PDA

View Full Version : Favorite New York Shortstop?

NoyokA
March 20th, 2007, 11:37 PM
As the baseball season nears I'm curious to who is your favorite New York Shortstop?

antinimby
March 21st, 2007, 12:35 AM
I voted for Derek.

Btw, why is Derek's name below Jose's?

NoyokA
March 21st, 2007, 12:38 AM
I voted for Derek.

Btw, why is Derek's name below Jose's?

Because I made the thread, lol. It really doesn't matter though.

Punzie
March 21st, 2007, 05:16 PM
#1: Pee Wee Reese

#2: Phil Rizzuto

#3: Derek Jeter

|
|
v
v
v

<insert shortshops inferior to Derek Jeter but superior to Jose Reyes.>

|
|
|
|
v

Jose Reyes

|
|
v

<insert shortshops inferior to Jose Reyes>
|
|
v

(To be continued? :D)

shocka
March 22nd, 2007, 08:56 AM
But does Jeter have a chant that has swept the nation?

ZippyTheChimp
March 22nd, 2007, 09:39 AM
Jeter has become what is rare in sports, especially since free-agency.

If you say "New York Yankees" to anyone, the image that almost always comes to mind is Derek Jeter; he has become the Face of the Franchise.

This doesn't happen automatically to a team with success. The Yankees didn't have one in the late 1970s; you could have named several players. The last one was The Mick in the 60s. The best example in recent history might be Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls, but it's easier to achieve in the NBA with a smaller roster.

The fact that Jeter has achieved this status on a team with other stars is also amazing. Mariano Rivera may have been the team MVP over the last decade, and you could make a case for Bernie Williams or Paul O'Neill.

Despite no extra-baseball reason to do so, Jeter is invariably booed on the road - Face of the Yankees.

Jose Reyes has the potential to be that - great skills and a good guy. But that face could turn out to be David Wright, or no one in particular.

The jury is still out.

Punzie
March 23rd, 2007, 08:56 AM
Stern, your poll question is:

Who is your favorite New York Shortstop?

It should be reworded to something like:

"If you could choose only one of these shortstops as a future Hall of Famer, which one would it be?"

or:

"Which shortstop do you like better?" (For a more subjective answer.)

You never have to master the art/science of poll-making, but if you decide to do so, you have one more very valuable business skill.:)

NoyokA
March 24th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Stern, your poll question is:

It should be reworded to something like:

"If you could choose only one of these shortstops as a future Hall of Famer, which one would it be?"

or:

"Which shortstop do you like better?" (For a more subjective answer.)

You never have to master the art/science of poll-making, but if you decide to do so, you have one more very valuable business skill.:)
I worded it vaguely in hopes of creating an interesting dialogue. Besides Jeter is a sure bet first ballot hall of famer and Jose Reyes is only 23 years old and has only had two full seasons in the major leagues. "Which shortstop do you like better?" is the same as “Favorite New York Shortstop?”

I was expecting Jeter to win the competition, due to his track record and career, but I was hoping for a more interesting debate, perhaps when all is said and done who do you think will be New York’s favorite shortstop?

A couple things do consider….

ESPN does infact proclaims Reyes as “The Best Shortstop in New York”

http://blogs.nydailynews.com/mets/archives/ESPNcover1009.gif

Also ESPN and all the other sports news outlets in their fantasy rankings list Jose Reyes as the number two player in all of baseball, only behind Albert Pujols, Derek Jeter ranks number seventeen.

MLB.com predicts Jose Reyes as the 2007 NL MVP.

The reason is because Jose Reyes as already mentioned is only in his second full year as a big leaguer, and at age 23 is many years away from his prime, often considered to be reached around age 29. At age 23 Jose batted 300 with 19 Home Runs, 17 triples, and swiped 64 bases.

In addition to the numbers that Jose has already put up, the reason why he is my favorite New York shortstop is because of the energy he brings day in and day out, and that’s in addition to tearing up the base paths or making a diving play and throwing a cannon to first, he plays the game like its supposed to be played, he has fun, whether its his dances or his high-fives or horseplay he gets the job done and brings energy and enjoyment to the team and his teammates. I’ve seen too many teams that are lifeless and dull, where players sit quietly at the opposite end of the dugout, running through the motions, and trying to pad their own stats. This New York Mets team unlike those of the recent past are not like this, largely impart because of the indelible personality of Reyes. I realize Jeter is the captain, but he doesn’t have the same effect on the players of the Yankees, and I have lost tremendous respect for Jeter since A-Rod has come to the Yankees, has struggled, and Jeter hasn’t said one word of support for his teammate, he hasn’t once spoken out and said he’s one of us, let’s support him, rather he has allowed old hard feeling to prevail.

For me Jose Reyes in my favorite New York Shortstop.

undertoes
March 25th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Reyes is pretty exciting to watch

Punzie
March 26th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I own that Reyes is the Shortstop of the Moment, and perhaps even one of the Players of the Moment. But surely you remember what a rush Jeter brought to the Yankees at the beginning of his career! Perhaps Reyes is a young Jeter. Only time will tell. Discussion to be continued in 10 years...

P.S. If you are correct, I'll treat you to any restaurant that honors my senior citizen's discount card.:cool:

ZippyTheChimp
March 26th, 2007, 11:45 AM
And Eric Gagne was the Closer of the Moment 2002-2004. He won the Cy Young in 2003. Move over Mariano, said the pundits.

I always thought he threw too hard and was wound a little too tight. He had an arm trouble in 2005, didn't cope with it too well, getting into several arguments.

After the 2006 season, the Dodgers did not pick up his contract, and he's trying again with the Texas Rangers.

Mariano still looking good.