PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about London?

Gregory Tenenbaum
March 8th, 2007, 10:49 AM
"Sir, if you wish to have a just notion of the magnitude of this city, you must not be satisfied with seeing its great streets and squares, but must survey the innumerable little lanes and courts. It is not in the showy evolutions of buildings, but in the multiplicity of human habitations which are crowded together, that the wonderful immensity of London consists."

So said Dr Johnson.

I swear that this could apply to Terminal 4, Heathrow, today.

But of course Dr Johnson also said:

"When a man is tired of London he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."

Do you think that the same would be true today?

Serious answers only please.

londonlawyer
March 8th, 2007, 01:55 PM
...But of course Dr Johnson also said:

"When a man is tired of London he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."

Do you think that the same would be true today?

Serious answers only please.

Yes. London is one of the greatest places on earth. Other outstanding cities such as Madrid, Barcelona, Berlin, SF, Chicago, Boston, HK, etc. pale in comparison to it. Along with NY, it is the greatest business and media center. And along with NY and Paris, it is the world's greatest cultural center. In addition, it is extremely vibrant and international. Ergo, Dr. Johnson's statement remains true.

Gregory Tenenbaum
March 8th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Interesting thoughts LL.

I wonder why Di and Fergie spent/spend so much time away from London? Because they are not men?

Seriously, LL, how can you say that HK pales in comparison to London. Have you even been there? I don't mean Admiralty, I mean Lantau, Ducks Tongue Island, New Territories. The HK International Airport is enough reason to leave London for Hong Kong I would have thought.

Shanghai or HK are surely equal to London in that list of yours.

Bertrude
March 9th, 2007, 06:50 AM
I never used to like London but it has improved tremendously in the last 10 years and is now a really great city. Way too pricey though. I have friend that live there and the prices they pay for rent, tax , food etc is shocking

dragonslayer
March 17th, 2007, 12:06 AM
I never used to like London but it has improved tremendously in the last 10 years and is now a really great city. Way too pricey though. I have friend that live there and the prices they pay for rent, tax , food etc is shocking

It is pricy, but we get 'london weighting' which means our wages are about 20% higher than the rest of the country. i work for the health service so the rent i pay on my flat is 30% lower than it would normally be (we now have key worker schemes and my flat is in a new development in the east end).

As for London - best place in the world as far as i'm concerned. Its got more atmosphere than most places i've visited. Yes its a sprawling mess of concrete, its chaotic and its noisy but thats part of its charm. I've been to plenty of places abroad (lived in OZ for 2 years) and i'm always glad to get back. There is something which i can't put my finger on, but living here makes me feel alive. Some people dislike it of course - a welsh friend of mine wants to move to the country (saying that she had the option of a job in devon but decided to stay), but most people i know have a great fondness for london. A phillipino colleague of mine moved to San Diego last year and came back last month as he missed it here. At the moment London is vibrant and growing both in population and economically. i'm glad to be part of it.