PDA

View Full Version : Moving to NY from Israel

Bill_Gates
March 6th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Hi to you all New Yorkers :)

I'm planning to move to NY in a few months for a 6 month internship .I have never been to New York and don’t know what to expect so it’s a bit of a scary move for me:eek:.

The internship will be in White St and the closest subway is Canal St.

I was wondering if you guys could recommend a fairly close safe and cheep suburb I could be staying in .I'm young and broke so the maximum I can spend on accommodation would be $1000 a month.

I really don’t mind sharing a house or flat with others and I was wondering if there is a community, site or forum out there where I could look for nice flat mates.

I was also wondering what is the average cost of leaving for a poor student in NY ?

Any other useful info would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks !!!

Schadenfrau
March 6th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I'm confused- do you want to live in a suburb or in NYC?

Bill_Gates
March 6th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Oops sorry language barrier :)

Ok, I am looking for a fairly cheep place in a nice area .The maximum distance would be around 30min from Canal St station by public transportation.I guess a one bedroom flat would be out of the question for my budget .

Schadenfrau
March 6th, 2007, 07:15 PM
You won't be likely to find your own place, but you could easily find roommates on Craigslist.com. Try a search for a share and see which neighborhoods interest you. A 30-minute commute leaves a lot of choices.

Bill_Gates
March 6th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Hi Schadenfrau ,

Thank you so much for your help.

Craigslist.com seems to be a great place to look. Sorry to bombard you with a rain of questions, I was wondering how can I find out how long it takes to get to Canal St station from a potential accommodation zone? Are there any places or areas you could recommend to move to in this radius?

fishermb
March 6th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Hi Schadenfrau ,

Thank you so much for your help.

Craigslist.com seems to be a great place to look. Sorry to bombard you with a rain of questions, I was wondering how can I find out how long it takes to get to Canal St station from a potential accommodation zone? Are there any places or areas you could recommend to move to in this radius?

www.hopstop.com (http://www.hopstop.com) is a great site to check out, if you've got a starting location and an end location, it will tell you the quickest subway and bus routes to get there.

Bill_Gates
March 6th, 2007, 08:33 PM
WOW, thank you fishermb.

Thats a very helpful tool.

Schadenfrau
March 6th, 2007, 10:33 PM
As I said earlier, there are lots of neighborhoods within 30 minutes of Canal Street. That's probably about how long it takes me to get from my neighborhood to the station, and I live in the Bronx. You could live pretty much anywhere, really.

What are you looking for in a neighborhood, other than the typical restaurants, bars, safety, etc?

Bill_Gates
March 7th, 2007, 07:45 AM
I guess I'm looking for a fairly cheep place,first priority :D .The area should be nice and safe, probably a place where university students live. I'm not too fussy about where I want to live as long as its not too polluted (in all aspects) and I could walk around safely at night.