PDA

View Full Version : Westin Times Square or W Times Square

Thirty
December 29th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Hi there, my boyfriend is 30 on February 15th and I am going to surprise him with a 1st time trip to New York. He likes contemporary, stylish, unusual, trendy places and I thought these two hotels looked like they'd be suitable. He has always said he wants to wake up on his birthday with a view of Times Square. Is this the place to be? Never been before.... If not any suggestions. We will be arriving JFK at 6pm on the 15th Feb and I wanted to go somewhere for dinner in Times Square any suggestions. Any other comments on a 3 day stay would be appreciated. Thanx.

Schadenfrau
December 29th, 2006, 12:10 PM
W hotels are more stylish than Westins, if that's all that matters.

pacz
December 29th, 2006, 01:56 PM
The beds at Westin are amazing! They are so comfortable. It is also a great looking building.

ManhattanKnight
December 29th, 2006, 02:11 PM
^The Westin's not on Times Square; so if boyfriend literally wants to wake up to a view of Times Square, he's going to be disappointed. Sleeping in a gutter there used to work.

LeCom
December 29th, 2006, 02:21 PM
W is your best bet. Been to both, within hours of each other, W devastates Westin.

MrShakespeare
December 29th, 2006, 02:47 PM
I have been to the Westin; have not been to the W. I can recommend the Westin to you. It is just off Times Square, which is a very good thing, as the Square is chaotic until early morning. That might not be the best thing for a romantic getaway! The building is only a few years old, and is somewhat tall, so there are good views from the hotel rooms. There is a Shula's steak house on one of the lower floors, which might be convenient.

The Marriott Marquis is another big hotel that is just off Times Square. I have stayed there. It is not remarkable from the outside, but the rooms are nice enough and the elevators are interesting (as they are glass on the inside, I think to the top of the building, which is 40 or so floors - I stayed on 43, I recall). You can view Times Square from this hotel.

I recommend Kimpton Hotels, and there are two in NYC, one is not far from Times Square: http://www.kimptonhotels.com/hotels_newyorkcity.aspx

They are small and extremely hip, and might be what you are seeing in that regard. ...Have stayed at their hotels in DC and wouldn't stay anywhere else in that city. I expect the same is true for their places in NYC.

LeCom
December 29th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Just remember, Westin will not grant views of Times Square itself.

antinimby
December 30th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Correct, the Westin will only give you a partial view.

You will probably see an empty lot across 42nd St and the new NY Times building to the south and Eighth Ave. to the north.

I do have to provide you with a warning though.

While the W TS is right in Times Square, the lousy designers of the building (SLCE) made it such that there are very few windows facing B'dway so there won't be much of a view either.

Ultimately, I think it's a toss up.

lofter1
December 30th, 2006, 01:23 AM
While the W TS is right in Times Square, the lousy designers of the building (SLCE) made it such that there are very few windows facing B'dway so there won't be much of a view either.

That was done to afford that fugly eastern-facing blank wall for advertising & signage ...

Odd though, in all the years that the W building has been there the vast expanse of advertising space up high on that wall has hardly been sold.

Did they change the signage rules on them after the building went up? Or are their rates too high?

Thirty
December 30th, 2006, 06:47 AM
That was done to afford that fugly eastern-facing blank wall for advertising & signage ...

Odd though, in all the years that the W building has been there the vast expanse of advertising space up high on that wall has hardly been sold.

Did they change the signage rules on them after the building went up? Or are their rates too high?

Thanks Every1. So if the Westin and W Times Square aren't that great please can you offer me some alternatives in a busy area or overlooking Central Park (high floors). Thanx.

lofter1
December 30th, 2006, 10:58 AM
If you should want to rent that wall here's the info ...

Site 146 » Broadway Spire - W Hotel

1567 Broadway between 46th & 47th

http://www.spectacolor.com/loc/detail.asp?id=114

http://www.spectacolor.com/loc/files/largepic-114.JPG

Facing: East

Size: ±320' high x ±46' 11 wide

Description:
Spectacular wallscape on the east face of the flagship W Hotel in the heart of Times Square.
Sight lines from the celebrated bow tie area.
Faces traffic heading west on 47th and 45th Streets and visible from the many corporate towers on Avenue of the Americas.
Across from TKTS where thousands stand on line each day for theater tickets.
Across from the Times Square Visitors Center and Virgin Megastore.