PDA

View Full Version : Info on Post Trumatic Stress Treatment

BrooklynRider
January 12th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Grettings all-

I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience from either the counseling or patient perspective with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder treatments. I'm familiarizing myself with inpatient facilities - if you know any effective places, please chime in. I am also exploring outpatient programs like EMDR.

Any input or commentary is welcome.

Thanks! :)

Ninjahedge
January 12th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Not really, but after surgery for me it was good to have someone to vent to.

Even if that therapist was not very constructive, tehy are a good release valve.

I would look, however, into what your major goals or roblems are (you or whoever you are advising on this) and see if you need a PTSD person, or more of a career councelor or life management kind of person.

Sometimes therapy does not let you do much more than relieve the pain. You have to have the motivation yourself to take it further than that.

ZippyTheChimp
January 16th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I can't help you with any particulars. When this happened to me, the term PTSD was unknown. Treatment followed a twisted path.

It's important to get an assessment of your level of anxiety from a professional, and a recommendation of therapy.

Ninjahedge
January 16th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Talking to people helped me the most when I went through surgery.

You do not need to lay all your cards on the table for everyone to look at, but sometimes laying it bare can help you get through it all.

the important thing to realize is that when you do this, you are looking to be healed, not to illicit attention and pity. You follow the other path and you will never stop revealing yourself.

You will make up other things, or try to get people to feel for you for everything, you become dependent on their attention. Not a good thing. But if you are willing to accept what they say and actually get up and DO some of those things they suggest (within reason, I would not go skiing or skydiving yet...;) )you will feel more complete.

The mental scars are the things that are the hardest to see clearly the closer you are to them, and they can be really hard to heal if the patient is not willing to be healed.

I hope the best for you BR, and do not be afraid to message us if you need more support.

Punzie
January 16th, 2007, 11:24 AM
BR- Due to much inbreeding by my ancestors, I have been subject to nightmarish genetic disorders and operations my whole life. Like Zippy, when I was younger, PTSD was a nonexistent diagnosis. But now I'm being treated for it... and it really works.

In the past six months I have had to come to terms with the reality that I will be in great physical pain, 24/7, the rest of my life. The PTSD treatment keeps me from moaning about it, ("Why me?"), and helps me set a course: "I have it, and there's not a damned thing I can do, so how can I put together the best future for myself?"

I would very much like to PM with you about your situation, and maybe even talk with you on the phone about it. In this regard, I really, truly understand what you're going through.

BrooklynRider
January 17th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I do appreciate everyone's responses and the PM's I have received. Not easy stuff and the suddeness of it had me reeling. I have the evaluations underway. I've started EMDR therapy. It is much advanced from its earlliest days, but very revealing (and rather spooky) in its ability to reveal "bigger picture" stuff and those little details that can shift one's perception immensely. Honestly, I am in one of those "I never thought it would happen to me, but..." scenarios.

I know this thread isn't particularly long, but I've received some great personal (PM) feedback and those exchanges have been helpful, supportive and comforting. It's probably why I've been so agitated in other threads to get my connectibility to WNY fixed.

I come on line here under an alias and post my opinions and rantings like everyone else, but after a while the personalities of each user comes out. These's safety in the anonymity, but the sentiments in the anonymity are probably more honest than I'd find anywhere else.

Thanks to all. I'm really grateful. :)