my own for the first time means not being able to share the cost of a room.

Have stayed in apartments in Chelsea - Midtown and upper east hotels so won't be missing out, experience-wise
It will be either LIC or Jersey City to keep the costs down - let's put it this way; it's either cheap accomodation or not coming at all !!!

Understandable...

shocka
January 5th, 2007, 01:45 AM

Hey so I realized I never told you about Club Quarters, they have locations in Midtown, Times Square and Financial District. Normally you have to be a member of a company that has a deal with them but I have seen expedia with CQ rates.

Check it out.. you can end up in Manhattan at an Affordable rate, but in a small room.. the real NYC life style!

Gregory Tenenbaum
January 5th, 2007, 06:27 AM
I recommend east midtown, specifically Turtle Bay area myself. Here's why:

1. Close to the Beautiful East River

2. Great Bars and Clubs on 2nd Av

3. You get close up to the Chrysler Building and UN every morning.

4. Close to Grand Central.

5. Breakfast at the Comfort Diner.

G.T.