PDA

View Full Version : "The Queen" and the Windsor Royal Family

Gregory Tenenbaum
January 23rd, 2007, 06:43 PM
Hi Lofter. I couldn't respond to your post - the thread was closed after I expounded popular theories of the Suez Crisis, the Fall of Singapore and even Wookies.

I haven't seen this film yet but I would like to. I have read interesting things about it.

What I am interested in is the appalling attention that Prince William's girlfriend is going through. Jessica Alba could walk down the Strand in a bikini but if that girl were there, she would still get all of the attention Im sure.

Lend us your insights into the film, "The Queen" if you would be so kind.

lofter1
January 23rd, 2007, 07:32 PM
Don't know if you saw Peter Morgan (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/01/16/nglobes16.xml) -- the Screenwriter of "The Queen" -- pick up his Golden Globe for Best Screenplay ...
Accepting the prize, British writer Peter Morgan made reference to the millions of people who took to the streets in mourning after the Princess’s death, commenting: “What do we have to do to get our leaders to listen to us? What do we have to do to get them to change tack?" The film chronicles the journey of old and solid Queen Elizabeth II in the days surrounding the death of Princess Diana. The path that actor Helen Mirren, writer Morgan and director Stephen Frears takes us down gives a disturbing view of this leader so removed from the people of the country, entrenched in an "old way" of doing things ... In a moment of crisis this Queen is incapable of seeing what is needed -- she's blinded by power and position. And the world begins to close in ... and nothing seems quite right ...

It's quite amazing -- seeing as how we lived this history and know for the most part how it turned out -- that the film is able to create a tension around the question of "what will she do".

But the crux of the film is not the "what" but rather "how will she do it?"

In Mirren's portrayal this Queen is nearly impenetrable. But she reveals a surprising ability to adapt. What's going on? Is this self discovery? An evolution? A recognition that a leader will be judged by actions taken for the good of the people?

Or are we simply watching this dinosaur's instinct for self-preservation in action?

One thing we do know ... she is still The Queen ...

I found the movie fascinating.

ablarc
January 23rd, 2007, 07:52 PM
I found the movie fascinating.
So did I. That scene where she encounters the stag is the finest acting job I've seen in years.

lofter1
January 23rd, 2007, 08:18 PM
She's an amazing actor ...

Her scene in front of the gates of Buckingham Palace was great, as well.

But then everything about her performance was spot on.

Consider this with the latest "Prime Suspect" & "Elizabeth I" on HBO -- Ms. Mirren has had a very good year.

Luca
January 24th, 2007, 06:52 AM
As a non-Brit, I must say that I don't understand or share the fascination with monarchy. It might have something to do with being from a country whose own monarchy (Italy) ended in ignominy.

I've heard the movie is very good. Must catch it.

Gregory Tenenbaum
January 24th, 2007, 07:13 AM
As a non-Brit, I must say that I don't understand or share the fascination with monarchy. It might have something to do with being from a country whose own monarchy (Italy) ended in ignominy.

I've heard the movie is very good. Must catch it.

What Monarchy hasn't been involved in a little ignominy?

The Naboo Monarchy? Aha well you haven't seen Princess Amardala's secret tapes then have you.

lofter1
January 24th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Helen Mirren as Elizabeth with director Stephen Frears ...

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/1163436/photo_05_hires.jpg (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/queen/gallery.php?page=4&size=hires&nopop=1)

And Queen Elizabeth II herself ...

http://www.it-serve.co.uk/rros/Images/thequeen.jpg

nick-taylor
January 24th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Hi Lofter. I couldn't respond to your post - the thread was closed after I expounded popular theories of the Suez Crisis, the Fall of Singapore and even Wookies.

I haven't seen this film yet but I would like to. I have read interesting things about it.

What I am interested in is the appalling attention that Prince William's girlfriend is going through. Jessica Alba could walk down the Strand in a bikini but if that girl were there, she would still get all of the attention Im sure.

Lend us your insights into the film, "The Queen" if you would be so kind.Did a bit of research and it would appear Mr Tenenbaum, that your last place of residence was here: http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/aboutus/immigrationremovalcentres/oakingtonremovalcentre

:d

Gregory Tenenbaum
January 24th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Did a bit of research and it would appear Mr Tenenbaum, that your last place of residence was here: http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/aboutus/immigrationremovalcentres/oakingtonremovalcentre

:d

Nick, really.

I see it used to be a military base. So, yes, my grandfather was probably there sampling the local women and saving your backsides from a trouncing from the Nazis.

Be grateful.

And do stick to the topic Sir.

And don't try to libel me again. There is a real world you know, and after you have acted as many clients in libel matters as I have, making allegations that somebody is an illegal alien is not a laughing matter as much as it once was.

nick-taylor
January 24th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Nick, really.

I see it used to be a military base. So, yes, my grandfather was probably there sampling the local women and saving your backsides from a trouncing from the Nazis.

Be grateful.

And do stick to the topic Sir.

And don't try to libel me again. There is a real world you know, and after you have acted as many clients in libel matters as I have, making allegations that somebody is an illegal alien is not a laughing matter as much as it once was.The records indicate August 2005...hang on you signed up here in September 2005 :eek:

:D

ablarc
January 24th, 2007, 07:06 PM
^ Interesting find, nick. Explains a lot.

Luca
January 25th, 2007, 02:55 AM
What Monarchy hasn't been involved in a little ignominy?

There's garden-variety foreign bashing or a spot of peasant disemboweling in the dark ages, but not too manu monarchies usher in 20 years of right-wing dictatorship and, once faced with defeat, run for their lives into the arms of their former enemy.

The House of Savoy screwed up. Good riddance. I have no opinion on the Windsors/Saxburg-Gothas, not being a British subject.

Oh, and Greg, are the UK immigration types as unsmiling as the US ones?
How does an American get themselves deported?? A 'spot of bother' with the law??

Gregory Tenenbaum
January 25th, 2007, 07:34 AM
I dont really know about that, it was an obvious fabrication. I dont think I have even visited a holding centre - my clients see me for different types of matters (usually involving their wives, business partner, you name it).

But I do know that Brits coming to the US have to give the 10 finger salute to the FBI (Welcome to the FBI Database). I think its not a bad thing when you consider how many dubious people are able to establish themselves in England through its immigration program.

I guess every country is looking for good people, but here's some clue as to why England might be.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=366528&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

dragonslayer
March 16th, 2007, 11:54 PM
GT - regarding the Daily Mail link - yes people do emmegrate to the US from England, and to Australia/ New Zealand etc, but what the Daily mail doesn't show is that plenty of them return to England. i spent 2 years in australia, and now i'm back in london and i'm glad to be here. as most people find, the grass isn't always greener elsewhere. There are nearly 50,000 americans in London alone (i know a couple and they to like it here) so emmegration works both ways.

BenL
March 17th, 2007, 10:31 AM
The Daily Mail is a racist, xenophobic and hugely conservative paper which tries to tell its aspirational home counties readership that the country is going to the dogs. It will use any excuse to attack immigration, Labour, asylum seekers, gypsies, Tony Blair, working women, homosexuals and France. It's a thoroughly nasty paper which supported Hitler and Mussolini in the 1930s. I wouldn't take anything you read in it seriously... Unless you're Ann Coulter.

Gregory Tenenbaum
March 17th, 2007, 11:22 AM
There are nearly 50,000 americans in London alone (i know a couple and they to like it here) so emmegration works both ways.

It sure does. I guess you couldn't pass the language test if you had they had have had one, so staying put isn't such a bad idea.

I'm prone to a few typos here and there, and I often omit the proper punctuation and apostrophes when posting here. Consequently, I don't usually criticize spelling, but really dragonslayer..

dragonslayer
March 19th, 2007, 12:01 PM
It sure does. I guess you couldn't pass the language test if you had they had have had one, so staying put isn't such a bad idea.

I'm prone to a few typos here and there, and I often omit the proper punctuation and apostrophes when posting here. Consequently, I don't usually criticize spelling, but really dragonslayer..

Sorry bout the spelling but i'm dyslexic. its a cross i have to bear, especially in my work but there you go. i guess you don't have that problem in the US of course.

Ninjahedge
March 19th, 2007, 01:17 PM
DS, go into your control panel and choose the most advanced editor (Real text I think? RTF?) for your replies, then look in the top right corner, you will see a spell-check tab.

It is really useful on a lot of things, especially on ones where people will criticize you on your spelling.

Gregory Tenenbaum
March 19th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Sorry bout the spelling but i'm dyslexic. its a cross i have to bear, especially in my work but there you go. i guess you don't have that problem in the US of course.

Had no idea. Its ok we all do it. I guess Im just plain lazy.

Gregory Tenenbaum
March 19th, 2007, 07:15 PM
GT - regarding the Daily Mail link - yes people do emmegrate to the US from England, and to Australia/ New Zealand etc, but what the Daily mail doesn't show is that plenty of them return to England. i spent 2 years in australia, and now i'm back in london and i'm glad to be here. as most people find, the grass isn't always greener elsewhere. There are nearly 50,000 americans in London alone (i know a couple and they to like it here) so emmegration works both ways.

What was so bad about Australia and New Zealand? Those 2 countries are paradise on earth, a lot of Brits go there to stay. Americans too.

dragonslayer
March 27th, 2007, 07:32 PM
What was so bad about Australia and New Zealand? Those 2 countries are paradise on earth, a lot of Brits go there to stay. Americans too.

I loved australia, and have family in new zealand (auckland), but haven't been there yet. The people are great, but i guess there's no place like home, as someone wearing a nice red pair of shoes said once said.