PDA

View Full Version : Dress Code for Broadway Show

drdaddy
January 1st, 2007, 02:08 PM
Hi. We are coming next week for a wedding but we are going to see Spamalot on Wednesday. We haven't been to a Broadway show in many years. What is appropriate these days for an evening show, not a Saturday? (Remember though, it IS Monty Python!) Probably have a very casual dinner before the show so I am not worried about what to wear there.

Thanks.

And Happy New Year to all!

Rob

Edward
January 1st, 2007, 05:03 PM
There is no dress code

BrooklynRider
January 1st, 2007, 10:15 PM
It really depends. With non-discounted tickets going for $111 dollars, theater goers pay enough to wear whatever the hell they please.

I go to theater often and two things stick out like sore thumbs: (1) overdressed people in gowns, sequins, and too much make up and (2) slobs wearing jeans and t-shirts. Somewhere between the two is the right combo (in my opinion). If you are going for pre-theater dinner, comfy casual or dress for lady and jacket for gentleman, but no jeans.

drdaddy
January 1st, 2007, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. I figure there is not that much of a dress code any more. I am sure many wear jeans but I guess a sports jacket would be more than most would wear these days, especially for a "casual" style show.

shocka
January 1st, 2007, 11:04 PM
I just dress clean, but to be honest it does not matter. Wear what you are comfortable in.