PDA

View Full Version : Greater Jamaica Development Corp

JamaicaWatch
April 1st, 2007, 07:23 PM
It seems like the so called non for profit "The Greater Jamaica Development Corp" (GJDC) has profit in mind? I noticed they themselves and their subsidarary Jamaica Capital Corp has been on a buying binge. Where is a non for profit getting all this money? What is with all these garages they own? Does anyone know anything about their president Carlisle Towery (AKA) Carlyle Towery? Are any of the other NYC non for profit economic development corporations buying up properties by the handfull that is slated for development? I thought these non for profits were put in place to assist developers and the comunity, not buy property and run garages. I noticed a Helen Levine signing mortgage documents and all sorts of other instruments. Who is she? If anyone knows the answer to any of these questions i would appreciate the education. SOMETHING SMELLS WRONG!

JoeyQueens
May 27th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Nail on the Head, JamaicaWatch...Greater Jamaica Development is nothing but a scaming handout receiving wannabe development outfit run by this guy Carlyle Towery and his rubberstamping board. I have lived and worked in Jamaica since the late 60s when this guy came out of the woodwork from Alabama were he was an incompitant planner. From what I see he chose Jamaica as prey since the area had become depressed and retailers such as Macys and Gertz were fleeing. His biggest and only claim to fame was his minor position assisting York College. Since then all his organization has done is ride the wake of the[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial Black]the accomplishments of a few local developments that had nothing to do with them. When the AirTrain was developed they persuaded LCOR to attempt an office development were they would get a piece. My guess is LCOR split because they smelt a dirty entity. And yes, you are correct, he has been buying properties like the old Chem Bank building on the SE corner of Sutphin & Jamaica. He pulled that one off because the dispostion guy at the bank was on his board. HOW CONVENIENT!