PDA

View Full Version : Grease on Broadway

dotfan8154
January 3rd, 2007, 01:38 PM
So there's a new production of Grease being made for Broadway but this time they are casting the lead roles through network-television. That's right, NBC has made a reality show to find the new Danny and Sandra. Anyone heard about this? It's premiering this weekend, Jan 7th @ 8 PM. Should be interesting. Anyone planning on watching?

Fabrizio
January 3rd, 2007, 05:06 PM
I watched it a million years ago (give or take a century) in PREVIEWS at the long-gone Eden Theatre on the Lower East Side.

Pizza at the Orchedia.

NYatKNIGHT
January 3rd, 2007, 06:08 PM
I know someone who auditioned just so she could be on the t.v. show. She won't be on Broadway, but I may have to tune in to see if her dream came true.

BrooklynRider
January 3rd, 2007, 07:57 PM
The idea is cute, but these shows that look for the "next big star" are redundant and tiresome. There are so many good, talented, trained theater pro's out there, I think it is kind of insulting to the industry as a whole to present this as somethig anyone can do.

Look how Julianne Moore and Julia Roberts tanked on Broadway. Think back to Jennifer Jason Leigh in Cabaret or Toni Braxton in Aida. Yikes were they bad.

Theater is different and requires a command of the stage. A popularity contest on TV is going to produce a moron like that guy "Constantino" from American Idol. He sucked so bad on Broadway I watched people walk out on him (I had a comp ticket - so I endured).

Jersey Boys just raised ticket prices today to $116.50 per ticket. Buy your tickets online and that adds another $7 to the cost. Who is going to pay $120 bucks to see a show that had a revival that dragged in every has been and wannabe just 10 years ago.

This new show is not "the one that I want."

Sounds like crap and I'm sure we'll get treated to three judges: one sweet and complimentary, the other on again off again critical, and the final one nasty as all hell. Hmmm... Where did I see this format before?

The commercials were cute. Bravo to the marketers. I won't be tuning in.

dotfan8154
January 4th, 2007, 03:18 PM
That's cool that you know someone who auditioned.

And as far as the judges go, it's Jim Jacobs (who co-wrote Grease), Kathleen Marshall (whose going to choreograph the broadway production), and David Ian (the producer of the show). Can't be too bad with them as judges, right?

lofter1
January 17th, 2007, 09:48 AM
WON'T GIVE 'GREASE' A CHANCE

nypost.com (http://www.nypost.com/seven/01172007/entertainment/theater/wont_give_grease_a_chance_theater_michael_riedel.h tm)
By MICHAEL RIEDEL
January 17, 2007

The TV reality show "You're the One That I Want" isn't having the wanted effect at the box office for the upcoming Broadway revival.

The only thing sliding faster in the ratings than Katie Couric is "You're the One That I Want."

The NBC reality show about the casting of the upcoming revival of "Grease" attracted just 8 million viewers last Sunday, a drop of more than 3 million from the previous week.

More ominously, the program, which has been trashed by TV critics, finished fourth among 18- to 49-year-olds, the demographic that makes advertisers drool.

The Post's Adam Buckman says the lackluster ratings will probably put a damper on future Broadway reality shows.

"I don't think you're going to see 'If I Were the New Rich Man,' " he jokes.

"Grease," which opens on Broadway this summer, took in more than $1 million at the box office last week following the debut of "You're the One That I Want."

But there's been no spike at the box office this week, and people involved in the revival are starting to realize they can't rely on the TV show to generate ticket sales.

"It's not turning out to be the magic bullet we'd hoped," one insider says.

The TV show is certainly not winning any fans around Broadway.

Working actors think it demeans their profession, while the industry's movers and shakers say it makes the theater business look tacky and cheap.

A group of theater people who winced through the latest installment called it "appalling," "sloppy" and "unwatchable," among other things.

One Broadway performer, asked why she didn't audition for the show (the nationwide casting calls were open to members of Actors Equity), put it this way: "You don't work your whole life to get an agent and then have to go stand on some hideous line to audition in front of television cameras."

Like all reality shows, "You're the One That I Want" tries to get mileage out of sniggering at grotesque people who would never, under any circumstances, have a shot at playing the sexy leads in a Broadway show.

And so you have fat middle-aged women trying out for the role of 16-year-old Sandy.

Two of the judges, the reptilian producer David Ian and "Grease" co-writer Jim Jacobs, happily stick it to the pathetic cases. To her credit, the third judge, Kathleen Marshall, the director of the revival, does not.

An actor who knows her well says Marshall is "a lovely person who does not get off on making fun of other people.

"I hope she's getting paid a lot of money for this."

There's been some talk that Andrew Lloyd Webber - who created the format with his very successful "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?" in England, about the casting of "The Sound of Music" - will appear as a guest judge in future episodes.

But I'm told Lloyd Webber may steer clear, since he's hoping to launch his own reality show in America - this one casting "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" - and is reluctant to be associated with a show that continues to slip in the ratings.

In the meantime, people involved in the revival of "Grease" cling to the belief that, even if the TV show flops, there's still a huge audience for the musical itself. "It's one of the most successful titles of all time," says one. "It won't be tainted by a bad reality TV show."

Then again, with eight episodes to go, there's still plenty of damage to be done.

Copyright 2007 NYP Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved.

Ninjahedge
January 17th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I hope tehy got the mesage and try to portray the difficulty and all the process that the people went through to get here.

An occasional rediculous snipped might be good for a chuckle, but they cannot get that Asian dude to come on again to audition for Travolta's part! (I forget his name, not that it is important to remember!)

But the snippet should be more along te lines of ACTUAL REALITY! In a usual casting call, do you get people like that? If so, how many? How are they usually handled? If I were a casting agent, I would simply look at people that did not fit the bill and tell them sorry before they even got to the door.

I think they should be concentrating more on "Chorus Line" rather than "American Idol" when doing this. I hope they learn a le$$on.

BrooklynRider
January 17th, 2007, 11:06 AM
I think it is a stupid idea and truly insulting to actors who have paid their dues. Whatever the theater pedigree of the three judges, it has been wiped clean by this tripe.

It would have been more nteresting to have an open call for Equity Actors and filmed a real casting call as Ninja alluded to with his mention of "A Chorus Line."

The damage this does to legitimate theater and particularly the "Broadway" brand is irreparable. Broadway productions are not akin to high school productions, which this show certainly makes it out to be.

Yet, it explains why Broadway appeals to tourists who give any crap production a standing ovation - just to make themselves feel like they have been to a spectacular show.

Off Broadway and Off-Off Broadway are performing pieces that blow Broadway out of the water. It's probably why the best Broadway productions are Off-Broadway transfers.