PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Riverside Park

conezone
February 6th, 2007, 01:48 PM
What is the general consensus on Riverside Park? It looks to be longer than Central Park so what are the nicest areas of it? Are there any not so nice areas of it?

Would the area near the Soldiers' and Sailors' monument be worth visiting for a tourist? Finally, are apartments near Riverside Drive priced higher or lower because of the park? In other words would Riverside Park add to an apartment's value or take away from it?

conezone
February 6th, 2007, 10:29 PM
No one here can answer any of these questions?

czsz
February 6th, 2007, 10:37 PM
The Soldiers and Sailors Memorial is indeed quite memorable. There are other major monuments in the park...Grant's Tomb is there, and I believe a big memorial to Joan of Arc?

The value of apartments along the park is indeed much higher than on streets further from it.

There's a boat basin in the 70s that's supposed to be very nice. If you cross under the highway there's a walking/bike trail directly on the Hudson lined with cherry trees.

In general the park is a wonderful asset. Because of its narrowness it isn't quite the world-in-itself that Central Park is, but Olmstead did well enough isolating segments from the city where possible. Occasionally while walking through it there's a nice, surprising vista of one of the monuments, the Hudson, or the George Washington Bridge.

Schadenfrau
February 6th, 2007, 11:11 PM
I can't think of a single park anywhere that would bring down property value. Can someone prove me wrong?

conezone
February 7th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the info. The reason I asked about the real estate prices is because I've never been to any area of the park. I wasn't sure if it was well maintained and safe, especially since the highway seems to be very close. The other reason is because its as far west as you can go. I've read that on the east side the further east you go the cheaper it is. I didn't know if West End Ave. and Riverside Drive were considred "far away" beacuse of their distance from Central Park. Is this not the case?

Schadenfrau
February 7th, 2007, 12:46 AM
The area you're talking about certainly isn't central. It's not near many subways, as you can tell from the map. I'm not sure what you're asking, other than that.

conezone
February 7th, 2007, 03:24 PM
The area you're talking about certainly isn't central. It's not near many subways, as you can tell from the map. I'm not sure what you're asking, other than that.

Isn't it only 2 blocks over to the 1239 on Broadway?

Schadenfrau
February 7th, 2007, 03:37 PM
As far uptown as you're talking about, you're only near the 1 train.

lofter1
February 7th, 2007, 06:23 PM
City Council Says Riverside Park Has Most Crime

http://www.gothamist.com/attachments/jen/2007_01_rivpark.JPG

gothamist.com (http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2007/01/10/city_council_sa.php#comment-914957)
January 10, 2007

This is a report we'd love to get our hands on: The Post reveals details from a 44-page City Council report about crimes in the city's biggest parks (http://www.nypost.com/seven/01102007/news/regionalnews/riverside_rats_regionalnews_stephanie_gaskell.htm) . And it turns out that Riverside Park leads all parks, with 36 major crimes reported during the spring and summer; Flushing Meadows Park had 35 crimes, and Prospect Park was number three, with 25 major crimes. Central Park was not included "because it is its own precinct and crime figures have long been available for the park."

Most of the crimes in Riverside Park during that period were robberies. Many people interviewed by the Post say that the southern part of the park is much safer, but even some trails and paths in the southern part are bit secluded. Back in October, the issue of the difference in park maintenance in the northern and southern parts of Riverside Park came up in a NY Times article (http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/10/22/riverside_park_1.php). And Flushing Meadows Park is where a group of teens robbed, beat, and killed park goers (http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2007/01/06/teens_arrested.php) late last year.

The Post reports that City Councilmen Peter Vallone and Joseph Addabbo had to pass a law in order to get the crime-in-the-parks information from the NYPD. Vallone said, "It's important for people to know whether parks are safe or not."

And per duh's comment (http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2007/01/10/city_council_sa.php#comment-914957), here we go:

KRAMER: Oh no, no,. no. I had to fish around in the evidence room for it. You know, they're all preoccupied, trying to hunt down this new psycho-serial killer, the Lopper. All right, I'll see ya.

ELAINE: Wait a minute, wait a minute. Who is the Lopper?

KRAMER: Oh, it's no big deal. It's just some guy who's been running around Riverside park-pffff. You know, cutting people's heads off.

JERRY: How come I haven't read about this?

KRAMER: Well, you know, the police, they've been having some internal dissension about the name.

ELAINE: Really? What're the other titles?

KRAMER: Uh, Headso...uh...The Denogginizer...Son of dad.

JERRY: Son of dad?

KRAMER: Yeah. That was my suggestion. It's sort of a catchall.
From The Frogger episode (http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheFrogger.htm) of Seinfeld.

Photograph of a bucolic stretch of Riverside Park by FSLN on Flickr (http://flickr.com/photos/fsln/313426681/)

czsz
February 7th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Those crimes take place almost entirely at night, when everyone knows not to enter the park.

conezone
February 7th, 2007, 07:22 PM
The area of the park I wanted to know about was between 86th and 96th St. because there is a possibility I may take an apartment there. It seems most of the problems are above 125th st.?

RSDer
February 7th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Riverside Park between 86th and 96th Street is absolutely beautiful and safe. I have lived in the area for 23, and on Riverside Drive in the low 90's for 8 years. This area is almost suburban compared with the rest of Manhattan, because it doesn't attract visitors, only local residents. The Park and side streets have plenty of trees, and there is the Hudson river, the 91st St Communinity Garden, the esplanade and access to the Hudson River bike/walk/running path. Don't tell anyone but the 1/2/3/9 subway station at 96th and 94th/Broadway, which is only two blocks from Riverside, takes you to Times Square by express train in 2 stops or 15 minutes. Plus any shops you might need are within walking distance on Broadway. Next to the far East Side, this neighborhood is pure heaven.

conezone
February 8th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Riverside Park between 86th and 96th Street is absolutely beautiful and safe. I have lived in the area for 23, and on Riverside Drive in the low 90's for 8 years. This area is almost suburban compared with the rest of Manhattan, because it doesn't attract visitors, only local residents. The Park and side streets have plenty of trees, and there is the Hudson river, the 91st St Communinity Garden, the esplanade and access to the Hudson River bike/walk/running path. Don't tell anyone but the 1/2/3/9 subway station at 96th and 94th/Broadway, which is only two blocks from Riverside, takes you to Times Square by express train in 2 stops or 15 minutes. Plus any shops you might need are within walking distance on Broadway. Next to the far East Side, this neighborhood is pure heaven.

Thanks a lot for all that info. Who has the best bagels in the neighborhood and where is the best place to take laundry?

RSDer
February 8th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Sorry, I'm new here and this is my second attempt to respond to your question.
The best bagels in NYC are H&H Bagels, as they supply most of the city. They are baked onsite at 80th/Broadway and they are amazing straight out of the oven. I will sometimes buy them a day old at half price at my local Gristedes at 96th/Broadway, as that's closer to me. Another great neighborhood spot for morning carbs (and coffee) is Georgia's Bake Shop at 89th/Broadway. The local Starbucks are on opposite sides of Broadway at 93rd and 95th Streets.

I have no experience with laundry outside of my building. I would suggest you do a business search using Google map and 190 Riverside Dr (at 91st St) as a base. There appear to be many laundries along Broadway and Amsterdam Ave in the area.

conezone
February 8th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Sorry for asking so many questions...I hope I haven't troubled you. Thanks again for all the info. Its been very helpful. :)