PDA

View Full Version : just would like to ask

fabergegg
March 22nd, 2007, 03:54 AM
what's the best VOIP provider in new york? i'll be moving to queens next week and i need a VOIP phone to call my parents in alabama. any suggestions, guys?

naturalized
March 22nd, 2007, 11:49 AM
what's the best VOIP provider in new york? i'll be moving to queens next week and i need a VOIP phone to call my parents in alabama. any suggestions, guys?

I use skype to call Europe and it works pretty well, a bit fuzzy due to a poor connection on the other end.

Does your location matter for VOIP? I thought anywhere that had internet had VOIP

Deimos
March 22nd, 2007, 03:25 PM
If you both have cell phones from the same provider, the "in-network" minutes would be ideal when compared to any terrestrial phone plan. In general a land line isn't needed in the city.

antinimby
March 22nd, 2007, 04:28 PM
The problem with VOIP is you need high speed internet connectivity and you need to use the computer to make calls and leave it on all the time to receive calls.

fabergegg
March 23rd, 2007, 02:05 AM
im using dial up as of the moment since i just moved out of my parents house. just turned 18 actually. :p are there any other VOIP services that works for dial up?

NokiaGirl
March 25th, 2007, 04:23 AM
try http://www.voip.com. i used to have a dial up for my internet connection and that's what i used. and until now even if i have hi-speed internet, im still with their services. much better than vonage or ventrillo which cant call phone lines.

fabergegg
April 3rd, 2007, 01:03 AM
are you sure? anyway, sure, i'll try out voip.com if you think its whats best for me.

shocka
April 3rd, 2007, 09:17 AM
Get extra minutes on your cell phone. VOIP Will cost at LEAST $15/month, and that will only give you 500mins/month.

VOIP for Dial Up???? This really does not make any sense, as VOIP is used to eliminate the dial up (POTS) fee. In order to use VOIP via POTS, you are making a phone call via POTS then initiating another call with your VOIP Phone. So you are getting hit twice.

Remember to use VOIP you need "hi speed" internet, which is at least $30/month. Then you add the voip fee at least $15/month for Vonage which is horrible. An unlimited calling plan will run you about $25+. BTW, DSL is not "Hi Speed", DSL required a POTS line as well, so do not look into VOIP w/ DSL.

Now to solve your problem, how to call your parents upgrade your cell minutes, that way whereever you are you can still call and say hi to the parental units! When i moved out I did a lot of research looking for the cheapest solution, the real cheap solution was a family plan.

-shocka

fabergegg
April 4th, 2007, 08:40 AM
well the reason i want to make calls using dial up to make local calls is it's much cheaper than if use my telephone. and besides, they know how to use the computer at home. might as well take advantage of it. yeah, i know. im a cheapskate. haha!

im looking for a job right now since im trying to pay my student loans. every penny would count as a saving. :)

getting a cell phone plan's too expensive. cant afford one right now. :mad: