PDA

View Full Version : Car in Queens?

MichelleA
March 31st, 2007, 02:04 PM
I'm moving to Queens to attend a doctoral program at Queens College. I do not know yet what area of Queens I will be living (will fly over there next month to rent apartment). My question is--Should I bring my car to Queens? I'm getting conflicting advice from people who have never even been to New York but have seen Manhattan in movies/TV. Also, I'm told by some others that Queens has sufficient public transportation to move around and that public transportation would be preferrable. Yet I was told by a broker that I should bring my car to get around quicker than the buses. And yet I'm also told that Queens has some areas with poor public transportation. I'm also told that parking may be an issue.

So, as you see, my head is spinning with the different pieces of advice. So I'd love to hear from people who actually live there.

Of course I do know that I definetely do not need a car in Manhattan. My question is about Queens.

ryan
March 31st, 2007, 02:15 PM
Depends where you live - you definely don't need a car in many parts - others it would be nice. It's a choice for you. Parking would be fine, but inconvenient. Parking can take more time than just taking a train, but again, it depends on where in Queens you choose to live.

ablarc
March 31st, 2007, 03:08 PM
So, as you see, my head is spinning with the different pieces of advice. So I'd love to hear from people who actually live there.
They're all right.

You need a car.

It's a hassle.

ryan
March 31st, 2007, 03:18 PM
I'm sure she'll appreciate that advice from someone who doesn't live here.

ablarc
March 31st, 2007, 03:20 PM
You're not allowed to talk about any place you don't live.

ryan
March 31st, 2007, 03:48 PM
Just ironic given "So I'd love to hear from people who actually live there."

ablarc
March 31st, 2007, 05:50 PM
^ Thought you lived in Brooklyn.

Where is "there"?

Some figures...

NYC CAR OWNERSHIP

Citywide:
pop. 8,213,839
cars: 1,943,854
Persons per car: 4.23

Manhattan:
pop. 1,606,275
cars: 252,209
Persons per car: 6.36

Brooklyn:
pop. 2,511,408
cars: 428,839
Persons per car: 5.86

Bronx:
pop. 1,364,566
cars: 255,103
Persons per car: 5.35

Queens:
pop. 2,256,576
cars: 748,695
Persons per car: 3.01

Staten Island:
pop. 475,014
cars: 259,008
Persons per car: 1.83

Source: N Y State Dept of Motor Vehicles

The lower the ratio of people to cars, the more suburban a place is.

ryan
March 31st, 2007, 06:21 PM
I'm thinking "there" is not suburban North Carolina.

HSL
March 31st, 2007, 07:32 PM
:eek: "I'm getting conflicting advice from people who have never even been to New York but have seen Manhattan in movies/TV."

Here's your problem, you are asking people who have never even been to New York, about New York. Second, what they saw of Manhattan on TV is just Manhattan, and Manhattan is not Queens.

I assume you will be living near the school, so my advice to you is BRING YOUR CAR! There's no subway in that part of Queens, and the bus service is far and between. You want to wait 30 mins on a rainy/snowy day for a bus???? There's plenty of street parking in that part of Queens, so no garage bills. :D

And for you to come to Mahattan from the college, on public transportation it will take you at least 1 hour if not more, and this is during rush hour where they run more frequent. If you do the same trip at night or on weekends, you will be doubling or tripling your time.

Half the "New Yorkers" on this board never venture out of Manhattan, so Queens is just as foreign to them as it is to you...............

Punzie
March 31st, 2007, 08:05 PM
If you are used to getting around everywhere by car, and if your life will be centered around Queens, then absolutely bring a car. It's almost a no-brainer. (This advice is against my best interest, which is to have as few cars in Queens as possible.)

Now that that's settled, the real queston is, "Which neighborhoods in Queens are the closest to Queens College; are the easiest to park in; provide the nicest lifestyle; yet are affordable?"

The best fit, in my opinion: Kew Gardens Hills. (Has Flushing zip code.) Run through that area with a fine tooth comb.

Out-of-towners understandably interchange "Kew Gardens" and "Kew Gardens Hills," which are two different areas. (Some realtors take advantage of this.) You want the "Hills".

BTW, I have to drive to/park on the street by Queens College about once a week because I'm affiliated with a few of their institutes of learning.

Schadenfrau
March 31st, 2007, 09:34 PM
Actually, I'd say that the real question is what kind of neighborhood are you looking for, and how close do you want to be to the college?

Kew Gardens and Kew Gardens Hills are perfectly fine neighborhoods, but frankly, a lot of people would think they're dull. If you're looking for a more suburban neighborhood and proximity to the college, they're perfect and you should bring a car. However, if you're looking to live in a more lively area closer to Manhattan, don't bring the car. Having a vehicle in say, Astoria, would be silly, no matter how some random numbers about car ownership in the boroughs pan out.

For what it's worth, my old roommates attended law school at Queens College, and neither of them ever had a car. We lived in Sunnyside, and they would commute on the 7 train. It was certainly a pain, but so is having a car in most of NYC.

ablarc
March 31st, 2007, 09:42 PM
I'm thinking "there" is not suburban North Carolina.
Has Queens changed that much since I lived in New York?

Is it teeming with new subway lines?

Have they built parking garages on every block?

Are you now allowed to park on the sidewalk?

Have they discarded zoning?

Do people get around on segways?

Schadenfrau
March 31st, 2007, 10:06 PM
I'm not sure what's changed, or how long you've been gone, but it's safe to say that the fact you don't need a car to live in Queens hasn't changed.

ablarc
March 31st, 2007, 10:45 PM
I'm not sure what's changed, or how long you've been gone, but it's safe to say that the fact you don't need a car to live in Queens hasn't changed.
It's safe to say nothing germane to the discussion has changed unless I've been gone since the 1930's.

People's needs differ, and so do their perceptions of their needs. Living in Astoria, most people would say you don't need a car --myself included. The rest of Queens? Maybe you don't, but I would.

In a broader sense, no one on the planet needs a car (but that is another discussion).

ramvid01
March 31st, 2007, 10:49 PM

I don't have a car, and I live in Queens merrily (well sort of). Of course it helps to live in an area thats about 5 blocks from 7 tain lines helps too.

My best advise for MichelleA is first decide where you would want to live, and then from there decide if a car is necessary. It really comes down to location.

Front_Porch
March 31st, 2007, 11:13 PM
The infighting on this thread made me laugh out loud.

One piece of relevant information may be that the 7 doesn't run on weekends and won't for awhile.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

antinimby
April 1st, 2007, 02:18 AM
^ Why? Track repair? For how long will this take?

ZippyTheChimp
April 1st, 2007, 06:58 AM
I'm moving to Queens to attend a doctoral program at Queens College. I do not know yet what area of Queens I will be livingYou will get a more focused answer when we know where you will be living.

Should I bring my car to Queens?Most of the advice we give concerns car ownership for people moving to New York. Generally, it's a needless expense in an expensive city. If you are going to keep the car anyway, won't have a problem with expenses, and will be able to find parking, bring your car.

Again, it depends on the neighborhood.

ZippyTheChimp
April 1st, 2007, 09:22 AM
Has Queens changed that much since I lived in New York?More cars. Harder to find parking.

ablarc
April 1st, 2007, 10:33 AM
More cars. Harder to find parking.
Noted in 2004, this trend may or may not have reversed:

NYC Car Ownership Dips

This may come as a surprise to pedestrians and cyclists, who endure car clogged streets, but according to the state Department of Motor Vehicles, car ownership in New York City is declining. According to an analysis in the April 28, 2004 New York Post, the number of vehicles registered by city residents has dropped for the last three years, down to 1996 levels.

City car ownership peaked at 2.04 million in 2000, but fell to 1.94 million last year in 2003, despite population growth. Experts blame the economy, sky-high insurance prices, spiraling gas costs and the increasing nightmare of finding parking spots. Basic car insurance in New York City can cost as much as $1,600 a year, and much more for younger motorists.

NYC Car Ownership

Citywide: Down 4.9%
2000 - 2,044,373
2003 - 1,943,854

Manhattan: Down 1.6%
2000 - 255,780
2003 - 252,209
Brooklyn: Down 11.9%
2000 - 486,987
2003 - 428,839
Bronx: Down 5.2%
2000 - 268,910
2003 - 255,103

Queens: Down 4.6%
2000 - 784,848
2003 - 748,695

Staten Island: Up 4.4%
2000 - 247,848
2003 - 259,008

Source: New York State Department of Motor Vehicles

http://www.transalt.org/press/magazine/042Spring/19metro.html

The infighting on this thread made me laugh out loud.
I apologize for that.

(Though I'm glad you had a good laugh. :))

ZippyTheChimp
April 1st, 2007, 10:41 AM
^
More than when you lived here. You did state:

Has Queens changed that much since I lived in New York?
In 1974, I frequently drove to work in Manhattan, parked free Downtown on 6th Ave.

ablarc
April 1st, 2007, 10:49 AM
You will get a more focused answer when we know where you will be living.

Meanwhile, MichelleA has gone AWOL...

Schadenfrau
April 1st, 2007, 12:19 PM
Yes, she's been missing for all of 22 hours. Send the internet search parties.

ablarc
April 1st, 2007, 12:50 PM
^ She was around at 11:44a.m. today, but we might not have given her anything she finds useful.

MichelleA
April 1st, 2007, 01:57 PM
Oh no, my apologies. I am around. I am just a little distracted. Yesterday my cat was diagnosed with diabetes. So while my computer has been on and I've been attending to this thread, I have also been watching my cat like a hawk looking for signs of detioration in her.

Thank you everybody for your feedback on my "car question". In June I will be going there to secure an apartment and then I'll know exactly WHERE in Queens I will be living. I know I don't want to live TOO far from the campus, but we'll see what I can find. At that point I'll post the "car" question again.

However, as time goes by I'm leaning towards bringing my car. And now with a diabetic cat, I think I may have to have a car. I mean, if she's goes into hypoglycemic shock, I can't necessarily wait for a bus to get her to the emergency animal hospital.

Schadenfrau
April 1st, 2007, 02:02 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your cat- a few of my friends in the same situation have found this to be a valuable resource:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/

If you're living close to the college, it's probably a good idea to have a car. In Queens, a good general rule is the farther out the location, the worse the public transportation.

Punzie
April 1st, 2007, 02:12 PM
So sorry about your cat, Michelle. I have a topic here that is up-to-date on cat food recalls, including the dry food recall this past week.

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13087

MichelleA
April 1st, 2007, 05:31 PM
Thank you both for your kind words.

What really sucks is that I currently live in Los Angeles, so when I officially move in July, we (me & 2 cats) will be driving ALL THE WAY to New York in the hot summer weather. With healthy cats is one thing. But now with the diabetes, it's going to be a scary road trip.

HSL
April 1st, 2007, 06:01 PM
Oh, so your are coming from LA? That means YOU WILL NEED THE CAR! :D

MichelleA
April 1st, 2007, 06:07 PM
Oh no a L.A. jab! ha ha. Actually with some truth to it. Over here you need a car for everything.

Front_Porch
April 1st, 2007, 10:09 PM
^ Why? Track repair? For how long will this take?

The official explanation is improvements on the 7 line itself (see www.nysun.com/article/49154) but I believe the larger problem is work on the LIRR Sunnyside hub.

I think this year and next will both be spotty.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

ramvid01
April 1st, 2007, 10:28 PM
As someone who uses the 7 line quite frequently, these delays are definitely due to track work. They are rearranging the switches to get an extra train in an hour supposedly. They are also modernizing the traffic lighting (I really can't th ink of the correct term right now) so it can run smoother.

It may have to do indirectly with the station thats going to be built at Sunnyside, but that is still far off in the future, as I would assume they would have to connect it to Grand Central before being actually useful (or youll have a spur until its done).

Although this track work is not uncommon, for as long as I remember, which is about 10 years, they have been doing track work. Seems endless really.

Punzie
April 2nd, 2007, 01:36 AM
. . . I currently live in Los Angeles, so when I officially move in July, we (me & 2 cats) will be driving ALL THE WAY to New York in the hot summer weather. With healthy cats is one thing. But now with the diabetes, it's going to be a scary road trip.
Don't do a cross-country road trip with a diabetic cat; if she happens to need emergency medical attention while you are driving in the middle of nowhere...:(

Take a plane from LA to NYC -- Bring the diabetic cat, minorly tranquilized, on board with you in a carrier. You can watch her and attend to all her needs. Choose:

(1) Have the healthy cat, minorly tranquilized, in the plane's cargo. A week before this plane ride, send your possessions to your Queens apartment and have your car transported to NYC via an agency.

or

(2) Have somebody in LA watch your healthy cat while you're flying to NYC with your diabetic cat. When you arrive in Queens, put your diabetic cat in a veterinary kennel and fly back to LA. Drive across country in your car with your possessions and healthy cat, and reclaim your diabetic cat as soon as you arrive in Queens.

When I moved from California to NYC in 1990, I did option (1) with my kitten on board and my 2 cats in cargo. My knowledge on this subject is obsolete, but I know that you can still bring one on the plane and one in cargo. BTW, my 3 cats are all still around to tell the story.:)

MichelleA
April 2nd, 2007, 03:28 AM
Oops. You're absolutely right. What was I thinking? I guess I will have to fly with the diabetic cat. I hadn't thought about if something goes wrong in the middle of nowhere. I guess I'll have to have my car transported by an agency. Thanks so much for the advice. (My kitty thanks you too:) )

Ninjahedge
April 2nd, 2007, 09:37 AM
The wife used to live in Forest Hills. A very nice, but a bit removed area of Queens.

ALL of her family members had cars. It was a 15 minute walk to the nearest subway stop, and there was no corner deli/grocery worth walking to.

But, that being said, it all depends on where you will be, and how close to the college. If you are going to be within a mile of the campus, it will only take you 15-20 minutes to walk there! Also, it depends on which direction you will be going when you use your car. Plan on visiting the family often? Keep the car.

BUT, if you get a car, there are a lot of areas that are crowded and hard to drive through. The closer you get to manhattan, usually the worse the driving and parking gets. They are also not the best way into the city unless you are buying something heavy and need to cart it back.

ALSO, remember that if you are coming to a city school and you bring a car, you will be the official taxi driver for your friends when they find out. That can be a royal pain sometimes!

So it is up to you, but I would start picking through the areas and find out where you want to live first, then decide on the car. Queens is pretty diverse, so it is hard to say that a car would be good, or bad, everywhere.

shocka
April 3rd, 2007, 09:34 AM
For Queens College, you will need a car, depending on Bus service while trying to study is a bad idea in my opinion. Think of the day you want to study late in the library but because of the bus sch. you have to leave. I have lived in various spots in queens and always had a car. Now i live in LIC and choose not to have one because I am out of town most of the week and a garage is too expensive in LIC

Ali R, the 7 train has been down the last couple weekends, but with the Mets Season starting they have no choice but to keep service running especially on weekends with games.

Ninjahedge
April 3rd, 2007, 09:41 AM
For Queens College, you will need a car, depending on Bus service while trying to study is a bad idea in my opinion. Think of the day you want to study late in the library but because of the bus sch. you have to leave.

Ali R, the 7 train has been down the last couple weekends, but with the Mets Season starting they have no choice but to keep service running especially on weekends with games.

Are everyones legs broken or something?

How bad is that area that you cannot walk, bike, or blade to the library to study?

And don't bring in the bad weather circumstance either! You think digging your car out late-night during a storm is any fun?

So I would still come down and look around, see how close you will be to the campus, and how important it would be to have the additional transportation. It is handy to have a car when you are in school, but it is also handy to have $$.

Your choice.

Schadenfrau
April 3rd, 2007, 10:46 AM
I would bet good money that a bus runs later than the library is open, especially for Queens College.

Still, Ninjahedge is correct to bring up finances. If they're not a worry, bring your car and garage it.

ManhattanKnight
April 3rd, 2007, 11:34 AM
Oops. You're absolutely right. What was I thinking? I guess I will have to fly with the diabetic cat. I hadn't thought about if something goes wrong in the middle of nowhere. I guess I'll have to have my car transported by an agency. Thanks so much for the advice. (My kitty thanks you too:) )

MichellaA: I don't drive, but I do have cats and cats-on-planes experiences that may be more recent than Rapunzel's. While I can't point to any specific horror story, I would never put a cat or any other sentient animal (drugged or not) in air cargo, especially during the summer. Never.

A few years ago, I flew several times with 2 cats between NYC and another city where they were having surgical procedures done that weren't yet available at any animal hospital in NYC. One-at-a-time, the cats traveled with me in the passenger cabins, without incident, except for the reactions of some fellow passengers when they saw me removing cats still adorned with surgical tubes from their carriers and hand-carrying them through the X-ray machines.

The in-cabin pet policies of the airlines do differ somewhat; so if you do pick that option, be sure to do your research and make your reservations well in advance. Also, unfortunately, expect to pay more than you would to bring along a small human.

shocka
April 3rd, 2007, 04:37 PM
Are everyones legs broken or something?

How bad is that area that you cannot walk, bike, or blade to the library to study?

Ninjahedge, I am not sure how much you know about eastern queens, i actually call any place east of Kew Gardens the Burbs of Queens.

There is VERY LITTLE difference between these areas and Nassau county. Public transport is limited to LIRR and Bus, which might not even be public. At night there are not too many people walking the street, certainly more then on Nassau county, but nothing close to an area such as Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Astoria, Sunnyside etc.

Ninjahedge
April 4th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Ninjahedge, I am not sure how much you know about eastern queens, i actually call any place east of Kew Gardens the Burbs of Queens.

There is VERY LITTLE difference between these areas and Nassau county. Public transport is limited to LIRR and Bus, which might not even be public. At night there are not too many people walking the street, certainly more then on Nassau county, but nothing close to an area such as Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Astoria, Sunnyside etc.

Have you been to the area in Forest Hills away from Queens Boulevard?

It is pretty vacant at night, and VERY suburban. Wife lived a good 15 minute QUICK walk from the last stop on the F.

People just do not want to walk!