PDA

View Full Version : housing projects

juveboy640
January 4th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I am not from New York, but am writing a story where the main character is a 14 year old white anglo saxon from a bad part of New York city. I need to decide which part of New York City he should come from, but understand that a lot of the housing projects and bad areas are populated by Italians, Hispanics, Blacks etc, and would not be typical places to find a white anglo-saxon teen. Can anyone please tell me the bad areas in New York City which are populated mainly by white anglo saxons, or at least have a fair percentage living there. It's nothing to do with being discriminatory, I just need my story to be realistic. It doesn't matter which borough, as long as it's one of the five.

Thank you very much.

MrSpice
January 4th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I don't know of such an area in New York City - just being honest here. New York City is a city of immigrants. There are many poor or relatively poor areas populated by Russians, Hasidic Jews, Polish immigrants, etc. Most anglo-saxon Americans in New York City live in middle- or upper-class areas.

Schadenfrau
January 4th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Howard Beach.

Schadenfrau
January 4th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Juveboy, there's no reason for you to start three threads about the same subject.

I've given this advice before, but if you know so little about the subject of your story, you'd do better to stick to something you're more familiar with.

lofter1
January 4th, 2007, 09:47 PM
And as a reporter or writer it will serve you well to bone up on your research skills, rather than simply asking for information and letting others trot it out for you. :cool:

antinimby
January 4th, 2007, 11:49 PM
The Lower East Side is the neighborhood you are looking for.

Schadenfrau
January 5th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Maybe in 1907.

viralmd
January 6th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I would agree that you need to do your own research, rather than let others give you glib answers. Write about what you know.

delboy
January 6th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I have put a link in worst ghetto/projects thread in nyguide for new yorkers it is www.urbandecay.ca (http://www.urbandecay.ca) it has an extensive photo collection of New York housing projects that you should find useful. Im not from New York and have not yet been there (unfortunatly) so I cant tell you which pjs would have white people living in them. Are the projects really that segregated in terms of race? Cant you just use any of them? I wouldnt know, Im just curious.
Anyway check the link out it has more photos of projects and urban decay than any site I have ever seen, If anyone knows one that is better let me know. Thanks

;)

ablarc
January 6th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the link. Why does public housing always come with parking lots?