PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be New Yorkers

haloperi
January 27th, 2007, 04:00 AM
When are you moving?

Me: Late 2008, Early 2009 (After I get into a good University... I'm OUT :p)

But I'm definitely going to be moving around that time :)

fishermb
January 27th, 2007, 08:13 PM
exactly 1 month from now :)

haloperi
January 27th, 2007, 09:19 PM
^ Ugh, lucky.. lol

somewhere in the year 2009 which will mean by that time i will have dreamed about moving for 6 years. 3 of them saying im moving there soon :p
Actually, now that I think about it, me too.. somewhere in 2009 :P
Earlier if I get into NYU... later if I don't...

AsianNYLover
January 28th, 2007, 02:47 AM
I'm planning to move to New York later this year around late July, mid August!!! (Sick and Tired of LA)
Hopefully to find work in the Entertainment/Finance industry.

haloperi
January 28th, 2007, 04:34 AM
^Haha, I'm from LA too :P (well, around LA)

how old are you?

and whats your major gonna be?
I'm 18 -- how about yourself?

And my major will probably be English ;x ..or philosophy ;x ;x (lol) :P

haloperi
January 28th, 2007, 07:42 PM
same as you, im 18.

My major is Business Admin but i still really dont know what i want to do. Im thinking about becoming a police officer but not with nypd because there salary is too low. Port Authority Police would be nice!
Wow, you're 18 too? Awesome :)

Yeah, I'm majoring in English, for the moment, not knowing what I really want to do either, lol

"I just CANT WAIT to live in NYC...no more car, no more living with my parents, and best of all i will finally be able to look out the window and see LIFE :D"Oh man, I feel the same... :D
My wallpaper is a picture of NYC apartments.. (go ahead, call me pathetic, haha)
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/474/wallnycyi0.jpg

So you're gonna be like 20 or 21 when you arrive in NYC too huh?
Sometimes, I feel like I'm moving a little too late.. but overall, I'm just glad I'll be moving, haha

Anyway, do you have a particular neighborhood you want to live in? (This is really Private Message stuff, haha)
I hope I can find a decent place (and I say "decent" as in "cheap" lol) around Greenwich Village (UWS, Midtown, etc.)

NoyokA
January 28th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Wow, you're 18 too? Awesome :)

Yeah, I'm majoring in English, for the moment, not knowing what I really want to do either, lol

Oh man, I feel the same... :D
My wallpaper is a picture of NYC apartments.. (go ahead, call me pathetic, haha)
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/474/wallnycyi0.jpg

So you're gonna be like 20 or 21 when you arrive in NYC too huh?
Sometimes, I feel like I'm moving a little too late.. but overall, I'm just glad I'll be moving, haha

Anyway, do you have a particular neighborhood you want to live in? (This is really Private Message stuff, haha)
I hope I can find a decent place (and I say "decent" as in "cheap" lol) around Greenwich Village (UWS, Midtown, etc.)

You won't find cheap there. I'm from NYC but I'm not in NYC right now, I transferred to the University of Buffalo. I don't know why. Everyone I tell it to doesn't understand it either and when pressured as to a reason I respond the "college experience" and they laugh even harder. That said I'm transferring back to NYC next year. I'll be getting an apt. with some old buddies in the UES, which makes nice areas affordable.

haloperi
January 29th, 2007, 02:47 AM
You won't find cheap there.
Well the thing is.. I don't really care how small the room/apartment is as long as I can sleep and wash :D
And I've found some $500/month shares on CL :) (I'm hoping to God that they're real, lol)

im gonna get a studio to start, looking to spend about $1000 a month when i first move....and people responding in my last post said i could find a studio for $1000 anywhere in the city. Iv been on craigslist and even seen some in the UWS!! But if i cant find one there, im gonna look into Brooklyn Heights or AStoria, maybe Bay Ridge or Park Slope in brooklyn.

I feel the same way about moving too late until i think when i move i still might not be able to legally drink, and since i talk to alot of older people (community college, my gym, etc.) i realized just how young i really am.

And that picture, thats my new background!!! :D
Good luck with your studio hunt.. when you get there that is :)

Hahah, I made myself realize the same exact thing (about the drinking age) -- so then I tell myself "eh, I guess it's not too bad" :P ..and plus, people who usually begin their (complete) independence from their parents are usually in their early twenties.

And I'm glad you like the picture! :D

Lolita88
January 29th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Im moving in Mid August, to go to design school. NYC is my DREAM so Im gonna make it even if Im living in bohemia lol.:p

haloperi
January 29th, 2007, 09:34 PM
^How long have you been wanting to move to NYC?

Lolita88
January 30th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Since the first time i visited, I was in the fourth grade and begged my mom to move...she said no :( lol so now im going sola:p .

haloperi
January 31st, 2007, 01:10 AM
Since the first time i visited, I was in the fourth grade and begged my mom to move...she said no :( lol so now im going sola:p .Lolita88, hmm.. I'm assuming that you're 18 too? :)

guys, guys, guys....and lady, stop :mad: !

Your getting me all excited about moving and i still got to wait atleast another 2 years. :(

:D :D :D :DHahaa :P
Hmm, I know why I have to move in 2009 (..college)...
Is it the same reason? or something private?

Lolita88
January 31st, 2007, 12:07 PM
Yes I am, but i'll be 19 when I go, and I'll be in my second year of college (thats a long time from the 4th grade lol).:p

haloperi
January 31st, 2007, 08:47 PM
Yes I am, but i'll be 19 when I go, and I'll be in my second year of college (thats a long time from the 4th grade lol).:p
You're going to a fashion school right? (I think I read something about it on here) -- my exgf moved to NYC last year and now she's in... Parson's(?), supposedly the best fashion school in the United States

I want to take some acting classes while I'm there :)
But... no time no money :(

(this is for everyone)
Are you going to rent your own studio or share a room/apt?
Did you order your plane ticket yet?! :D
annnd.. where will you stay when you first arrive there? (Personally, I have no idea, my plan is to stay at a hotel..... but that's so damn expensive)
(sorry, so many questions... lol)

haloperi
January 31st, 2007, 09:14 PM
yea, i have to do alittle college :(

god damn i hate school

sucks for you guys, Miami and LA....LOOOONG TRIPS! :eek:

I come right up from Philly so i can look for apartments for a day and then go home and go back the next day! 1 hour 20 minutes on the amtrak (+ Free Tickets)! TEH WOWZERZZZ LOL:p
Nice... haha, yeah, it's about a 5~6 hour flight for me, but I'm actually excited about the plane ride too :D

You're really lucky that you that you live so close to NYC.. it really is advantageous for when you're looking around for apartments

Yeah, I'm in community college.. and it sucks... hard (lol)
It's like a continuation of high school (but a little easier on the social ego) :rolleyes:

Lolita88
February 1st, 2007, 06:43 PM
Yes I am going to fashion school, and parsons is my dream school. :p

And I wish I lived that close, However its only about 2 1/2 to 3 hr plane ride (I forgot the exact time)

I want my own studio, but my boyfriend might be moving up too so we might split the rent and all that good stuff, if not probably try to live with my uncle until I find a place.

Gothamite
February 19th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Hopefully Ill be moving up there (from Tennessee) at the end of this year or the beginning of 2008. I am also going to fashion school (FIT or Art Institute of New York). Does anyone know of any other design schools in New York and their websites?

fishermb
February 19th, 2007, 11:37 AM
status update: moving this Friday :)

Lolita88
February 19th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Hopefully Ill be moving up there (from Tennessee) at the end of this year or the beginning of 2008. I am also going to fashion school (FIT or Art Institute of New York). Does anyone know of any other design schools in New York and their websites?

try Pratt.edu

krulltime
February 19th, 2007, 01:08 PM
So much excitment about moving to NYC in this thread. It takes me back when I was so excited about my first move. :cool: I am so happy I did.

Gothamite
February 19th, 2007, 02:44 PM
try Pratt.edu

Thanks so much!
I loved it from what I saw on the website and it is a definitely a plus that it is in Brooklyn (which is where I hope to find a place in). If you don't mind me asking have you graduated from high school yet? Also when do you plan on leaving for NY and which fashion school are you most considering?

I am graduating this May and hope to move in October or November.
I would love Parsons but seems out of my price range as of right now, I think I will end up leaning toward Pratt in the end because they not only have fashion but film also which is a HUGE plus.

Lolita88
February 19th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Thanks so much!
I loved it from what I saw on the website and it is a definitely a plus that it is in Brooklyn (which is where I hope to find a place in). If you don't mind me asking have you graduated from high school yet? Also when do you plan on leaving for NY and which fashion school are you most considering?

I am graduating this May and hope to move in October or November.
I would love Parsons but seems out of my price range as of right now, I think I will end up leaning toward Pratt in the end because they not only have fashion but film also which is a HUGE plus.

Yeah I graduated last year and I plan to move in mid August to start in the fall term, I am leaning towards FIT because Parsons might be out of my price range also.

Gothamite
February 19th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Yeah I graduated last year and I plan to move in mid August to start in the fall term, I am leaning towards FIT because Parsons might be out of my price range also.

Whoa, I just found out that Pratt is pretty steep also and they are very picky with applicants so I don't know my chances of getting in but I'll try. FIT is now looking like the one I will most likely get in to.

clubBR
February 19th, 2007, 08:50 PM
new york is overrated (school wise)
a real new yorker wants to get OUT of ny
i want to go to CALI or JAPAN!!!!!!!

ryan
February 19th, 2007, 08:55 PM
It's true, Columbia, Princeton, Yale...dumps all.

Real new yorkers want to leave? Huh, must be all the people I know who would never consider living anywhere else are wannabes, huh?

conezone
February 20th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I love how New Yorkers act as if Princeton and Yale are right in Manhattan.

Schadenfrau
February 20th, 2007, 09:15 AM
They're in the tri-state area, and easily accessed by public transportation.

Personally, I love how people who don't live in NYC seem to think that the city consists solely of Manhattan, or maybe the parts of Brooklyn they're forced to consider when they can't afford that.

conezone
February 20th, 2007, 09:35 AM
They're in the tri-state area, and easily accessed by public transportation.

Personally, I love how people who don't live in NYC seem to think that the city consists solely of Manhattan, or maybe the parts of Brooklyn they're forced to consider when they can't afford that.

I don't know why that comment would be pointed at me as I was only using "Manahattan" to prove a point. Both of those schools are a good 60-70 miles from any of the boroughs of New York and in two different states. The people who act like Yale and Prineton are New York institutions are the same people who are so quick to point out Harvard ant MIT aren't actually in Boston, they're in Cambridge!