PDA

View Full Version : (link) Bionic eye gives sight to the blind

undertoes
February 17th, 2007, 09:33 PM
http://w ww.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1398491.ece (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article1398491.ece)

A bionic eye that can restore sight to the blind should be available commercially within two years, scientists behind the revolutionary technology announced yesterday.

Brilliant.

ZippyTheChimp
February 17th, 2007, 10:44 PM
It's incredible.

Zerlina
February 18th, 2007, 07:34 AM
True???:eek: It's a miracle!

Ninjahedge
February 20th, 2007, 02:24 PM
I have not read the article yet, but I remember 10 or 15 years ago they were experimenting with a neural implant, basically just some electrodes, that stimulated dot patterns in the brain. I do not know if this was ocular or direct implantation (Optic nerve or brain) but it was interesting.

You could get braille symbols flashed to you and people could see the patterns. But it was really primative.

I believe they were also talking about a rudamentary glasses-mounted camera....

I just hope they get it to the point where they can give these people back some functionality. It would be especially good for those that LOST their sight, seeing how sometimes you value something more when you know what you have lost....

Any way would be good though!

Ninjahedge
February 20th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Ah, I read it now.

I see how they are doing this. The chemicals are gone, so they are pretty much just sending current through the burn out receptor "sockets". They do not have this to micro-level yet, so they can only send "on" and "off" not cone and rod signals...

This is limited, but I think they can get MUCH better with this considering how small we have gotten CPU circuitry to go nowadays.

I can see them making high-resolution greyscale available soon, and depending on the camera used, you could get IR, UV, telephoto, wide-angle and any number of different enhancements.

It all depends, however, on the patient and how they perceive some of these things. Play a game where the motion/FOV is too wide and you get a nauseating "fish eye" kind of effect that would probably be similarly nauseating to a patient if they were fitted with a camera whose FOV was wider than our own native peripheral vision....

/me gets all sci-fi excited....