PDA

View Full Version : Q about your photographs

meer
February 11th, 2007, 09:37 AM
(not sure if this is just a forum for pics but this is photography related)

Have you ever had someone hotlink to your photos from other sites without your permission? Like myspace users who make their site background one of your photos?

Just wondering how you feel about someone else using your photos for their own use, without your permission. I know a lot of people feel that if it's on the internet, it's fair game. It really isn't, there are copyrights involved, but that seems to be the general concensus.

lofter1
February 11th, 2007, 12:05 PM
If someone has a copywright designation on their photos then it is proper to include the info when posting a photo you find on the internet. A link to the photo's original site is also in order.

When I first started posting here at wny I received PM's from people asking that I either remove the photo or insert appropriate credit.

Lesson learned.

As for anyone using any photos that I might post: I say feel free to use them -- although it would be nice to get credit for the photo.

I'm not a professional photographer (obviously) and it's not my intention to make money from my photos. I see them as information -- which can and should be shared.

ZippyTheChimp
February 11th, 2007, 12:23 PM
The copyright issue would only be worth pursuing if commercial use were involved. The obvious solution is to upload low quality images. I've found there is a sort of inverse rule: the more professional a photographer, the smaller the file size.

Personally, it annoys me when my stuff is just taken without a word. Most people who have amateur sites would grant others use of their photos, as long as there is acknowledgment of the source. Since the purpose is to increase traffic, the listing of a link is beneficial to the originator.

There is a difference between communal sites such as Flickr, that are set up for image sharing, and personal domains.

For the former, I would post a photo and a link; for the latter, just a link or a request for permission.