PDA

View Full Version : Safety in New York

OneInOH
March 29th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Moderator Note:

Ask questions here about safety concerns when visiting New York City.

-Stern

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Hello,

I am going to NYC soon and I am going to do some walking.
How safe is to walk around outer side of Central park, especially on the East side?
I am going to park somewhere close to W 59th st (i found a cheaper spot)and Central park and then walk North to the Museum of natural History, the walk thru the park to the Metropolitan Museum and then come down South on the east side of the park back to 59th st. i am palning on coming back from the metropolitan museum after 8-8:30 PM. Would it be safe?

Thanks

clubBR
March 29th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Absolutely safe. The southern portions of Central Park are the most populated and safest part of the park

OneInOH
March 29th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Absolutely safe. The southern portions of Central Park are the most populated and safest part of the park

What about the Eastern side?

Thanks.

Schadenfrau
March 29th, 2007, 02:00 PM
It's one of the safest areas in the city. Stop being so paranoid and enjoy your trip.

ManhattanKnight
March 29th, 2007, 03:39 PM
What about the Eastern side?

Definitely to be avoided, especially near sunset, when Pale Male and his gang are most active in that area. If you glance down at your stopwatch for even an instant, you could be swept off your feet and reduced a bloody pulp before you have time even to squeal "Why, oh why, oh why, oh -- why did I ever leave Ohio?"

antinimby
March 29th, 2007, 05:22 PM
You gotta be real careful 'cause Kitty Carlisle Hart is known to do a few drive-by's in that area.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/03/21/nyregion/ziplarge.jpg

OneInOH
March 31st, 2007, 04:36 PM
I thought this forum was a serious one, or at least people would be.
Soem people must have a lot of time to waste if instead of helping otheres, just give silly answers.

ZippyTheChimp
March 31st, 2007, 05:07 PM
Your question was answered in the first reply.

The silliness was triggered by your response, what about the Eastern side, which I found hilarious.

OneInOH
March 31st, 2007, 07:52 PM
Your question was answered in the first reply.

The silliness was triggered by your response, what about the Eastern side, which I found hilarious.
No, my question wasn't answered in the 1st reply, that's why I asked about the East side. You can read yourself, I don't wanna waste my time with people like.Obvioulsy there are some assh***es in this forum who believe they own everything.

HSL
March 31st, 2007, 07:57 PM
Dress like a rapper and you will be fine. No sane millionaire white dude will wanna mess with a homie. :eek:

ZippyTheChimp
March 31st, 2007, 08:07 PM
No, my question wasn't answered in the 1st reply, that's why I asked about the East side.Sorry, I didn't realize you were going after the cardinal compass points.

The SW and SE are also safe.

Try to have fun in New York, in spite of...well, forget it.

OneInOH
March 31st, 2007, 08:38 PM
Dress like a rapper and you will be fine. No sane millionaire white dude will wanna mess with a homie. :eek:
Yes, that's a good idea. but the problem will be tha fact i will be carrying a camera. :rolleyes: it would match with the poor clothing :eek:

OneInOH
March 31st, 2007, 08:41 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize you were going after the cardinal compass points.

The SW and SE are also safe.

Try to have fun in New York, in spite of...well, forget it.
The reason I asked about East side is because I am under the impression that East side is less safe than West side... at least from what I've read so far.

Thanks anyway.

lesterp4
March 31st, 2007, 08:59 PM
I wonder whom you have been talking to? The eastside of the park is bordered by 5th ave. Surely one of the wealthiest strips in the world. I think the stories about getting mugged in the park are from the 70s and 80s. NYC is sooo safe now and with all the tourists around you wont get mugged.

pagh
March 31st, 2007, 09:46 PM
Try to arrange your NYC outing to coincide with the Puerto Rican Day Parade. There will be thousands of people on Fifth Avenue. I think the parade occurs in June.

antinimby
April 1st, 2007, 02:26 AM
Obvioulsy there are some assh***es in this forum who believe they own everything.Why do you have to have such a bad attitude about it?

It was all in lighthearted fun. And even if we didn't quite clear cut answer your eastern park question, anyone with half a brain would have realized the answer just from the tone of the replies.

HSL
April 1st, 2007, 06:00 AM
Try to arrange your NYC outing to coincide with the Puerto Rican Day Parade. There will be thousands of people on Fifth Avenue. I think the parade occurs in June.

I have noticed the following:

You go to the Carribeans, the black people there are nice. You go to Puerto Rico and the Puerto Ricans there are nice. But once they land in JFK............

Corruption by the white man? :D

OneInOH
April 1st, 2007, 11:05 AM
I wonder whom you have been talking to? The eastside of the park is bordered by 5th ave. Surely one of the wealthiest strips in the world. I think the stories about getting mugged in the park are from the 70s and 80s. NYC is sooo safe now and with all the tourists around you wont get mugged.
Well, I read a few forums, but one that comes into my mind now is virtualturist.com.

thanks

OneInOH
April 1st, 2007, 11:11 AM
Why do you have to have such a bad attitude about it?

It was all in lighthearted fun. And even if we didn't quite clear cut answer your eastern park question, anyone with half a brain would have realized the answer just from the tone of the replies.
I came to this forum with good intention, but if you start talking like that, you better stay away.
I only asked a specific question about a specific area.I wanted to be sure.That's all.
So you have half of braine since you understood the question so quickly :eek:

ryan
April 1st, 2007, 11:20 AM
http://p.vtourist.com/i/ta/tipActionTileLeft.gifList of things not to do in NYCTip Rating: http://p.vtourist.com/i/starOnOrng.gifhttp://p.vtourist.com/i/starOnOrng.gifhttp://p.vtourist.com/i/starOnOrng.gifhttp://p.vtourist.com/i/halfstar_orng.gifhttp://p.vtourist.com/i/StarOff.gif
http://p.vtourist.com/i/ta/tipActionTileRight.gifhttp://p.vtourist.com/i/ta/tipActionUpperLeftBottomBK2.gif
http://p.vtourist.com/i/ta/tipActionUpperRightBottomBK2.gif
Updated By MidnightHeat (http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/ace7e/)http://i.virtualtourist.com/online.gif?708222 on January 22, 2006

I have lived in New York City my entire life. I have created a list of things that tourists coming to NYC should not do, here they are: 1. if you are White stay in downtown or Midtown Manhattan. 2. Do not go to Brooklyn or the Bronx or Harlem whatever you do. They are EXTREMELY dangerous for White people especially at night. 3.Look like you know where you are going at all times even if you dont. 4.Don't travel the subways at night. 5.Do not flash cash!! 6.LOOSE the stupid maps already!! 7.Stop looking up at the skyscrapers. 8.Don't walk aroung the streets of NYC wearing goofy looking clothes or funny shoes. 9.If you don't want to stand out then do not cross at the light, since everyone in NYC jaywalks. 10.Don't drive here!!! 11.Don't talk to people in the street you don't know or make eye contact with anyone on the subway. 12. Don't give money to panhandlers. 13. Do not walk slow!!! 14. Watch your wallet at all times!!! If you follow these simple rules you will not have any problems in NYC. Virtual tourist is a funny site. Why do people travel if they think the world is so scary? (I also loved the thread on not tipping in nyc).

antinimby
April 1st, 2007, 05:45 PM
I came to this forum with good intention, but if you start talking like that, you better stay away.
I only asked a specific question about a specific area.I wanted to be sure.That's all.
So you have half of braine since you understood the question so quickly :eek:Apparently what I said went right over your head.

At the risk of making you more confused, let me just put it this way. No one questioned your intention to ask a specific question about a specific area. In fact, it's you that is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

The only problem is how you misinterpret humor as an affront to you personally. Being someone so new, you shouldn't be the one telling someone to stay away.

If you stick around long enough, you'll see that the tone of this forum range from, sometimes contentious to lighthearted joking.

For all the years I've been here, I can honestly say I have never encountered anyone that have no sense of humor as you.

Also quite frankly, I find it peculiar that someone who seemingly knows the area well enough to know where you're going and what you'll see, have no idea that this is one of the most affluent areas in the country (did they leave this bit of important information out of the guidebook?), let alone the world and to even after a couple of responses assuring its safety, to get offended when the next couple did so, albeit sarcastically.

You must not be a very pleasant person to be around.

NoyokA
April 2nd, 2007, 12:50 AM
Well, I read a few forums, but one that comes into my mind now is virtualturist.com.

thanks

Do you want advice from other tourists with the same misconceptions or do you want the truth, advice from New Yorkers who live here and know. Central Park is very safe, I used to walk the park sometimes several nights a week, sometimes very late at night, around 3am some nights, around The Reservoir, which is at the northern part of the park, I would start from the east side and make a full circle. I have other friends who have slept in the park over night.

But ignore what everyone has said and go ahead believing the Park is dangerous, perpetuate the false truths. I will tell you one thing though, people that think they are going to run into trouble, usually do, it just works out like that.

ablarc
April 2nd, 2007, 05:43 AM
I will tell you one thing though, people that think they are going to run into trouble, usually do, it just works out like that.
Even on the affluent Upper East Side! You might get mugged by one of those old rich guys!

brianac
April 2nd, 2007, 07:17 AM
I am making my second visit to NYC in June and want to visit Harlem for the first time. As I am travelling alone I wondered if anyone could give me any advice about walking in Harlem. I plan to take the subway to 125th St. and walk West to Grants Tomb, then South to take in Riverside Church, Cathedral Church of St John the Divine, Columbia University, Toms Diner, and back to the North Western Corner of Central Park. Should I have any safety concerns or avoid any particular places.

Ninjahedge
April 2nd, 2007, 09:50 AM
Do you want advice from other tourists with the same misconceptions or do you want the truth, advice from New Yorkers who live here and know. Central Park is very safe, I used to walk the park sometimes several nights a week, sometimes very late at night, around 3am some nights, around The Reservoir, which is at the northern part of the park, I would start from the east side and make a full circle. I have other friends who have slept in the park over night.

But ignore what everyone has said and go ahead believing the Park is dangerous, perpetuate the false truths. I will tell you one thing though, people that think they are going to run into trouble, usually do, it just works out like that.

I agree.

You go aroung clutching at yourself with your eyes darting around and occasionally looking up, open mouthed, at the tall buildings and you will find the 1 out of 10,000 people in Manhattan than might be a risk to you.

You mark yourself better than spreading chum all over yourself. Hell, you did that and you wuold get bitten in a kiddie pool!

Follow the advice. NYC is safe. Safer than just about any big city in the world. Safe does not mean run around town at 3AM with money hanging out of your pockets and a T-Shirt that reads "I am a tourist, mug me for the memories!".

So relax, get your panties unbunched, and realize that the stuff they are writing in VT is paranoid and delusional:

From the previous post:

1. if you are White....
2. Do not go to ... at night.
3.Look like you know ... even if you dont.
4.Don't...
5.Do not...
6.stupid
7.Stop looking
8.Don't ... goofy looking ... funny
9.If you don't want .... everyone in NYC jaywalks.
10.Don't drive...
11.Don't talk to people or make eye contact ....
12. Don't give money ...
13. Do not walk slow!!!
14. Watch your wallet

If you follow these simple rules you will not have any problems in NYC.

If you follow these rules you will be a scared little creep that we will all see as a tourist from a mile away.

What a negative post that guy had!

krulltime
April 2nd, 2007, 10:32 AM
^ Not at all. You will be fine.

Hey moderators... Maybe we can make a sticky thread about safety in NYC? Lately so many people are still concern about safety in NYC. Having a sticky one might be helpful for all members. ;)

krulltime
April 2nd, 2007, 10:35 AM
I like #13... Do Not Walk Slow!!! :D Yes Tourists can follow that one.

WestSideShooter
April 2nd, 2007, 01:32 PM
So relax, get your panties unbunched, and realize that the stuff they are writing in VT is paranoid and delusional...

If you follow these rules you will be a scared little creep that we will all see as a tourist from a mile away.

The culture of fear is hard for some people to shake, especially in the nannified Red States of the Midwest.

The crazy thing is that the homicide rate in Ohio's major cities dwarfs that of New York City. Cincinnati has the 8th highest murder rate in America, with 25.1 murders per 100,000 people; NYC's rate is 6.6 per 100,000 (ranks 49th in America).

What a negative post that guy had!

Proof that not everyone has the human skills necessary to survive or thrive in New York. Now, there are exceptions to this, but I think it's awfully hard to be a shrill, fear-biting passive-aggressive person and make it here, whether for a weekend or a lifetime.

NewYorkDragon
April 2nd, 2007, 02:54 PM
That'd be a good idea,...and I say that even though I created another thread just like this one. Take a picture or two -- will ya?

krulltime
April 2nd, 2007, 03:10 PM
Take a picture or two -- will ya?

I did that already...

Harlem, Manhattan (Part 1 - 60 photos!) (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11214)

Harlem, Manhattan (Part 2 - 55 photos!) (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11241)

lesterp4
April 2nd, 2007, 04:00 PM
as i stated in the central park thread I think this business about NYC being so dangerous is folklore from the 70s and 80s. If these people are so scared I don't understand why they come here. Don't talk to strangers, watch your possessions and have a nice time. I think now NYC is no more dangerous than any other world class city.

OmegaNYC
April 2nd, 2007, 04:03 PM
I like #13... Do Not Walk Slow!!! :D Yes Tourists can follow that one.

Amen! ;)

NewYorkDragon
April 2nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
I was referring to more recent photos, but thanks.

Schadenfrau
April 2nd, 2007, 04:20 PM
Those photos are five months old!

OmegaNYC
April 2nd, 2007, 04:22 PM
Ahem.... 6 months, Schadenfrau, 6 months. :p

Ninjahedge
April 2nd, 2007, 04:33 PM
Amen! ;)

No, the full thing would be:

Treat the sidewalk as a road of pedestrian passage.

If you need to talk about something, or look at a map, do not stop in the center of the sidewalk, oblivious to all those around you, and proceed to look confused around you as you try and figure out which way is "up". You would not stop your car in the middle of a highway to do the same thing. You would find a good place to pull over and take a look.

Also, keeping with the roadway analogy, keep moving! There are no such things as 4-ways (hazard lights) on the human butt. You do not travel 30mph on the highway, try not to shuffle along, all next to each other, as if you were at the mall.

Hell, you don't even do that at the mall!

The key is always to relax. You can look at the sights, even with your mouth gaping open. It all depends on how you want to be seen and how you want people to react to you. So long as you and your family do not decide to park your butts, and luggage, on the steps of Grand Central, you will find that most NYers are very helpful and friendly (so long as they are not oblivious to you with their Ipods screening out the general noise of the city!! ;) ).

The biggest problem I had with that referenced post that was brought in was that it focused on all these things you should NOT do. Don't do this, don't do that, don't dress funny, don't go out at night, don't be a goof, don't wave hundred dollar bills at strangers in a desolate area of Queens at 3 in the morning.

Most advice is just use your noggin. If you think something is stupid to do, don't DO it! ;)

Just don't be scared about everything everyone tells you. They were probably the same people that bought Skylab helmets.

Schadenfrau
April 2nd, 2007, 04:33 PM
Technically, they're five months and two days, so we're both correct.

Ninjahedge
April 2nd, 2007, 04:35 PM
I see them as 5 months and two days young.... :cool:

krulltime
April 2nd, 2007, 04:40 PM
I was referring to more recent photos, but thanks.

The place looks almost the same, with a few new construction going on.

OmegaNYC
April 2nd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Amen to that, too. ;)

krulltime
April 2nd, 2007, 05:32 PM
Sorry for stereotyping but I don't think many of our tourists know how to walk in a 'real' city. Oh and I can tell who they are. They are infact mostly Americans. Oh and I can hear their accents, when suddendly I find myself stop in the middle of the sidewalk by a family group, who just decided to stop to stare at something or just figure out they are not in the right place. Usually this happens during the summer. They just stand there like they will probably do when they are in some huge parking lot looking for their SUV.

antinimby
April 2nd, 2007, 05:36 PM
^ Interesting. What do you think about the Europeans (and other foreigners)?

Better or worst than the Americans?

krulltime
April 2nd, 2007, 05:46 PM
^ Well, I've found that they are better when they walk. For one thing, when they stop to look at something (since they are tourists they must) they either get closer to the curb of the sidewalk, they also seem to look behind them to see if they are in the way of another person, they will moved closer to the store window, etc. Americans usually just stop and take the whole sidewalk and stare at things. It is worst when it is a group of Americans.

I am not saying that Americans are arrogant and selfish, I actually think most Americans are some of the friendliest and nicest people in the world, but I do think that they are oblivious of most of their surroundings when they walk and aren't used to walking in cities for the most part. Of course New Yorkers and the few who actually live in an urban environment in other cities, do know how to walk and aswell as the Europeans and other foreigners.

brianac
April 3rd, 2007, 06:23 AM
Thanks krulltime.

lesterp4. Don't blame the visitors, blame the out of touch city guides.

Ninjahedge
April 3rd, 2007, 09:04 AM
I think the main reason is that NY gets a lot more non-urban Americans than rural Europeans.

Most of the travellers from Europe are probably from an urban center and not from the foothills.

Think of the US. How many Arkansonians have you seen in London? Barcelona? Tokyo? Very few.

All in all, most of them are as stated, not bad just clueless.

Schadenfrau
April 3rd, 2007, 09:14 AM
Which guides are they, and what do they say? I believe you, but I'm curious.

ASchwarz
April 3rd, 2007, 11:23 AM
Friends of mine have slept in and, um, done some other things with one another very late at night in Central Park. It is very safe, both on the East and West sides. If anything, I would imagine the East Side would be even safer, but they are both really safe.

NoyokA
April 3rd, 2007, 05:05 PM
^ Not at all. You will be fine.

Hey moderators... Maybe we can make a sticky thread about safety in NYC? Lately so many people are still concern about safety in NYC. Having a sticky one might be helpful for all members. ;)

That's not a bad idea. I'll give it a try.

Schadenfrau
April 3rd, 2007, 05:11 PM
Tourists, consider yourselves warned: you're all doomed!

brianac
April 3rd, 2007, 05:14 PM
For my visit in 2005 I bought a copy of the AA 2004 New York Guide and also had a look at a slightly older copy of Fodors New York Guide.
While they make some minor warnings like, "Dont walk in Central Park alone" or "Take a taxi if going to the East Village at night" , it is the lack of information about getting around in places other than Times Square etc.
I had a good time in 2005 and am looking forward to my next visit in June.
My original question about Walking in Harlem was asked, because I just wanted to know from a New Yorker.

NoyokA
April 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM
There's parts of Harlem you don't want to venture. Mainly around the housing projects and the parks by night. This is because there isn't a street presence and the areas tend to be dark and barren, creating an opportunity for crime not isolated to Harlem. You will be safe on all Avenue's and 125th and 135th Street in Harlem at all times.

Schadenfrau
April 3rd, 2007, 05:27 PM
The areas you're going to be walking are considered Morningside Heights. The streets are filled with both tourists and locals, and you're seriously unlikely to encounter any problems.

I really think that the majority of travel guidebooks are written for people who have never left their hometown, nor traveled anywhere without driving door to door. I saw a lot of fear-mongering in the guides to Barcelona I read last year, but rightfully took it with a shaker of salt.

Ninjahedge
April 4th, 2007, 09:11 AM
The areas you're going to be walking are considered Morningside Heights. The streets are filled with both tourists and locals, and you're seriously unlikely to encounter any problems.

I really think that the majority of travel guidebooks are written for people who have never left their hometown, nor traveled anywhere without driving door to door. I saw a lot of fear-mongering in the guides to Barcelona I read last year, but rightfully took it with a shaker of salt.

That's a LOT of grains!!!

NewYorkDragon
April 4th, 2007, 02:42 PM
So you'd say that Morningside is the ideal place to live in the Harlem area? It's def. the place I see advertised the most.

Schadenfrau
April 4th, 2007, 02:45 PM
"Ideal" really depends on who's asking, and what they're looking for.

ablarc
April 4th, 2007, 04:19 PM
So you'd say that Morningside is the ideal place to live in the Harlem area?
Morningside Heights is safe, pleasant, lively, dominated by students, well stocked with bookstores and dotted with reasonably-priced places to eat. It's also fairly convenient to the rest of Manhattan if you don't mind a half-hour ride on public transport. There's enough to do locally that when I lived there I'd leave mostly on weekends. Very convenient.

It's def. the place I see advertised the most.
That may be partly because of its good reputation, so realtors draw its boundaries on the wide side.

OmegaNYC
April 4th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Oh boy. People still going on about this? Ever since New York got rid of this guy:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/05/Jasonf.jpg

Crime has dropped dramatically

krulltime
April 5th, 2007, 11:19 AM
^ That or people are still watching too much of this film. :rolleyes: :D

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/a00/fd7/a00fd7f0-8341-4868-8f74-f284e6d0e522

OmegaNYC
April 5th, 2007, 12:33 PM
^Who put Miss. Liberty's head in the middle of Manhattan? How would one get it from the Liberty Island, to Midtown? Damn, stickup kids. :mad:

Ninjahedge
April 5th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Who would fire their gun at the ground, while running away from an angry mob, while carrying a guy with a briefcase and be smiling while doing it?

:confused:

krulltime
April 5th, 2007, 01:55 PM
and be smiling while doing it?

He is smiling isnt he. :)

Anyway I remember I watched that film when I was a kid back in the 80's, and I did though that New York City was really a horrible crime-riddance place. Well it was but not as bad as they wanted it to be. There was another (not so popular one) called Escape from the Bronx. Now that one was more realistic for back then. ;) Not really, but this movie did suck bigtime actually. After I recently watched it as an adult, I am not sure why I really enjoy it as a kid so much, since I watch it so many times back then. :D My uncle had it in his movie collection. I am not sure if he still have it though.

http://www.mst3ktemple.com/images/escape_bronx2.jpg

Or the first one 1990: The Bronx Warriors - Although I still have to see this one as an adult. It probably sucks aswell.

http://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/9/A70-4525

Ninjahedge
April 5th, 2007, 02:37 PM
What the hell kind of gun is that?

It looks like it can lubricate a tractor or something.

And you notice the attractive chick and token....um....shcwartz as his sidekicks?

Man that looks like a classic "B" movie.

Betcha anything that if you looked close enough, you could probably find references to it in one of Quentins fliks! ;)

krulltime
April 5th, 2007, 03:07 PM
What the hell kind of gun is that?

The movie was made in 1982. So they though that by 1990, that will be the weapon of choice. :D LOL!

OmegaNYC
April 5th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Speaking of Warriors...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/03/TheWarriors_1979_Movie_Poster.jpg

Was NYC really like this back in 1979??

Schadenfrau
April 5th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Thanks to The Warriors, 21st Century residents of New York City no longer need to fear the plague of rollerskating and face-paint wearing gangs. Thanks, Warriors!

In all seriousness, The original Warriors movie was great, but only The Bronx Warriors features the legendary star of Shaft wearing what appears to be a turquoise alligator-skin suit.

Ninjahedge
April 6th, 2007, 08:47 AM
In all seriousness, The original Warriors movie was great, but only The Bronx Warriors features the legendary star of Shaft wearing what appears to be a turquoise alligator-skin suit.

Shut yo mouth!!!!!

Ah, also notice the BRILLIANT placement of the blades on the front steering fork? I wonder what would happen when they hit someone..... :eek:

kellyr78
April 7th, 2007, 08:24 PM
I was invited to go to NYC with friends to clubs. We'd be staying at Columbia U., and I believe we would have to pass through Harlem to get home that night. I imagine the girls that stay there are pretty good with getting around, but my question is, is it safe to travel this late at night through these areas? Thanks in advance!

Schadenfrau
April 7th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Columbia is in Harlem. If you're worried about safety, take a cab home. You'll be fine either way.

clubBR
April 8th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Columbia is in a subsection of Harlem called Morningside Heights. It is gentrified to the point it is more like an extension of the Upper West Side. Safety is not an issue

milleniumcab
April 8th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I used to walk the park sometimes several nights a week, sometimes very late at night, around 3am some nights, around The Reservoir, which is at the northern part of the park, I would start from the east side and make a full circle. I have other friends who have slept in the park over night.

Hey Stern.. Did you know the CP closes at 1:00 am. It is against the law to be in any park in NYC after closing...Shame on you...:rolleyes:

infoshare
April 8th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Hey Stern.. Did you know the CP closes at 1:00 am. It is against the law to be in any park in NYC after closing...Shame on you...:rolleyes:

Hey, there are 'curb-your-dog' and 'no-sleeping-on-public-benchs' laws too: but (as you can see from the photo) these laws are sometimes broken. :eek:

NoyokA
May 6th, 2007, 10:49 PM

That I didn't know. I also didn't know that Central Park was supposendly dangerous at night, its just so serene to walk around the reservoir late at night. Its not something that I recommend, but its just so beautiful and quiet that its something I will continue to indulge in from time to time.

lewd
June 22nd, 2007, 04:45 AM
Hey Guys i am from austria and i will visit new york very soon i dont really know wich areas of new york are so dangerous that i shouldnt go their .
So can u maybe tell me where i can go without gettin beat up?:D
Especially i wanna know where i can go at night maybe in a club or some like that .

clubBR
June 22nd, 2007, 03:21 PM
What kind of question...
NYC is safe. Avoid heavily industrial areas at night and keep your wits about you.

Schadenfrau
June 22nd, 2007, 07:23 PM
Unless you're acting like a jackass, no one is going to "beat you up."

lewd
June 23rd, 2007, 05:46 AM
ok u kinda answerd my question but i knew its safe in generel i mean its a civilized state but i wanted to know where the "bad neighborhoods" are.
I only know new york from tv .

lofter1
June 23rd, 2007, 09:29 AM
Don't get too drunk and don't say anything too stupid and you should be A-OK.

ASchwarz
June 23rd, 2007, 02:18 PM
ok u kinda answerd my question but i knew its safe in generel i mean its a civilized state but i wanted to know where the "bad neighborhoods" are.
I only know new york from tv .

The highest crime neighborhoods are not in Manhattan. Even those neighborhoods are not too bad relative to bad areas in other American cities. Having lived in Central Harlem a few years back (when it was not as nice as today) I would say you will have no problems, especially if you are not traveling alone. The immediate Columbia area is extremely safe at all hours.

While I don't track crime stats, I would imagine Brownsville and East New York in Brooklyn are probably near the top. Some sections of the South and Central Bronx are also likely ranked high but maybe a bit lower than those two Brooklyn neighborhoods. Most of the crime is between people who already know each other. If you aren't involved in illegal activities and aren't having a relationship with someone in such activities, you are highly unlikely to be the victim of street crime.

clubBR
June 23rd, 2007, 03:22 PM
Can't leave out South Jamaica, Pomonok, Queensbridge, and Lefrak City.

dennisonNYC
July 6th, 2007, 03:56 PM
I'm in the Midwest and want to find a temporary room share while I search for a permanent spot in NYC.

There are a ton of roomshare listings on Craigslist for Harlem/Morningside Heights in my price range. Are they all likely to be safe addresses or are there certain streets/sides of the area I should avoid?

Thanks guys.

Schadenfrau
July 6th, 2007, 04:24 PM
If you're concerned, find out which precinct the addresses are located in and check the crime statistics. I don't think you're going to have anyone tell you to avoid entire swaths of a neighborhood, and it's impossible to predict what you would and wouldn't consider "safe."

add1ct
July 12th, 2007, 11:01 PM
i didnt have any trouble in new york safty wise i think as long as u dont go into a day dream walking round brookyln your all good 1 thing i tihnk tho is u have to be really aware some homless dude came up to my mum and scared the hell outa her when we frist got there whilst i was in a shop but after that it was like you just ignore every one else.
I kno some one that had a problem at the airport people come up to u and say be carful of taxi's they drive away with ur lugage so then your like thanks are u a taxi driver and then they do it to u, i didnt see this happen whilst i was at jfk tho

NewYorkDoc
July 13th, 2007, 12:40 AM
How is Bed-Stuy? I've never been the neighborhood, or even past the Target on Atlantic for that matter. Is it safe? I hear its "gentrifying", but I'm also being told that by a realtor who is making a hefty commission.

JollyRanger
July 13th, 2007, 10:41 AM
How is Williamsburg, preferably the area from the Montrose L stop down to Flushing Avenue/Bushwick intersection? Is safety an issue? Can I walk at like 10 pm with a laptop case from Montrose L stop down to Flushing?

Also, how bad is the commute in the morning hours from the Montrose L stop to 14th and 1st? Would I be waiting a long time to get a train at the stop?

THANKS.

add1ct
July 14th, 2007, 07:59 AM
bedstuy was fine when i went there in december i am white and walked through it and no one mugged me or w.e it is people expect to happen.

jollyranger you could walk through at 10 and it be fine i dont know really becuase it depends what kind of person you are people that will start any thing will only do it to people they know are scared and will be an easy target

clubBR
July 16th, 2007, 04:39 AM
How is Williamsburg, preferably the area from the Montrose L stop down to Flushing Avenue/Bushwick intersection? Is safety an issue? Can I walk at like 10 pm with a laptop case from Montrose L stop down to Flushing?

Also, how bad is the commute in the morning hours from the Montrose L stop to 14th and 1st? Would I be waiting a long time to get a train at the stop?

THANKS.
Didnt you ask this on another thread?

sandycoin
August 28th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Hi, I'll be visting NYC next year and a friend wants me to film some of the Queensbridge Housing Projects. I was wondering if this area is safe to walk around in day time with a camcorder? (obviously won't be going at night)

Also if it isn't safe to walk through it, can you walk along the actual bridge to get a high vantage point of it?

Thanks

ASchwarz
August 28th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Hi, I'll be visting NYC next year and a friend wants me to film some of the Queensbridge Housing Projects. I was wondering if this area is safe to walk around in day time with a camcorder? (obviously won't be going at night)

Also if it isn't safe to walk through it, can you walk along the actual bridge to get a high vantage point of it?

Thanks

It's safe. The area around Queensbridge isn't particularly rough.

No worries, at least during the daytime hours.

victorrr
October 19th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Hello. I am sorry if this was already asked, there are too many subjects to really find out.

Is it right if I go through HARLEM during daylight. I`m coming to New York in November and I would really like to see some sights, and this includes Harlem. Any advice?

ASchwarz
October 19th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Hello. I am sorry if this was already asked, there are too many subjects to really find out.

Is it right if I go through HARLEM during daylight. I`m coming to New York in November and I would really like to see some sights, and this includes Harlem. Any advice?

Yes, it is safe in Harlem. Harlem has made massive improvements over the last decade.

It's safe at night too, as long as you exercise the same reasonable caution you should have in any big city environment.

Schadenfrau
October 19th, 2007, 09:05 PM

Why is Harlem in all caps here?

ASchwarz is absolutely correct- zombies don't crawl out of the woodwork at sundown, and if you don't like the looks of a block, don't walk down it.

What are you interested in seeing in Harlem?

victorrr
October 20th, 2007, 07:42 AM
I would like to catch a glimpse of the black comunity that resides there.

Schadenfrau
October 20th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Okay, now I think you're just trolling.

lofter1
October 20th, 2007, 05:51 PM
victorrr: Where are you visiting from?

victorrr
October 21st, 2007, 06:39 AM
victorrr: Where are you visiting from?

I`m coming from Romania, Europe. It`s the first time I`m visiting The States. My dad is going on a bussines trip and he`s also taking me. Looking so much forward to it.

Ontopic: I just want to see The Appollo and I was thinking whether is safe or not to wander through Harlem.

brianac
October 21st, 2007, 08:16 AM
I think you will be OK. Get the subway up to 125th St. It depends where you are staying to be more specific about which subway line.

If you are too nervous, take a tour. This is one of many to choose from.

http://www.nyc.com/guided_tours/Harlem_on_Wednesday_with_Gospel_Music.76233/editorial.aspx

Ninjahedge
October 24th, 2007, 02:15 PM
The Apollo theater is nice, and the area is slowly getting $$.

I did not like the street behind the theater though (126th?). It seemed rather deserted. A few buildings, a school, and garbage uncollected on the street. But the avenue (7th?) was pretty nice and brightly lit.

I would not be too scared about it though. Just try not to wander around neighborhoods that you are too unfamiliar with looking like some nervous foreigner. You might as well paint a "mug me" sign on your back. But this is something that goes for many areas, and you should not be scared to have a look around.

This is not Gotham. You don't need Batman to be safe at night here! ;)

ASchwarz
October 24th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I would like to catch a glimpse of the black comunity that resides there.

Just FYI, Harlem is not the major black neighborhood in NYC these days. Northern Brooklyn has (by far) the largest concentration of blacks. This is true for both African Americans and West Indians. "Black" Harlem is relatively small (Central Harlem only) and is now mixed to some extent with whites and Latinos.

If you want a feeling for this portion of Central Harlem, I would reccomend 116th Street (which has a West African population), 125th Street (the touristy main drag), and the beautiful blocks in the Mount Morris Historic District (south of 125th St. and west of 5th Ave.). Strivers Row, on West 137th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues, is probably the nicest part of Central Harlem.

There are no real obvious streets to avoid, though I would stick to more well-traveled streets late at night.

The City College area (not Central Harlem, but Hamilton Heights/Sugar Hill area) is nearby and has some of New York's most beautiful residential blocks.

victorrr
October 26th, 2007, 07:12 PM
ok. cool. thanks to all who replied to my question. I hope I wont and I`ll try NOT to look like a nervous tourist. Although I`ve been waitin to see New York all my life. :D

Schadenfrau
October 27th, 2007, 12:06 AM
If you've been waiting all of your life, you should be excited, not nervous.

elaine
November 6th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Why are so many people busting their chops and worrying about their safety while in New York? For God's sake if there so scared then why do they want to visit? From what I have read here and other forums New York is just like any other city. . . I come from Liverpool so although I no longer live in the city I automatically put on my city head when visiting. I think if you have come from a city then you have an inbuilt antenna that alerts you to danger.
If you come to any big city for a break you should not assume that just because your on holiday nothing will happen. It's not the same as going on a beach hol. Use your head!:cool:

NoyokA
November 6th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I don't know where else to post this. Taken in Washington Heights. A safety tip for drivers out there, get lugnut locks for your rims.

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/7537/ghettosf0.jpg

lofter1
November 6th, 2007, 11:15 PM
It was good of the guys to put it up on a block, if nothing else :cool:

NewYorkDoc
November 6th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Queens drivers also beware...

Sunnyside Gentrification Still Hitting Bumps

Monday, November 5, 2007, by Joey
http://curbed.com/uploads/2007_11_sunnyside.jpg

Way back when, a huge line (http://www.curbed.com/archives/2006/04/28/friday_flotsam_sunny_side_up.php) of prospective buyers at the Queens Plaza development on 27th Street garnered some, um, strong reaction (http://www.curbed.com/archives/2006/06/23/queens_plaza_update_the_view_from_the_balcony.php) . Today, a Curbed reader submits the above photo and a new message for Queens Plaza peeps:
I noticed a recent post (http://curbed.com/archives/2007/10/18/boerum_hill_gentrification_still_hitting_bumps.php ) on theft of car wheels in Boerum Hill. Just wanted to let you know that the same shit is going down in Sunnyside, Queens -- which is apparently an unfriendly neighborhood for owners of late-model Japanese hatchbacks.

An unfortunate brand-spanking-new Honda Fit (see attached photo) is minus four wheels this afternoon, thanks to wheel thieves who struck last night while the streetlight overhead was out. The same thing happened to a friend's Toyota Matrix -- parked on the same block -- last winter (though those thieves made off with only 1 of 4 wheels). Prospective owners of the new luxury condos atop one of Queens Plaza's strip joints might want to consider investing in wheel locks.

NoyokA
November 6th, 2007, 11:34 PM
It was good of the guys to put it up on a block, if nothing else :cool:

Cars are put on blocks not out of courtesy for the owner but to ease the stealing of rims. It’s a ghetto way to jack a car up, the first rim is removed, blocks are placed underneath, then the next, then blocks, this way the car is level and raised throughout the process facilitating a smooth stealing experience.

lofter1
November 6th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Yep ^ knew that. I wasn't born yesterday :cool: .

I guess I should have used the "roll eyes" sarcastic emoticon :rolleyes:

718Bound
November 10th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I know this "Safety in New York" so I hope this fits here considering I am asking a question about NJ... If not maybe a mod can move it for me.

Anyway just wondering if anybody knows if this area is ok: Ridge St & Park Ave North Newark, NJ

The land lord says it is ok... but I don't expect a landlord to tell me "this is terrible neighborhood... I hope you live long enough to pay the rent."j/k:D

dennisonNYC
December 22nd, 2007, 11:48 AM
Hello everybody,

At the risk of hearing "you're paranoid" I need to ask...

Is anyone familiar with 5th Avenue and Central Park North? I'm seriously considering a sublease there and I know it's within walking distance to the Martin Luther King Jr. Towers. I won't be able to check out the area for about a month so I wanted a head's up. I'm confident during the day but a little less so at night, as I will almost always be coming off the subway alone.

I appreciate all replies. Thanks for your help and Happy Holidays!
-dennisonNYC

Celtic_1888
January 28th, 2008, 05:53 PM
hi new yorkers! i'll be coming to your city in july and i love to walk,is it safe to walk to places such as brooklyn,harlem,queens etc during the day i'm a big walker and have walked everywhere in various cities i've been to around the world and would love to do it all over NYC,cheers.

norina
February 10th, 2008, 05:00 PM
New York is very safe, especially if you take care to not act like a victim and to pay heed to what you are doing. The victim mentality can be dangerous even if you live in Mayberry. Enjoy your time with us!

Moderator Note:

Ask questions here about safety concerns when visiting New York City.

-Stern

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Hello,

I am going to NYC soon and I am going to do some walking.
How safe is to walk around outer side of Central park, especially on the East side?
I am going to park somewhere close to W 59th st (i found a cheaper spot)and Central park and then walk North to the Museum of natural History, the walk thru the park to the Metropolitan Museum and then come down South on the east side of the park back to 59th st. i am palning on coming back from the metropolitan museum after 8-8:30 PM. Would it be safe?

Thanks

brianac
February 11th, 2008, 07:54 AM
hi new yorkers! i'll be coming to your city in july and i love to walk,is it safe to walk to places such as brooklyn,harlem,queens etc during the day i'm a big walker and have walked everywhere in various cities i've been to around the world and would love to do it all over NYC,cheers.

June last year, the first full day of my holiday. I walked and rode everywhere alone aged 70. Hope this answers your question.

Brianac’s Holiday.

DAY TWO

Friday 15 June 2007

Following the “Long Sleep”. I woke up at about 04.00, dozed a while and got up at 05.00 made a cup of coffee. I was staying at the Hotel Beacon at Broadway and W 75th Street.

My first job was to get a 7 day unlimited ride Metro Card so I went out at about 06.00 and walked down to the 72nd Street subway in Verdi Square. I bought a ($24.00) Metro Card this was to prove an excellent investment.

One Upper West Side place I had failed to see when I was here in 2005 was the 91st St. community garden which was used in the final scene of the Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan film “You’ve Got Mail”.

I caught the uptown No. 1 train to 96th St. and walked down to Riverside Park and the 91st. St. Garden. There were notices asking for gardening volunteers for tomorrow, Saturday 16th. June. (I think I will be too tired).

I walked south in Riverside Park as far as 72nd. St. then back to the hotel at about 08.00 for something to eat and to get ready for the day ahead.

I left the hotel again at about 09.30 and walked down to Verdi Square and caught the uptown No. 1 train to 125th. St in Harlem.

The weather was warm and hazy.

I walked east on 125th. St. as far as 5th. Avenue and then turned to walk westward to photograph the Apollo etc.

I paused for a chat with one of the street vendors who was selling, (I don’t know what). There were little card boxes, and small bottles of oil, I should have asked him but he may have thought I wanted to buy.

I carried on westward and found the entrance for the A train.

I took the uptown A train to Dyckman Street (about 200th. St.) and left the train near the beginning of Riverside Drive at its junction with Broadway and walked south along Riverside Drive looking for an entrance into Fort Tryon Park.

I found a gap in the wall and set off up the hill using a mixture of footpaths, steps, and narrow roadways until I found myself near the bus stop at the entrance to The Cloisters. (Next time I think I would take the bus).

I went to the entrance to the Cloisters and stood behind lines of schoolchildren so I decided I was running late and did not go into the museum. I walked back down the hill on its eastern side and came out on Broadway.

I made my way back to Dyckman St. subway and caught the downtown A train as far as 181st St. Washington Heights and walked westward on 181st. St. and down the hill to Plaza Lafayette and Riverside Drive so that I could get as close as possible under the George Washington bridge.

After taking some photographs I headed back up the hill and eastward along 181ST. St. and stopped to ask a couple of negro women for directions to the downtown No. 1 train station. Surprisingly they answered me in Spanish. Puerto Ricans I guess.

I found the station at Saint Nicholas Avenue and caught the downtown No. I train as far as 125th. St. and walked west along 125th. St., into Saint Clair Place, past the Cotton Club and as far as 12th Avenue and Riverside Drive.

I turned southward and up the hill on Riverside drive to take a look at Riverside Church and Grants Tomb, then east on 119th St. and south on Claremont Avenue as far as 116th. St then across Broadway to enter Columbia University.

A good look around the campus, and took some photographs, had a look at Alfred Lerner Hall. The late Alfred Lerner was the father of Randy Lerner who happens to be the owner of Aston Villa, my favourite soccer team at home.

I came out of Columbia on 114th St. behind the Butler Library and turned left and on to Amsterdam Avenue to have a look round The Cathedral Church of St John the Divine.

I had to back track to Toms Restaurant at 112th and Broadway just to get a photograph.

I was feeling tired by now and my feet were aching so I headed for the subway at Cathedral Parkway and took the downtown No. 1 train to 79th St. and walked south on Broadway. I was taking a photograph of the First Baptist Church when a guy stopped me and asked if I wanted my photograph taken outside the church. He told me he had lived in the nearby Apthorp building for 45 years, and that he had a daughter who lived in England. We chatted for about 20 minutes, said goodbye and I headed back to my hotel.

It was about 14.00 when I got back to the Beacon to freshen up and have a quick bite to eat.

The weather was now hot and clear.

I left the hotel again at about 14.30 and walked down to Verdi Square where I caught the downtown No. 2 train to Chambers Street, changed to the No. 1 train and on to South Ferry.

I was lucky because there was a ferry due almost immediately, so I boarded for my first trip on the Staten Island Ferry.

I least I was giving my feet a bit of a rest. Got off at Staten Island and had time to take a couple of photographs before getting hurrying back on the ferry for the return trip.

I was using my Olympus C220z camera and I was worried because it uses Smart Media cards and I was already on my second and last 64mb card.

After leaving the ferry I walked around Battery Park then headed up Bowling Green as far as Trinity Church and then down Wall Street.

I saw a guy standing on the corner who appeared to be lost so I asked if I could help. It turned out that he was from Sutton Coldfield, quite near my home town in England. He was taking a break from a holiday in Florida to spend a few days in NYC, and was now trying to get back to his hotel in Gold Street.

I sorted out directions for him and he headed for Gold Street and I headed in the opposite direction for Hanover Square to check out the Memorial to the British who died in the 9/11 atrocities. The work still appeared to be in progress. I walked along Beaver Street to Broad Street turned right and carried on up Nassau Street then turned left on Liberty Street.

I stopped to check on the progress of the demolition at 130 Liberty Street and the Firehouse next door, then carried on and crossed over West Street into the World Financial Centre, through the Winter Garden and out on to the North Cove Marina.

I came out of the Marina by North End Avenue and turned right on to Vesey Street and on to City Hall Park. I stopped to chat to a guy from Brooklyn who was telling me a bit about the history of the Woolworth Building.

There was a free concert going on in the park, something organised by J & R, so I stopped for a quick look then crossed the road into J & R where I bought a new camera. I wanted another compact camera so I opted for the Canon A570IS. They threw in a bag and a 1Gb SD card so I was quite happy.

From J & R I walked up to Chambers Street where the second 64mb card in my Olympus camera finally gave out so I headed west on Chambers Street to the subway at West Broadway.

I took the uptown No. 2 train as far as 72nd St. then back to the hotel at about 20.00. Freshen up, something to eat, a couple of bottles of Beck’s and I was ready for sleep again.

The Benniest
April 17th, 2008, 11:46 AM
For Aging Pedestrians, a Survey of Street Dangers
By JENNIFER BLEYER
Published: April 13, 2008

FOR Rita Asen, a retired social worker who broke her hip two years ago and walks gingerly with a cane, crossing West End Avenue is not quite as challenging as braving the rapids of the Colorado River. On the other hand, the Colorado River doesn’t have careening cars and deliverymen rushing about on bikes.

“You have to be very careful,” said Mrs. Asen, who has lived for more than three decades in Lincoln-Amsterdam House on West End Avenue near 65th Street. “You just don’t know when the light is going to change and you can be stranded in the street.”

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/04/13/nyregion/seni650.jpg
MichaelFalco for The New York Times
West 72nd Street and Broadway is one troublesome intersection for the elderly on foot.

Mrs. Asen is one of more than 200 elderly residents of the Upper West Side who took part in a yearlong study about pedestrian safety in their neighborhood, where 13 percent of the population is over 65. Armed with maps and disposable cameras, a small armada of those men and women were dispatched to document specific dangers on their streets.

The study, which covered about 200 blocks from 45th Street to 97th Street, was conducted by the advocacy group Transportation Alternatives and Assemblywoman Linda Rosenthal, whose district covers the survey area. A 25-page report was released in November, and this year the city announced a project to make walking safer for the elderly.

The project will be conducted in 25 neighborhoods, including the Upper West Side, over the next two years. A spokesman for the Transportation Department, Ted Timbers, said the city would consider incorporating measures recommended in the study, which include extending the crossing times at crosswalks, adding traffic medians and extending curbs.

In calling for changes, Ms. Rosenthal noted that older people, if they are afraid to venture outside, run a greater risk of becoming isolated, malnourished and depressed.

“For seniors who feel trapped in their apartments because they’re afraid of cars and buses, the picture has to change,” she said.

Another resident who helped conduct the study was Gloria Verdell, a retired office manager, who walked along West End Avenue on a recent afternoon and pointed out various hazards she had recorded.

One was on the corner of West End Avenue and 64th Street, where a pool of murky water collects after a downpour.

The worst, she said, was at the intersection of West End Avenue and 65th Street near her building, where the lights were timed in a way that had people feeling they had just seconds to cross the street.

“Before, I could run across the street,” Ms. Verdell said. “At this point, I’m not running anywhere. I don’t want to slow-poke. I just want to get across the street without being afraid.”

Copyright 2008 New York Times

fakeLondoner
April 19th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Hiya,
Sorry to bump up an old thread.

My boyfriend and I are going to NYC end of april/early may. This is our 3rd time to nyc though my last visit was some 8 years ago. Anyway we left it a bit late booking an accommodation and the only place we managed to find is this guest house on no. 800+ Saint Nicholas avenue, near 155th st C train. I have read all the previous post that safety is not an issue in the area between 125th and 135th.

I shouldn't be worried as also being living in a big city like London, we get an average of 73,000 assaults a month. But thanks to my flatmate, a Greek, keeps telling me, No..Harlem is no Kensal Rise; don't go near!

The guest house is new and no one has written a review about it as yet. I thought I'd check here to see if anyone knows the area.

Much appreciated!!

The Benniest
April 19th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I'm a bit confused as to what you're asking. Are you asking if the area around your guest house is safe, or if Harlem is safe? Or both? Maybe I'm missing something..

fakeLondoner
April 19th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I'm a bit confused as to what you're asking. Are you asking if the area around your guest house is safe, or if Harlem is safe? Or both? Maybe I'm missing something..

Thanks for your prompt reply. I am only concerned the area around the guest house. Don't think we'd sightsee Harlem. :D

brianac
April 19th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Seeing the sights around 125th street in Harlem is fine.
I have walked it alone during the daytime.

Regarding the area around your guest house you really need a New Yorker who knows the area, to advise you.

I have walked in the area in Washington Heights at 181st street and Saint Nicholas Avenue, during the day with no problems at all.

Your guest house is situated between the two areas.

I'm sure someone ( a New Yorker) will answer you soon, when they all get in from sun bathing.

Schadenfrau
April 21st, 2008, 11:02 AM
You will be fine- and there's absolutely no reason to avoid walking around Harlem.

MrSpice
April 21st, 2008, 10:55 PM
Hiya,
Sorry to bump up an old thread.

My boyfriend and I are going to NYC end of april/early may. This is our 3rd time to nyc though my last visit was some 8 years ago. Anyway we left it a bit late booking an accommodation and the only place we managed to find is this guest house on no. 800+ Saint Nicholas avenue, near 155th st C train. I have read all the previous post that safety is not an issue in the area between 125th and 135th.

I shouldn't be worried as also being living in a big city like London, we get an average of 73,000 assaults a month. But thanks to my flatmate, a Greek, keeps telling me, No..Harlem is no Kensal Rise; don't go near!

The guest house is new and no one has written a review about it as yet. I thought I'd check here to see if anyone knows the area.

Much appreciated!!

Harlem is much safer than it was in the past. However, the part of Harlem where you are staying is still a pretty poor and relatively unsafe area with many public housing complexes. That means that you should be OK during the day time. But I would advice taking the taxi up to your residence and not walk around in the area after dark. I would also advice against taking a subway late in the evening in that area. If you do, board the car with the conductor.

ASchwarz
April 22nd, 2008, 12:33 AM
St. Nick/155th is pretty safe at all hours. You will be fine.

St. Nick has foot traffic even late at night.

dawgette
April 26th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Sooo... I'm thinking about renting a place on west 110th ave--cathedral parkway between columbus and manhattan ave. I am probably going to be working at night (arrive home around 12 pm)... Should I take the bus rather than taking the subway at 110th if I get home late? I'll be working at union square and yeah... any suggestions? is anyone familiar with this area at night?

Schadenfrau
April 28th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Yes, and it's fine. I'm not sure why you'd think a bus is safer than a subway, but it's not- it's just more slow.

fakeLondoner
April 28th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks all for the reply. I am sure we'll be fine. :)
Look forward to the balmy spring days in new york.

Zawada
July 17th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum. Me and my girlfriend will be travelling to New York at the end of August for 2 weeks. We have been looking into hostels to book a 2 week stay. The best place that keeps coming up is Harlem YMCA. Its cheap and has a private room, which is what we want. Does anyone have any thing to say on the YMCA? Is it a safe neighborhood? How is the actual YMCA? A general safe place to stay?
Thanks alot!

stache
July 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM
What are the cross streets?

Zawada
July 17th, 2008, 02:41 PM
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=harlem+ymca&sll=40.758245,-73.971291&sspn=0.028801,0.079823&ie=UTF8&z=14&ll=40.807508,-73.942623&spn=0.02878,0.079823&om=1

180 W. 135th Street
New York, NY 10030

Is this even the best place to be staying in New York? We basically want to do all the touristy things, we will be there for 2 weeks. Obviously we can get to central park quite easily from anywhere. We are just looking for somewhere safe, cheap, and relatively easy to get to places and back to the hostel/hotel when its time to sleep.

Caspar
July 17th, 2008, 06:52 PM
In the 1980s, crime rates spiked and in the early 1990s as the crack epidemic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_epidemic) hit the city, but by the mid 1990s and early 21st century crime rates had greatly subsided and since the year 2005 the city had the lowest crime rate of the 25 largest U.S cities. By 2002 New York City had about the same crime rate as Provo, Utah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provo%2C_Utah) and was ranked 197th in overall crime among the 216 U.S. cities with populations greater than 100,000. Violent crime in New York City decreased more than 75% from 1993 to 2005 and continued decreasing during periods when the nation as a whole saw increases. In 2005 the homicide rate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_homicide_rate) was at its lowest level since 1963. In 2007 New York City recorded fewer than 500 homicides (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homicide) for the first time ever since crime statistics were first published in 1963. Sociologists and criminologists have not reached consensus on what explains the dramatic decrease in the city's crime rate. Some attribute the phenomenon to new tactics used by the New York City Police Department (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Police_Department), including its use of CompStat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompStat) and the broken windows theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixing_Broken_Windows). Others cite the end of the crack epidemic and demographic changes.

:)

NYC4Life
July 17th, 2008, 09:27 PM
NYC is currently at 272 murders so far for 2008 as of July 16.

Ninjahedge
July 18th, 2008, 11:14 AM

YIPEE!!!!!

oh, wait.....

The one thing to always keep in mind with those stats is to see how many of those deaths were from peopel who did not know each other.

You will see the number decrease dramatically when you do that.

pfierro
July 18th, 2008, 11:07 PM

Really?

Jesus. I was under the impression that NYC was quite safe.

stache
July 18th, 2008, 11:28 PM
That's a little more than one a day.

philvia
July 19th, 2008, 02:12 AM
quick murder/population ratio

Tampa (2006 population, 2007 murder count)
1:12,561

NYC (2005 population, 2007 murder count)
1:16,286

:p

KenNYC
July 19th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Looking at statistical numbers without taking per capita into consideration is dangerous :) Also, there's an important point in looking at how many people are murdered by someone unknown / random... A good few number of these murders (a large majority I expect) could be related to some form of revenge, conflicts, drug deals gone bad and things like that and won't affect most normal people. I have to say, I don't really feel worried about getting killed... getting mugged might be a more reasonable worry? :)

NYatKNIGHT
July 21st, 2008, 12:00 PM
Not really. You have a better chance of getting into a car accident than getting mugged here. Do you get worried every time you get in your car?

KenNYC
July 22nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Well, the good thing about being in a traffic accident in New York is that it never moves fast enough to hurt you...

kitty123
August 20th, 2008, 05:30 PM
The safety in New York its a very discuss issue around the world because no were in the world exist safety i mean perfect safety because we are facing a crisis in the world and its being view even in New York city.

kitty

(http://www.drugtreatments.com/oregon)

Bronxbombers
December 28th, 2008, 02:50 PM
The safety in New York its a very discuss issue around the world because no were in the world exist safety i mean perfect safety because we are facing a crisis in the world and its being view even in New York city.

kitty

(http://www.drugtreatments.com/oregon)I will be visiting in New York City during late July 2009. I am from Los Angeles,CA. I won't go to Central Park at night and I am white. I have read all of the posts about safety in New York City. And thanks very very much for all 135 posts about safety in New York City.

scumonkey
December 28th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I will be visiting in New York City during late July 2009. I am from Los Angeles,CA. I won't go to Central Park at night and I am white. I have read all of the posts about safety in New York City. And thanks very very much for all 135 posts about safety in New York City.
i will only stay in central park till 1:00 am, then the cops kick me out....
and i'm white:rolleyes:

stache
December 28th, 2008, 07:45 PM
My dog is white and he gets kicked out of the park too. :(

Zephyr
December 29th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I will be visiting in New York City ... I am from Los Angeles,CA. I won't go to Central Park at night and I am white. ...

i will only stay in central park till 1:00 am, then the cops kick me out....
and i'm white:rolleyes:

My dog is white and he gets kicked out of the park too. :(

Oh I get it now, the colour game is white ... or am I missin' somethin'. :)

stache
December 29th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Is there a white font? ;)

Ninjahedge
December 29th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Is there a white font? ;)
Yes.

scumonkey
December 29th, 2008, 10:29 AM
stache, you forgot to use quotes, ;)
or did you use them with the white font?!

stache
December 29th, 2008, 11:39 PM
My dog needs quotes? He had his shots... ;)

Gregory Tenenbaum
June 2nd, 2009, 04:50 AM
Oh I get it now, the colour game is white ... or am I missin' somethin'. :)

New World White Folks,

Killin' Master Race Thinkin' Nazis and Putting Men on the Moon

Since 1914.

Bronxbombers
June 4th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I will be in New York City for 1 day this summer. I will follow all the safety rules in New York City.

KenNYC
June 9th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Just out of curiosity what are the safety rules for staying in New York for 1 day?

Other than being white of course....

Bronxbombers
June 9th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I don't know what the safety rules for 1 day in New York City. Does anyone know the safety rules for one day in New York City?

lofter1
June 9th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Keep your eyes open and enjoy yourself. Nothing really to worry about.

Unless it's a thundering downpour at 3AM like we got last night (which today has turned all the paths in Central Park -- even the ones made of asphalt -- into muddy ribbons of twigs & stones & slop).

Bronxbombers
June 9th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I will keep my eyes open. I will enjoy myself too. And I will buy a Yankees Universe T-Shirt at the Yankees Team Store at New Yankee Stadium.

KenNYC
June 11th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I was sort of being a smart ass I guess... I go stumbling through the streets of Manhattan at 4am in the morning, less than fully aware of my surroundings at least a couple of times a week, and never experienced anything that has made me feel worried at all.

Gregory Tenenbaum
June 11th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Check the crime map and blotter here, and related stories. (http://sleepny.lefora.com/2009/03/24/new-york-crime-watch/)

Crime is down.

Cinnamon Honey Bun
May 9th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Hi to everybody,
I am new here, but I have a very important question.
Coud you tell be anything about situation in Bedford-Stuyvesant, East New York, Ocean Hill, Bushwick?Is it still bad gang areas?
I used to live temporarily in St Island in a nice area, but my bestfriend moved to Halsey Av (J) and I was planning to live with her, but I didn't know it was in a such area...
She is Spanish, I am European. I am not racist at all, I have friends of all colours,but I want to feel safe.
I hope you could help me...
What is more safe...St Island (close to Saint George) or Halsey Av, Brooklyn.
Thanks

BankerToBe
November 15th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Even on the affluent Upper East Side! You might get mugged by one of those old rich guys!

It looks like there is a 1 am curfew in Central Park. At least according to this video. (http://bit.ly/richardquestcentralpark)Can't say I had heard of it before myself.

Besides, some of you here probably love hanging around the park at 3 am. Just like this guy did.
(http://bit.ly/richardquestcentralpark)

BankerToBe
November 15th, 2010, 04:28 PM

Sorry Ablarc but this is the quote I meant to post. So Noyoka, you can walk CP at 3 am?

Ever run into this guy? (http://bit.ly/richardquestcentralpark)

lofter1
November 15th, 2010, 06:11 PM
CP closes at 1AM. If you're in there at 3AM you stand chance of interacting with NYPD.

Botinok
February 17th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Hi there,

Please, tell me something about Queens, espesially Ditmars Blvd Asroria.
I am going to rent a room there.
Thanx! )

Neets
November 21st, 2011, 07:10 PM
This place is so funny!!!! I appreciate that the poster was asking a serious question but the responses are classic!!!! :)