PDA

View Full Version : Nightclubs: Most Famous, Infamous? (Like 'old Studio 54'?)

haloperi
February 4th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Any infamous or famous (:p) nightclubs in Manhattan now?

I'm pretty sure no place will be like the infamous Studio 54, but I'm just curious...

I'm not much of a "clubber" so I'm not going to try to get in.. (although it'll be an interesting experience if I could, lol) I just want to see what the energy is like :D

meer
February 4th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Studio54 is still there. But now it's showing Cabaret.

eta: Never been there, but I've heard people talk about Webster Hall.

NoyokA
February 4th, 2007, 05:54 PM
The hot club changes every year, sometimes it seems like it changes every month. I'm a young guy and I could care less, I could care less about waiting in a line and paying a ridiculous cover for a club that will be “lame” in a month, especially when there’s plenty of options out there. The hot club right now is Duvet, I checked it out one night and refused to pay the $50 cover. Bungalow 8 was the place to be last year, I wasn't overly impressed, now its yesterday's news and I still could care less.

haloperi
February 4th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Duvet? The website (intro) looks laughable corny, lol

Weird, that the "scene" shifts so much.. :rolleyes:

Eh... I was just wondering if there were any "new" "legendary" clubs like Studio 54.. guess not, huh?

NoyokA
February 4th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Even Studio 54 closed, the city is too trendy for its own good sometimes.

Punzie
February 5th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Meer mentioned Webster Hall, and I'd say that right now it's about the "most legendary" of this type of Manhattan club. And that's more because of its history than its present. The crowd has a generic "clubber" look. When you walk in, you don't say in awe: "Nowhere else in the world but Manhattan could you get a crowd like this!"

Haloperi, two weeks before you're coming to New York, ask again which club to go to. Like Stern said, the "it" club changes from month to month. Who knows, maybe we'll have another legend soon. In the late 1970s, when Studio 54 first opened, my friends and I did not call it "legendary". (Yep, I'm that old.)

On a different note, the girls today don't know how to dance. Also, either they go all out on the dance floor like strippers, or they hold back too much because they're afraid of looking like strippers. I feel like corralling them all into an empty Webster Hall and teaching them how to dance with the "power of suggestion."

I'm a young guy and I could care less, I could care less about waiting in a line and paying a ridiculous cover for a club that will be “lame” in a month, especially when there’s plenty of options out there. The hot club right now is Duvet, I checked it out one night and refused to pay the $50 cover. Bungalow 8 was the place to be last year, I wasn't overly impressed, now its yesterday's news and I still could care less.

You're trying to convince yourself that you "could care less." Anybody who writes "I could care less" three times in one paragraph does sorta still care. I say this not out of meanness, but motherly affection.:D

NoyokA
February 5th, 2007, 01:28 PM
In all honesty, I really could care less. When I go out I go to a couple of places where I've become a regular, I know the bouncers, I know the bartenders, I know what crowd to expect. Its my friends that drag me to the trendy clubs, its not by my choice.

Schadenfrau
February 5th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Technically, I think you mean that you COULDN'T care less, and I believe you, for what it's worth.

Luca
February 5th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Always think of NYC as more of a cool bar/restaurant town than a cool 'club' town...

Let me turn the question around: which smallish clubs would posters recommend right now (regardless of whether they are 'in' or not).

Punzie
February 6th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Its my friends that drag me to the trendy clubs, its not by my choice.

What, do your friends bind you like a mummy and throw you into their car trunks? Of course it's your choice to go along with them!

When you said you didn't care, I thought you were renouncing the entire bar scene. Mea culpa.

Schades is correct, it's "I couldn't care less." I guess considering how often you sometimes say it, you might as well have it right.

My cats told me that they require all my motherly affection, so I will have to take it back from you and give you something else.

Punzie
June 25th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Aside from Webster Hall, what other nightclubs are there that are famous, infamous, or just plain legendary?

MikeKruger
June 26th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Seems like Luca hit the nail on the head. Most Manhattanites are too cool to dance :)

Punzie
June 26th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Most Manhattanites are too cool to dance :)
So that explains why I dance so much -- I'm hot!

Alonzo-ny
June 29th, 2007, 11:42 AM
You're trying to convince yourself that you "could care less." Anybody who writes "I could care less" three times in one paragraph does sorta still care. I say this not out of meanness, but motherly affection.:D

I dont understand 'u could care less' implies u do actually care?

ablarc
June 29th, 2007, 11:48 AM
^ "I couldn't care less" and "I could care less" mean exactly the same thing. One has the "n't" omitted in the interest of brevity. ;) :D

Schadenfrau
June 29th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah, if you live in Oppositeland.

Ninjahedge
June 29th, 2007, 01:58 PM
It is the phraseology of each.

Usually, the phrase would be something more like:

"Like I could care less", implying that you could not care less or
"I couldn't care less" which says it outright w/o any inference.

So stop picking nits you chimps and get back OT!!! ;)

NoyokA
June 29th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Always think of NYC as more of a cool bar/restaurant town than a cool 'club' town...

Let me turn the question around: which smallish clubs would posters recommend right now (regardless of whether they are 'in' or not).

I agree I like going to places where the bartenders know me, the bouncers know me, the regulars know me. The problem with clubs is that they never last long enough to make these connections. Right now my favorite club is Stereo, which is a smallish club, who knows how long it'll last though and then I'll have to find a new "favorite club".

NoyokA
June 29th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Oh btw, I couldn't care less if I used I could care less incorrectly, or is that correctly.

Ninjahedge
June 29th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Oh btw, I couldn't care less if I used I could care less incorrectly, or is that correctly.

Who cares. :rolleyes:

ablarc
June 29th, 2007, 04:35 PM
We could care less.

MidtownGuy
June 30th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Seems like Luca hit the nail on the head. Most Manhattanites are too cool to dance

WTF? This makes me bristle. Are you guys just talking about White North Americans or something? ;) My friends and I go out dancing ALL the time. Best, coolest dancers in the WORLD are in NYC. Why would it be any other way with this mixture of cultures and music?
Seems like some of you need to go out more. Or try moving in different circles once in a while.:rolleyes:

Doesn't it get boring, just standing there drinking and talking loudly? I mean really, what good is a party if there's no dancing!

The history of New York City, and its present, are filled with dancing!!