PDA

View Full Version : My 30th Birthday

JennieO
February 16th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I am trying to find a good place to have my birthday in Manhattan. I am turning 30 and want it to be a nice place with great music, relaxing and fun. I would like a loungey place, but with an upbeat vibe and where drinks don't cost a fortune.
Know of any places?
Jenn

Schadenfrau
February 16th, 2007, 12:23 PM
What kind of music are you into?

JennieO
February 16th, 2007, 12:34 PM
I like 80s, hip hop, r & b, rock (like dave matthews style), live cover stuff. Music you can dance to.

JennieO
February 20th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I am looking for a fun place to have my 30th birthday in the city. I would like something nice, loungey, but relaxed at the same time with good music. It can be live or dj. I want to get a little dressed up and would like my out of town friends to feel comfortable as well. I like a place called Manahatta and would like something like that. Maybe a place that does not get extremely crowded so there is room to move, but also enough people there to have a good time. And a place where the drinks do not cost a fortune and there is no cover. A lot to ask for, I know, but it is manhattan and there has to be somewhere like that.
Thanks in advance.
Jenn

Punzie
February 20th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Which day of the week does your birthday fall on this year? What's really good out there sort of depends on the day of the week. Also, will you be taking public transportation or a car?

ThisIsntMyRealName
February 20th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I am trying to find a good place to have my birthday in Manhattan. I am turning 30 and want it to be a nice place with great music, relaxing and fun. I would like a loungey place, but with an upbeat vibe and where drinks don't cost a fortune.
Know of any places?
Jenn

Wow, you're old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JennieO
February 22nd, 2007, 11:34 AM
It will be on a Saturday

Schadenfrau
February 22nd, 2007, 12:15 PM
Saturday is going to be pretty packed anywhere you go. If you liked Manahatta, you should probably try going back there.

pacz
February 22nd, 2007, 12:16 PM
This site should help you out.

http://www.sheckys.com/newyorkcity/nightlife/

JennieO
February 22nd, 2007, 12:41 PM
I like sheckys, but sometimes it is hard to tell what the place really looks like. Thanks for your help.

lofter1
February 22nd, 2007, 06:34 PM
... I like a place called Manahatta ...

Interesting side note about Mannahatta ...

Mannahatta is located at 316 Bowery (SW corner of Bowery / Bleecker).

Berenice Abbott, in her great series "Changing New York", took a photo of the storefront that was on that site in 1938 -- nothing but a humble hardware store.

Pics of "then" & "now" below ...

BrooklynRider
February 22nd, 2007, 09:58 PM
It's not a "dance place," but when I'm celebrating anything, I always make a point to have at least one bottle of champagne at the Bubble Lounge in Tribeca.

Schadenfrau
February 22nd, 2007, 11:48 PM
I'm celebrating my 31st in 11 minutes, but I'll be honest and tell you that I keep my favorite celebration spots in my pocket. So many bars have gotten to be too much for this old broad.