PDA

View Full Version : Good, safe place in Manhattan?

NewYorkDragon
March 30th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I'm moving to N.Y. sometime between Jan. and April of next year. I'll be 18, I'm a partier and I'm moving there to start over and to get my acting career started.

Manhattan has everything I want,...so I've decided on there. Where in Manhattan would be a good place for me to live? I'd like Harlem but I've heard that it's bad at night. Can somebody fill me in on that?

Just looking for somewhere that's easy to get to Times Square and such. I like being in the middle of it all.

When the time comes, I'll be using Craigslist for a place. Looking to spend no more than $900 a month on rent.

Thanks!

beefchowfun
March 30th, 2007, 10:33 PM
It'll be difficult to find your own place downtown for under $1000. Most likely be prepared to share an apartment with a few other people. Craigslist would be a good resource for this.

In terms of neighborhood, most places in lower Manhattan are pretty safe these days. The only places i'd avoid might be Harlem, Washington Heights and Alphabet City, and only if you're very concerned about safety.

NewYorkDragon
March 30th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I'm prepared,...hence why I mentioned Craigslist above. Thanks for the reply.

ryan
March 31st, 2007, 12:21 AM
Read this entire thread (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5632). If you still have questions, please post a new reply there.

Schadenfrau
March 31st, 2007, 02:12 AM
If you had actually looked at Craigslist before you posted this thread, we wouldn't be reading it.

Honestly, the number of redundant and unrealistic threads on these boards has become way too much in the past few months. I've been here for years and it's starting to grate to the point of becoming intolerable.

NoyokA
March 31st, 2007, 02:16 AM
Hopefully we don't have another Kentucky boy on our hand, or whatever his name was.

lofter1
March 31st, 2007, 02:28 AM
Bring your street smarts (if you don't have them yet then get them together before you make the move) and you'll be fine -- even in the areas mentioned above as places to "avoid".

HSL
March 31st, 2007, 08:18 AM
If you can work that gun like Chow Yun Fat then you can go live anywhere. :eek:

NewYorkDragon
March 31st, 2007, 01:59 PM
^^ Laughed at that post.

I figured the Moving to New York thread was where this should be,...but I decided to post it here and if it was in the wrong place -- then somebody would tell me. I apologize.

krulltime
March 31st, 2007, 04:12 PM
Hopefully we don't have another Kentucky boy on our hand, or whatever his name was.

:D LOL! I agree. What a headache that guy became at the end.

krulltime
March 31st, 2007, 04:13 PM
Honestly, the number of redundant and unrealistic threads on these boards has become way too much in the past few months. I've been here for years and it's starting to grate to the point of becoming intolerable.

I know. But you are the best one here. We don't know what we will do without you here. ;)

Schadenfrau
March 31st, 2007, 08:50 PM
You'd probably be forced to answer a lot more questions about the ever-popular topic of SAFETY.