PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Help Required!!!

norfener
April 11th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Good Evening,

I hope someone on here can help us. My girlfriend and I are to be married in New York on Sunday 2nd December 2007. The flights are booked (we live in the UK), as is the hotel and the officiant, but we are struggling to find a suitable venue.

This will be the second time around for both of us, we are in our mid thirties/early forties with a young outlook and we really want an intimate affair (there could be just the two of us, perhaps with two to four guests at the most). As we will be staying in Manhattan, ideally we would wish to be married there.

We are looking for something suited to the size of our party without being “schmaltzy” (if you know what we mean) or main-stream tourist. We understand that, given the time of year we will be in NY, an indoor venue may be necessary.

It is the venue we need. Catering isn’t essential as we can book the restaurant of our choice for immediately afterwards.

We look forward to your views.

If anyone wishes to contact us directly, please do so to avec09@dsl.pipex.com

Paul and Andrea

kliq6
April 11th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Good Evening,

I hope someone on here can help us. My girlfriend and I are to be married in New York on Sunday 2nd December 2007. The flights are booked (we live in the UK), as is the hotel and the officiant, but we are struggling to find a suitable venue.

This will be the second time around for both of us, we are in our mid thirties/early forties with a young outlook and we really want an intimate affair (there could be just the two of us, perhaps with two to four guests at the most). As we will be staying in Manhattan, ideally we would wish to be married there.

We are looking for something suited to the size of our party without being “schmaltzy” (if you know what we mean) or main-stream tourist. We understand that, given the time of year we will be in NY, an indoor venue may be necessary.

It is the venue we need. Catering isn’t essential as we can book the restaurant of our choice for immediately afterwards.

We look forward to your views.

If anyone wishes to contact us directly, please do so to avec09@dsl.pipex.com

Paul and Andrea

Does any Brits stay in the homeland for anything anymore. You guys shop here, marry here and move here. No wonder that England is turning into a Muslim country

norfener
April 11th, 2007, 04:09 PM
We'll cancel if it's going to upset folk!!

Schadenfrau
April 11th, 2007, 04:37 PM
What about one of the smaller rooms at the Yale Club?

http://www.yaleclubnyc.org/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=224470&ssid=71851&vnf=1

lofter1
April 11th, 2007, 04:57 PM
What a party pooper, kliq6 ...

Front_Porch
April 11th, 2007, 05:24 PM
It is really tough to do an "inexpensive" -- i.e., intimate wedding for four-figures, not five -- wedding in New York.

Most venues will want to clear a minimum $$$ number, and if they don't hit it through catering, you may find yourself facing a $3K tablecloth charge (this happened to me when I was wedding shopping, no joke).

I would think your best bet would be to rent a really spectacular hotel suite, if you feel that would be romantic enough -- or maybe get a jazz club to open an hour early for you??

good luck!

ali r.

Ninjahedge
April 12th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Try www.liweddings.com (http://www.liweddings.com)

They have a LOT of people that may be able to help you better than we can here! (It is where my wife shopped around and got advice for ours).

Congrats and GL!

MikeKruger
April 12th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I know from my fiancee that the knot (www.theknot.com (http://www.theknot.com)) has an active NY board where you can ask questions...well rather, your gf should ask because the site belongs to brides. :)
They should be able to help her, but I think good venues in Manhattan are booked way in advance. Of course, if you only have 4 guests many places would do :)

FrankHegly
April 12th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Here are a few suggestions:

Central Park
Although it might will be cold- i think if there were snow it would make it look nice. When I went in December the weather was lovely!

Top of the Rockafeller Centre
Would be an amazing view!

Would have some indoor options too.

There is also a garden above 620 5th Avenue
http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/ODTStatic/site.htm

I would just ask yourselfs what is the draw about New York. For example if you think Statue of Liberty do it there!

BrooklynRider
April 12th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Wow! This is actually a difficult question to answer, in part, because it is two to six people. Are you looking for a religious setting (i.e., church or synagogue) or just a lovely backdrop to a blessing ceremony.

Punzie
April 12th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Our city is yours to enjoy. Come as often as you like!

We are honored that you want to get married here. And don't forget us when you wish to renew your marriage vows.:cool:

If you have a party of 2-6, you can do what most people can't: get married in a horse-drawn carriage. In December your carriage will be traveling around the Christmas wonderland that Manhattan becomes every year.

Central Park Carriages, Inc. rents many different styles, some enclosed, for all occasions. Be sure to reserve as far in advance as possible:

http://www.centralparkcarriages.com/

Best wishes, wherever you decide to exchange your vows.:)

BrooklynRider
April 13th, 2007, 08:41 PM
A really lovely religious spot is the Mother Seton Shrine Church on State Street.

FrankHegly
April 16th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Brooklyn Bridge at sunset.....followed by a nice meal in the River Cafe.

Schadenfrau
April 16th, 2007, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't plan anything outdoors in December.

norfener
April 16th, 2007, 09:55 PM
We are still working on this one....it's proving a lot more difficult than we first imagined!

BrooklynRider
April 16th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I can think of plenty of places to have a lovely marriage ceremony outdoors. I think the thing throwing me on the indoor place is the fact that is basically you and your bride. I'm unsure of a place that says "New York" yet is initimate for nuptials without guests.

FrankHegly
April 17th, 2007, 07:00 AM
I wouldn't plan anything outdoors in December.

A little pessimistic!! There is nothing wrong with the outdoors as long as you are ready for the elements.

If it is cold
If it is wet
If there is snow etc.

Just find somewhere that can offer a little cover if needed. Central Park is bound to have a few places that offer some shelter from the elements.

Why not give some more specifics. How much do you want to spend, is it traditional, what are you intending on wearing etc?

This might help for ppl to suggest things more relevant to you. Also if there are any no go's such as Hights, Water or anything else which one of you might be scared of.

FrankHegly
April 17th, 2007, 07:03 AM
I can think of plenty of places to have a lovely marriage ceremony outdoors. I think the thing throwing me on the indoor place is the fact that is basically you and your bride. I'm unsure of a place that says "New York" yet is initimate for nuptials without guests.

Empire State Building Observetory.... though they only do weddings now on Feb 14th.

Either way somewhere with a view would say New York. There has to be loads of places.

You could always have it in the wax works in times square.. interesting pictures :)

Schadenfrau
April 17th, 2007, 09:10 AM
FrankHegly, keep in mind that you can't just walk in wherever you please and get married. Remember your own plan to throw a boat down in the lake?

Central Park doesn't offer wedding permits anywhere with coverage from the elements.

FrankHegly
April 17th, 2007, 09:28 AM
FrankHegly, keep in mind that you can't just walk in wherever you please and get married. Remember your own plan to throw a boat down in the lake?

Central Park doesn't offer wedding permits anywhere with coverage from the elements.

I still wish I had done the dingy... :( though i think my fiancé thought the ice rink was perfect.

Anyway you can use the Lady's Pavillion which is undercover. Granted if there is a blizzard or uber rain then you will not be completley protected. But it will offer some cover from light rain and light snow.

I saw here that they mention the pavillion as an option:
http://www.virginholidays.co.uk/brochures/weddings/extras/usa_and_canada/new_york/central_park_weddings/

Also I saw this, not sure if it is out of date but if it isn't then this would apply as there will be less than 20 people. It basically says no park permit is required for less than 20 people, you can just assemble. You do need one for photo's though.

http://www.weddingsofnewyork.com/weddings-locations.html