PDA

View Full Version : Walk/Don't Walk Signs on Park Ave.

bqexpressway
January 23rd, 2007, 09:39 PM
I was taking a walk up Park Ave north of Grand Central and noticed that there were no walk/don't walk signs in the area around 47th-50th. Since it's a divided road I (as well everyone else crossing park) found it next to impossible to judge whether it was safe to cross. People were almost getting run over just crossing the street when the light would suddenly turn green. Is this alway this case? Something needs to be done because it's dangerous, not to sound like a pansey but damn!

ryan
January 25th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Watch the traffic lights and/or follow the herd. I think Park feels safer than Madison, where trucks and cabbies don't care about the signals.

OmegaNYC
January 25th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Watch the traffic lights and/or follow the herd. I think Park feels safer than Madison, where trucks and cabbies don't care about the signals.

Amen. (Was nearly turned into 250+ pounds of roadkill on Madison.)

Deimos
January 25th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I like to liken Park Ave from 46th to 57th streets (at least if memory serves properly this is the street range) to playing a real-life game of frogger.

ManhattanKnight
January 25th, 2007, 01:03 PM
That stretch of Park Avenue consists of sections of concrete supported by steel beams directly over MTA's railroad tracks north of Grand Central Station. I've read in the past that the absence of walk/dont walk signs there is due the high costs of installing them in that environment and the question of who would pay for the work -- the City of New York or the MTA.

TonyO
January 25th, 2007, 01:12 PM
That stretch of Park Avenue consists of sections of concrete supported by steel beams directly over MTA's railroad tracks north of Grand Central Station. I've read in the past that the absence of walk/dont walk signs there is due the high costs of installing them in that environment and the question of who would pay for the work -- the City of New York or the MTA.

I've heard it was the weight of the signs that was prohibitive.

I found this link:

http://www.transalt.org/press/media/2005/168.html

bqexpressway
January 25th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Interesting indeed, luckily I don't have to play park ave frogger on a daily basis. what they could do is install small imbedded lights along the crosswalk that flash when it's okay to walk.

Ninjahedge
January 25th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Most likely BS, but they would have to get a special contract or a MFR that is not under contract with the city to do something like this (custom) and to them it just is not worth the hassle and the cost.

I can't see where walk/don't walk signs would introduce so much stress that they could not be supported. I cry BS on that.

I would think electric and control systems might be difficult to fit as the only technical reason for not having them.