PDA

View Full Version : Baseball - how long?

Matt_H
January 18th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Hi All,

Going to see the Yankees play Seattle when we are over in May and was wondering how long the average game of baseball will last?

We are probably going to go the Sunday afternoon match which starts around 1pm.

Also, can anybody recommend a good restaurant near the stadium? Little Italy??

Thanks for your help.
M

Punzie
January 18th, 2007, 11:17 AM
In 2004, the average length of an American League game (includes Yankees and Seattle) was 2:46:55. Source: Elias Sports Bureau.

A table of average game lengths from 1990-2002 can be found in this article:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2003-03-05-faster-games_x.htm

I don't have stats for the 2005 and 2006 seasons, but the game length hardly changed at all.

Please keep in mind that this is only the actual length of the game -- no preliminary activities included here -- and that the word "average" often does not mean a whole lot with Yankees baseball.

Forget about the restaurant, indulge in the foot-long hotdogs at the stadium.:)

Schadenfrau
January 18th, 2007, 11:23 AM
If you're driving to the game, head to Arthur Avenue afterward. It's not easily accessible by public transportation.

Matt_H
January 18th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the precise information Rapunzel :) I am really looking forward to going to the game.

Schadenfrau - We will be limited to public transport, which is a shame as we would have liked to visit Arthur Avenue. Is it completely unaccesable via Publuc Transport? How about a taxi? I am guessing there will be some outside of the stadium?

OmegaNYC
January 18th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Arthur Avenue is in the Fordham section of the Borough (Know by natives as Belmont). It is considered by many (such as myself) as the "real" Little Italy of NYC. Talk about some great food in that area. If you're between 184th and 187th, talk about heaven.. I guess you can take the B train to 182-183, but I don't know where that will place you at.

Schadenfrau
January 18th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Arthur Avenue is a bit of a trek from the subway, especially for someone who's not familiar with the area.

A cab is a great idea, but you might want to plan on taking a livery cab instead of a yellow taxi. Yellow taxis are in great demand after games, and livery cabs will be plentiful.

In Belmont, I like Roberto:

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/roberto_restaurant/

Matt_H
January 18th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the advice Schadenfrau. That restaurant looks ideal.

BTW - What is a Livery Cab?

OmegaNYC
January 18th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Livery cabs are the "bootlegged" ones. There not the yellow ones you see in the streets of Manhattan (below Uptown). Just think of them as the second-hand form of the yellow cabs.

invictus77
January 19th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Livery cabs are the "bootlegged" ones. There not the yellow ones you see in the streets of Manhattan (below Uptown). Just think of them as the second-hand form of the yellow cabs.

Are livery cabs any cheaper than regular cabs? Why would customers particularly choose a regular cab over a livery cab after a ballgame? Just wondering. Thanks.

NoyokA
January 19th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I'm not exactly sure how livery cabs work as I've never taken one. I know you can find them in Harlem and the outter boroughs but not in most of Manhattan. I believe they're not allowed in the territory of the yellow cab, I do not know if you can take one from outside the yellow cab line to your destination within their territory. I do know that livery's are cheaper than yellow taxi's.

Schadenfrau
January 19th, 2007, 12:30 PM
You can take a livery cab anywhere, Stern. Sometimes they're cheaper than yellow cabs, sometimes not. People generally take either cab because that's what's available at the moment.

ETA: Livery cabs can't pick up fares below 96th Street in Manhattan, but they can drop you off there.

ManhattanKnight
January 19th, 2007, 04:58 PM
^Also, I believe (because I've never used them), that livery cabs are unmetered, and fares must be negotiated on a case-by-case basis between the driver and passenger.

ablarc
January 19th, 2007, 06:59 PM
And finally, most of them are Lincolns.

Punzie
January 20th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Only 40 more days 'til Spring Training!!

Deimos
January 20th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Only 40 more days 'til Spring Training!!

Even better.... 25 days until Pitchers and Catchers report!!!!