PDA

View Full Version : Real Portryal of NYC? Friends? Will & Grace? Other?

haloperi
December 31st, 2006, 12:49 PM
What would YOU say is the closest portrayal of NYC life?
Friends? Will & Grace? Sex and the City? other?

MrSpice
December 31st, 2006, 01:39 PM

Certainly not any of the sitcoms you just mentioned. Friends, Seinfeld and other sitcoms about life in New York are usually filmed on a set in Los Angeles and don't give any real idea about life in the city. I would say that old Woody Allen movies like Annie Hall come close...

lofter1
December 31st, 2006, 03:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qDaXvGGhp4

http://www.cinemacom.com/noir/nakedCity374.jpg

vanshnookenraggen
January 1st, 2007, 05:06 PM
When I talk to people from around the world who haven't been to NYC many of them ask me if it is really like Friends. While I don't think any show can truly capture NY since it is different for everyone, I've always felt it is mostly like Seinfeld.

BrooklynRider
January 1st, 2007, 10:10 PM
None of those are real or even close portrayls. The truly closest portrayl was the the 1970's sitcom "All In The Family." The house, the contradictory attitudes, the interior, and the bar.

shocka
January 2nd, 2007, 11:52 AM

I wish I lived in an apartment with 2 hot women living across the hall.

lofter1
January 2nd, 2007, 12:27 PM
A NYC apartment such as was shown on "Friends" exists only on Los Angeles soundstage ...

ManhattanKnight
January 2nd, 2007, 12:40 PM
Hollywood's NYC characters, both middle class and blue collar, often live in impossibly large apartments. In an earlier age, programs like The Honeymooners and I Love Lucy were much more realistic, though the Ricardo's kitchen was way too large and had a back door.

shocka
January 2nd, 2007, 12:48 PM
A NYC apartment such as was shown on "Friends" exists only on Los Angeles soundstage ...

Hahaha very true.. how about the fact that it was always so empty in front of Central Perk.

Schadenfrau
January 2nd, 2007, 02:41 PM
Did anyone on Will and Grace or Friends ever go anywhere but the office or a friend's apartment? I always found it so weird that no one on those shows ever rides the subway.

Front_Porch
January 2nd, 2007, 03:04 PM
Did anyone on Will and Grace or Friends ever go anywhere but the office or a friend's apartment? I always found it so weird that no one on those shows ever rides the subway.

Because sitcoms only work economically when they don't have very many sets; I've heard half-hour shows try to limit themselves to three.

I always thought "Becker" was a slightly better take on NYC -- everybody gets annoyed by their co-workers, the diner's not fakely clean, and even Jon, the doctor, hates his apartment.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

Schadenfrau
January 2nd, 2007, 03:15 PM
I understand the set issue, but I don't recall anyone even making reference to the subway. I do recall a few Seinfeld episodes where they were driving around Manhattan, though.

I wonder how much stuff like that contributes to the surprising number of non-New Yorkers who seem to think that we all just hop in our cars and drive to a midtown office for work.

ThisIsntMyRealName
January 2nd, 2007, 03:24 PM
Hollywood's NYC characters, both middle class and blue collar, often live in impossibly large apartments. In an earlier age, programs like The Honeymooners and I Love Lucy were much more realistic, though the Ricardo's kitchen was way too large and had a back door.

"Lucy, Use got some splaining to do!!!!!!!!"

ZippyTheChimp
January 2nd, 2007, 04:46 PM
I understand the set issue, but I don't recall anyone even making reference to the subway. I do recall a few Seinfeld episodes where they were driving around Manhattan, though.

I wonder how much stuff like that contributes to the surprising number of non-New Yorkers who seem to think that we all just hop in our cars and drive to a midtown office for work.There were several Seinfeld episodes that involved subway rides.

One was titled The Subway.Two of the subplots: Elaine is on her way to a lesbian wedding carrying a large gift. The crowded train gets stuck between stations, and Elaine mentally unravels. George convinces a woman that he's a big shot. They get a hotel room. He thinks the sex is going to be kinky when she ties him to the bed; she plans on robbing him.

Many of the episodes dealt with NY themes:

Owning a car in Manhattan: backup or pull in parking.

The cache of the 212 area code.

Living in Manhattan with parents in the boroughs.

Lighted signs shining in apartment windows.

Apartment availability by death.

Stranded in the burbs without a car.

Alternate side parking: George starts a "business" moving cars to the other side of the street.

Getting too friendly with your building residents.

ramvid01
January 2nd, 2007, 07:30 PM
I think that Seinfeld gives the best portrayal of NYC, but it's not perfect. Btw the Subway episode is one of my favorite episodes from Seinfeld.

shocka
January 3rd, 2007, 12:29 AM
One thing I noticed last season watching the show Love Inc. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460656/); which didnt last long, they had quiet a few subway scenes, but NONE were actually a NYC subway car, they kind of looked with the Chicago El Cars.

dtolman
January 8th, 2007, 11:43 AM
At the moment - no question How I Met Your Mother. They take cabs and subways, the apartments are not terribly oversized, and they actually show them going to jobs in office buildings, schools, etc.

spatulashack
January 14th, 2007, 02:17 PM
The fact of the matter is that New York is so diverse that all the shows can represent a piece of the city. Sienfeld appears the most realistic to most of us because we simply can't afford to live like they do on shows like Will and Grace. To say an apartment like the one shown in Friends only exists on a soundstage is false. I have wealthy friends with apartments as nice if not nicer. The reason shows like Friends are unrealistic is because the characters are never depicted as wealthy. However, there are people who live like the characters from all the New York shows I've seen. There can't really be a show to sum up a city as large and diverse as New York.

lofter1
January 14th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Can you show me an apartment with an open floor plan / layout in a building near CPW that is anything like what the gang in Friends had? And be sure to keep in mind that ceiling height ...

Ninjahedge
January 15th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Most shows have that problem for two reasons, one being the fact that yoiu have to keep on ehalf open for the cameras and possibly audience. this makes rooms like Jerries Living room look impossibly large (although the kitchen remodeling episode was appropriately funny...)

I think Seinfeld, especially the first 4 seasons ranks up there. Taxi is another, Mad About You is close.

All the other ones are either impossibly elite (Sex in the City) or misplaced (An unemployed chef and her roommate can afford a apartment that size in the city? Especially when the roommate only had a gob as a waitress at a coffee shop for a while?) I liked Friends, but never saw it as NYC.

Becker? Sorta. The coffee shop with the blind newsstand in the corner was more than a little muh, but it seemed a bit more grounded (John not liking his indian neighbors playing loud music was bitter, but true in some areas. Neighbors can be a BIG problem in the city...)

But the list I would settle at would be mine, plus some I agree with:

Taxi
Mad About You
Seinfeld
All in the Family
The Honeymooners (for the time)
I Love Lucy (for the time, and small exceptions)

ZippyTheChimp
January 15th, 2007, 09:22 AM
You need a big space to plop a sofa down in the middle of a room. Unfortunately, it doesn't work well for camera shots if it's put against a wall.

Sometimes you'll see this done for apartment sets that are only used occasionally, but for the main set, it's always away from the wall.

antinimby
January 15th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Speaking of couches in the middle of the living room, who here remembers Married with Children?

That's one of my favorite sitcoms. :D

http://www.bundyology.com/sfg/510s2.jpg