PDA

View Full Version : Emigrating from the UK to the US

Dougc
February 12th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Hi guys. I stumbled upon this place while searching for information on New York. Certainly a pretty interesting site & forums, makes for an interesting read. So, Hi! :)

I guess I'd better give a bit of a background about myself before I leap into asking questions! I'm almost 23 years old & have been working as a software engineer/developer for a reputable & established company here in the UK for nearly 4 years now. I have a BSc (HONS) degree in Computing & consider myself to be more than competent at my job, which I enjoy.

While I currently live comfortably in the UK, I'm quite seriously considering emigrating to the US - more specifically, New York - just because I want a complete change in my life in general, a "fresh start", so to speak. The problem is that I'm a little bit lost on where to even start about researching the whole thing!

The main issues I'm currently thinking I'd have to investigate are the following:
Finding somewhere to live
Finding a job
Anything associated with emigrating (legality wise, greencards etc.)I'm sure I've probably missed something fairly major from that list, so please feel free to correct me if I have.

Questions wise, there's probably far too many for me to bore you all with, but the main ones I'll ask first are the following:
Does anyone think it'd actually be possible (or sensible) to attempt "the move" before actually having secured a job? I'd consider myself marketable in my field in the UK, but would I be as marketable in the US? Can anyone see a reason(s) why a company wouldn't hire someone from the UK?
I guess this one is kind of linked to the above, but, are my educational qualifications (e.g. degree) and work experience in the UK valid to US companies?
Does anyone have any experience working as a software engineer/developer in New York City? I assume - if New York City is anything like London - that there are more enough jobs in the sector to choose from?
Are Americans in general accepting of the English/British? I suppose one of my main concerns (probably unfounded I'm sure) would be that I'd be rejected by everyone for being from the UK!
Again, kind of linked to the previous question, but is New York considered to be a "friendly" place? If I do attempt the move then I'd hope it is as obviously I'm not going to know anyone to start with!
Does anyone think I'm completely mad for even thinking about all this?I'd also be more than willing to listen if anyone had any words of wisdom, advice or anything else they'd be kind enough to offer on the whole subject(s).

Part of me thinks it sounds like an awfully daunting task moving to a another country, but on the other hand I can't help thinking how amazing it could be as well!

Thanks guys!

NB: Apologies if any of those have been answered elsewhere. I have had a brief search prior to posting.

Dougc
February 14th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Apologies, I realise I'm asking for quite a bit of information. :o

Any help on the subject(s) would do though! :)

lofter1
February 14th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Try searching "green card" on this site.

There have been a lot of posts with replies here that will answer many of your questions.

Also check the US Department of State website (google it) for immigration info.

I think the bottom line is that you need a visa for the work you mention before you come over.

ManhattanKnight
February 14th, 2007, 03:34 PM
You'll find the basic legal info at the US London Embassy's site (http://www.usembassy.org.uk/ -- look under "Visas to the U.S."); I believe that Lofter1 is generally correct about needing to line up a job and a work visa before coming here if your intention is to remain here. But if you're a UK citizen without any disqualifying personal circumstances, you won't need a visa to come here as a tourist. And if you've not already visited NYC/the USA, that's something you certainly should do before making your big decision.

I don't believe that there has been widespread hostility to Brits here for a couple of centuries.

Dougc
February 14th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks guys. I hadn't thought of the embassy website.

SamiB
February 21st, 2010, 11:40 PM
Hi there!

I've just come across your message, and can see it was posted quite a while ago. I'm a Brit thinking about making the big move to the big apple... But like you have no idea where to begin... Can you help me out? Did you make the move in the end? And what information did you manage to gather??

Please help!!

Ty

Sami :confused:

ben1983
February 26th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Hi,
I have also just stumbled across this website....
I am in a similar situation - Iíve worked for a top engineering company for 10 years and I feel it's time to move on, and 'start a fresh'.
I have a BEng(Hons) in Mech. Engineering and am hoping to get a similar job, maybe a bit more challenging in New York.
My Aunt actually lives in New York; can I use this at a route to 'get in' if she sponsors me?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Ben.

Alonzo-ny
February 26th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I don't think she can sponser you however you are in a great position. You need to find a job then apply for a visa. You will be eligible for an H1-B. I suggest you fly over stay with your aunt and look for a job. However, the job market is terrible right now. You might want to wait another year or so into the recovery.

KenNYC
March 4th, 2010, 02:25 AM
She cannot sponsor you, family-sponsored greencards are only given to "core families", meaning parents, children or siblings. Your aunt is too remote.

Your background is generally desirable and your shot at getting an employment visa is pretty good; that is, in a normal economy. Right now, chances of getting a job in general is pretty slim, even more so for a foreigner.

WarrenL
March 13th, 2010, 12:57 PM
The first thing you need to do is research every fortune 500 company in the UK that could use your services. Go to the job board and see if they have positions in the USA. Then apply to those positions through the UK and see if they will sponsor a work visa.

ben1983
April 22nd, 2010, 08:44 AM
Hi,
Following on from tmy post...

I'm heading over to New York in May, this could be a good opportunity for me to do some 'Networking' and job research.
I'm probably staying in the Manhatten area. I know the 'recession' is still a big player in the lack of job opportunities at the moment; But if anyone has any advice for me while i'm there; i.e. Places to go and meet people and ask questions / engineering companies that my skills would fit into, Please let me know....

Many thanks,

Ben.

rmpbklyn
June 1st, 2010, 11:12 AM
don't come unless you have a job , 40% ppl are out of work in NYC... so stay at a hotel or friends and see if you like it and when you have a job, only then start to make a drastic move as such.

Hi,
Following on from tmy post...

I'm heading over to New York in May, this could be a good opportunity for me to do some 'Networking' and job research.
I'm probably staying in the Manhatten area. I know the 'recession' is still a big player in the lack of job opportunities at the moment; But if anyone has any advice for me while i'm there; i.e. Places to go and meet people and ask questions / engineering companies that my skills would fit into, Please let me know....

Many thanks,

Ben.

scumonkey
June 1st, 2010, 11:30 AM
40% ppl are out of work in NYC...Where do you get your #'s from?
From the NYT's March 25th:
The city’s official unemployment rate was 10.2 percent last month, down from 10.4 percent in January, the State Department of Labor reported (http://www.labor.ny.gov/stats/pressreleases/pruistat.htm) on Thursday.

rmpbklyn
June 1st, 2010, 11:55 AM
the numbers you referr to are the number of people applying to UI, not those that are actually working
those that have passed their 6 month of UI are not counted, however it does not mean they found a job. It just means they are not getting unemployment insurance /checks, and after 6 months are not eligible.

Where do you get your #'s from?
From the NYT's March 25th:
The city’s official unemployment rate was 10.2 percent last month, down from 10.4 percent in January, the State Department of Labor reported (http://www.labor.ny.gov/stats/pressreleases/pruistat.htm) on Thursday.

ZippyTheChimp
June 1st, 2010, 12:02 PM
^
That doesn't explain where you got the 40% figure from.