PDA

View Full Version : Flashing over my window

seven
April 2nd, 2007, 01:19 PM
Yes here i am again looking for advice. The naive fellow who's gotten so blinded from the idea of owning a big floor thru Chelsea loft (even if it was in an old building that "looked" in the process of being renovated) overlooking things like details and finishes...Well i am now living in the building while waiting to close, been here for 5 months, we don't have the COO yet, lived without gas for a few months. everything is working now, BUT.
I had a leak on the front of the loft that has been recently "repaired" with a piece of ol' flashing material all across the facade, and it looks AWFUL. Like a piece of painted corrugated metal patched over it. I hate it, mostly because the apartment is quite expensive. I've been asking the owner to do something about but he won't. I interviewed a couple of architects/ contractors trying to resolve it myself but they don't sound too optimistic because the building is old, the rooftop has new construction built on top (my unit used to be the top floor of the original building) and it's too small a project. I am afraid that the flashing across the facade diminishes the value of the property and if that's the case i will want out of the contract because the building no longer looks like it did at contract time. Do i have reasons to fear problems selling the property in the future? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

seven
April 3rd, 2007, 02:44 PM
What? No comments? No help?

jennicak
April 3rd, 2007, 02:52 PM
What? No comments? No help?

prob would be nice if you could post a picture. dont think any of us really have a good idea on what your issue is. also, for someone that just uses this chat when he/she needs help, you sound a bit rude. it's only been 24 hours since you've put the original chat up.

ZippyTheChimp
April 3rd, 2007, 03:14 PM
Besides the photo, it would help if this were posted in Questions and Answers, even though it involves real-estate.

seven
April 3rd, 2007, 10:03 PM
didn't want to be rude, just desperate to find a solution before i close

ZippyTheChimp
April 4th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Well, you're right. It looks terrible. It's the same flashing that's used on roof edges when cornices are removed. I don't know what's in the mind of the "average buyer," but it would influence me. One of the brokers who frequent this forum can give you a qualified answer.

I can't give you any legal advice, but since you stated that the apartment is expensive, you have housing options. You shouldn't have to settle for something you don't like.

jennicak
April 4th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Well, you're right. It looks terrible. It's the same flashing that's used on roof edges when cornices are removed. I don't know what's in the mind of the "average buyer," but it would influence me. One of the brokers who frequent this forum can give you a qualified answer.

I can't give you any legal advice, but since you stated that the apartment is expensive, you have housing options. You shouldn't have to settle for something you don't like.

...unless you already put a down payment down.. and prob wld be tough to get it back due to this chg? i wld ask your lawyer.

However, looking at it in the pic, doesnt look that bad.

seven
April 4th, 2007, 10:37 AM
But the apt is 1,5 Mil and the outside should look better then that!

ablarc
April 4th, 2007, 12:16 PM
If the leak is fixed I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Most folks have nearly zero sophistication when it comes to a building's exterior appearance; if it were otherwise, few condos in Kondylis buildings would be sold. Anyway your building is no work of art; with or without the flashing it's on a par with a Kondylis quickie.

I say: chill out, everything's more or less OK.

Front_Porch
April 4th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I think it's like when you're a teenager and you have a pimple on your face -- it's a blemish that's foremost in your mind, but most others -- in your case buyers -- do not care and many will not notice at all.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

User Name
April 4th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Having a piece of metal trim that may or may not add to the exterior view of the building, does nothing (I'm sure) to the view you enjoy from the inside. I wouldn't sweat it too much, as someone previously said: "I doubt anyone casually looking would even notice it."

seven
April 4th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Thank you for making me feel like it won't affect the resale.....But it is a building whose units have details like baseboards inside the closets, and i would expect similar care on the outside as well..anyway i 'm going to talk to another contractor tomorrow, it's going to feel good to know that the metal trim can be taken out if i want to!