PDA

View Full Version : Most Diverse County

clubBR
February 27th, 2007, 11:10 AM
What is the most diverse county outside of nyc (with no race being the majority)?

OmegaNYC
February 27th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Well, being that all the 5 boroughs of NYC, are treated as its own county, Queens County (Borough of Queens) is considered the most diverse county in the US. Outside of NYC, I don't know. My guess is Hudson County, NJ

Ninjahedge
February 27th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Bergen.

Maybe Passaic.

You go from uber-yuppie out west, to places like Patterson and Fort Lee in the East.

Depends on your definition of "Diverse".

kliq6
February 27th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Orange County California has this title

Hamilton
February 27th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Ninjahedge, Paterson is to the west of Bergen County, on the border of Passaic County (it is the county seat of Passaic County).

JCMAN320
February 27th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I would most def say Hudson County. JC is one of the most diverse cities in the country and the most diverse in New Jersey and I know Hudson County if not the most diverse is one of the most in the country for sure. Bergen County is definately not.

LocoAko
February 28th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Hudson County without even a second of hesistation. I don't think it gets any more diverse than this. Bergen County? I barely see any other people in Bergen Co. besides whites. Hudson County's diversity is way up there.

Punzie
February 28th, 2007, 02:00 AM
What is the most diverse county outside of nyc (with no race being the majority)?

What's your scope?
The most diverse county (outside NYC) in:

New York only?
NY Metro area?
Tri-State area?
The Northeast U.S.?
The U.S.?
North America?
The world?
:confused:

clubBR
February 28th, 2007, 09:14 AM
ok hudson county it is. Now how about in new york state?

Ninjahedge
February 28th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Hudson County without even a second of hesistation. I don't think it gets any more diverse than this. Bergen County? I barely see any other people in Bergen Co. besides whites. Hudson County's diversity is way up there.

Go to Bergenfield. The ethnicity has changed. Also, Koreans are starting to move in, and yuo have a large Indian contingent moving into areas like Parsippany.

You guys need to get out more! ;)

As for Patterson, I was not sure which of the two counties it was in, that is why I said Passaic as well.

I would look at Bergen and Passaic as the paper in a chromatography lab. All the colors starting to band and seperate as they spread out. It may not be the most INTEGRATED community, but it certainly is diverse.

http://regentsprep.org/Regents/biology/units/homeostasis/chromatography.jpg

JCMAN320
March 5th, 2007, 08:47 PM
"Hudson County is one of America's most ethnically diverse counties. Perhaps most notable are its heavy Cuban communities. It also features substantial African-American and Asian-American populations, while still retaining a strong non-Hispanic White American presence.

As of the census² of 2000, there were 608,975 people, 230,546 households, and 143,630 families residing in the county. The population density was 5,036/km² (13,044/mi²). There were 240,618 housing units at an average density of 1,990/km² (5,154/mi²). The racial makeup of the county was 55.58% White, 13.48% Black or African American, 0.42% Native American, 9.35% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 15.48% from other races, and 5.63% from two or more races. 39.76% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race."

Ninjahedge
March 6th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Bergen County Demographics:

Bergen County is the most populous county of the state of New Jersey, United States. As of the 2000 Census, the population is 884,118. It is part of the New York Metropolitan Area. Its county seat is Hackensack6. Bergen County ranks as the 21st among the highest-income counties in the United States, with a per capita income of $33,638

Demographics:

As of the census˛ of 2000, there were 884,118 people, 330,817 households, and 235,210 families residing in the county. The population density was 1,458/km˛ (3,776/mi˛). There were 339,820 housing units at an average density of 560/km˛ (1,451/mi˛). The racial makeup of the county was 78.41% White, 5.27% Black or African American, 0.15% Native American, 10.67% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 3.22% from other races, and 2.26% from two or more races. 10.34% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Bergen is the most populous of the counties in New Jersey, leading Essex County by approximately 90,000 people. It is also fairly diverse. Fort Lee, Palisades Park, and other communities along the Hudson River have high Chinese-American and Korean-American (see Koreatown: Bergen County) populations of varying affluence. The southern and central portions have a fast-growing Italian-American community, who are also growing quickly in the more affluent northern portions. Bergenfield has become a center for Filipino-American and Indian-American immigrants, and Filipino-Americans have settled across the suburbs of Bergen County, notably in Englewood, where they lead Asian representation with about 2 percent of the population. Hackensack, Fairview, and Teaneck have large Hispanic, particularly Colombian and Cuban communities, while Teaneck has many Arab-American residents. Fair Lawn, Englewood, Tenafly, Englewood Cliffs, Fort Lee, Woodcliff Lake, and Franklin Lakes have substantial Jewish-American and Russian-American communities. Wallington and Garfield are particularly Polish-American. There are significant African American communities in Englewood, Teaneck and Hackensack. There are also significant Croatian and Indian populations in Westwood and Emerson.[citation needed

kliq6
March 6th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Yeah but all the diversity is along the waterfront, go inland and the palce is lily white

Ninjahedge
March 6th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Yeah but all the diversity is along the waterfront, go inland and the palce is lily white

Like Oakland/Pompton, where all the Koreans are starting to move in? Or Parsippany where the indians are moving in? (PS, I love the curry smell at dinnertime).

I know what you are saying, but we are talking about an entire county, nit just the areas closest to NYC.

Also, my chromatography analogy stands. As the minority heratages get more successful, they start moving to areas like BC.

I guess the only thing you can say is that any county that touches the rivers surrounding NYC is really diverse. ;)

tmg
March 6th, 2007, 11:07 PM
There are many ways to measure "diversity."

One common way is to use a "diversity index," which measures the probability that two strangers within a population will be of a different background.

Here's how Wikipedia explains this approach:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_of_diversity

Here's a Census report mapping diversity:
http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/atlas.html
http://www.census.gov/population/cen2000/atlas/censr01-104.pdf

and here's the data table
http://www.census.gov/population/cen2000/atlas/divers.xls

If you go to that data table and sort it by the "Diversity Index," you'll find that Queens is actually ranked second (the island/county of Hawaii is ranked first). Ignoring areas in Alaska and Hawaii, the next most diverse county in the U.S. is Alameda County California (home to Oakland).

Here are the 50 counties with the highest diversity indexes...

1 Hawaii County (HI) 0.77
2 Queens County (NY) 0.76
3 Maui County (HI) 0.75
4 Kauai County (HI) 0.74
5 Aleutians West Census Area (AK) 0.74
6 Aleutians East Borough (AK) 0.74
7 Alameda County (CA) 0.73
8 Kings County (NY) 0.71
9 Honolulu County (HI) 0.71
10 Hudson County (NJ) 0.70
11 Robeson County (NC) 0.70
12 Fort Bend County (TX) 0.69
13 New York County (NY) 0.69
14 San Francisco County (CA) 0.69
15 Los Angeles County (CA) 0.69
16 Solano County (CA) 0.69
17 Santa Clara County (CA) 0.68
18 Kalawao County (HI) 0.68
19 Harris County (TX) 0.68
20 Dallas County (TX) 0.67
21 Cibola County (NM) 0.67
22 San Joaquin County (CA) 0.67
23 Hoke County (NC) 0.67
24 Essex County (NJ) 0.67
25 Cook County (IL) 0.66
26 San Mateo County (CA) 0.66
27 Bronx County (NY) 0.66
28 Suffolk County (MA) 0.65
29 San Bernardino County (CA) 0.65
30 Fresno County (CA) 0.65
31 Kings County (CA) 0.64
32 Sandoval County (NM) 0.64
33 Alexandria city (VA) 0.64
34 Passaic County (NJ) 0.63
35 Hendry County (FL) 0.63
36 Merced County (CA) 0.63
37 Waller County (TX) 0.63
38 Wyandotte County (KS) 0.63
39 Orange County (CA) 0.63
40 San Juan County (NM) 0.63
41 Union County (NJ) 0.63
42 Philadelphia County (PA) 0.62
43 Monterey County (CA) 0.62
44 Denver County (CO) 0.62
45 Sacramento County (CA) 0.62
46 San Diego County (CA) 0.62
47 Kodiak Island Borough (AK) 0.62
48 Socorro County (NM) 0.62
49 Liberty County (GA) 0.61
50 Contra Costa County (CA) 0.61

But as this chart reveals, the "diversity index" is a very crude measure. The Census Bureau calculates it using only eight categories (1. White, not Hispanic; 2. Black or African American; 3. American Indian and Alaska
Native (AIAN); 4. Asian; 5. Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander (NHOPI); 6. Two or more races, not Hispanic; 7. Some other race, not Hispanic; and 8. Hispanic or Latino). Of course, each of these categories stands in for a wide range of different ethnicities and nationalities, and by lumping them all together, this approach fails to capture the true richness of our major metro areas.

Ideally, this would be calculated using the richer "ancestry" data in the census, but I haven't seen anybody attempt to do this.

lofter1
March 6th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I grew up in county #50 ...

County-wide the numbers might show that it is diverse. But actually it is a somewhat segregated county -- the greatest diversity exists on the west and the south sides -- and the rest of the county is fairly homogeneous.

When I was growing up back in the last ice age it was actually red-lined and separated by race.

A good place to move away from ...

JCMAN320
March 7th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Hudson County is number 10 only behind Queens and Brooklyn in this area. YES!!

JCMAN320
March 7th, 2007, 07:30 PM
About Hudson County aka the Gold Coast. Take a good long look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Coast%2C_New_Jersey
Interesting Facts

If the Gold Coast were incorporated into one city, it would be the twenty-first most populated in the country and would still have the smallest land area of the most populous fifty. The only city in the Gold Coast that is on the most populated hundred cities in the United States is Jersey City at sixty six. US Census

The most densely populated city in the country, Union City, New Jersey is in the Gold Coast.

The most densely populated town in the country, Guttenberg, New Jersey is in the Gold Coast.

North Bergen is the city with the second most hills per square mile in the United States behind San Francisco.

North Hudson has the second largest Cuban American population in the United States behind Miami.

Jersey City is the twenty first most racially diverse city in the United States and the most racially diverse on the East Coast of the United States

The Gold Coast has six cities on the list a hundred cities with highest percent of foreign-born residents West New York (65.2%), Union City (58.7%), Palisades Park (57.0%) Guttenberg (48.7%), Fairview (48.4%) and Fort Lee (44.7%).

tmg
March 8th, 2007, 12:38 AM
I grew up in county #50 ...
A good place to move away from ...

I lived in neighboring #7 for 9 years. I'm glad to be in New York, but must admit the Bay Area has its charms!

Back to your point, you're right, this index does not look at spatial integration. Incidentally, I believe that based on a different statistical analysis using census data (I think they look at this diversity index on a census tract level and average it city-wide), Oakland CA claims to be the most diverse and integrated city in the country.

clubBR
March 8th, 2007, 04:40 AM
I lived in neighboring #7 for 9 years. I'm glad to be in New York, but must admit the Bay Area has its charms!

Back to your point, you're right, this index does not look at spatial integration. Incidentally, I believe that based on a different statistical analysis using census data (I think they look at this diversity index on a census tract level and average it city-wide), Oakland CA claims to be the most diverse and integrated city in the country.

I grew up in #2 for 15 years and moved to Jersey and then to Rockland County. Strangely, I see similarities between Rockland and Brooklyn. The Hasidic Jews have their neighborhood of Monsey/New Square/Kaser, surrounded by the African American communities of Sping Valley/Hillcrest. There is also the Latino community of Havestraw, Irish community of Pearl River, and the very liberal areas of Nyack. Of course being a NYC suburb, Rockland has many affluent neighborhoods i.e: New City, Nanuet, Tappan/Orangeburg. But affluent doesn't neccessarily mean white. I live on the border of New City and Nanuet and my neighbors are Blacks, Indians, Chinese, Hispanics, and various white ethnicities. My professors always talk about the diversity of Rockland and it being the "most diverse suburb in New York State, outside NYC". I looked up ethnic diversity on Westchester and Nassau Counties but Weschester is too geographically segregated and Nassau County is economically segregated.
Although living in Rockland is a welcome vacation from hectic Queens, I can't wait to get back to the hustle and bustle.