PDA

View Full Version : NYC on 75K Salary?

ElMagnifico
April 26th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I get the feeling some of you are rolling on the floor right now in laughter after reading my title.

Well I hope you choke ..cause it's for real! :)

Here's the thing. I'm an ex-NY'er who was practically kidnapped by his parents and forcibly taken away to live in a desolate desert shittehole by the name of Orange County, Southern CA.
Yes indeed, the infamous OC where some of the more exciting outdoor activities include lizard racing, mowing the lawn and sitting in ones car on the way to ..well, to anywhere because no-one walks here anyway. This place feels like Arkansas man. It's the American Outter Mongolia. The people are pretty mongoloid too.

Anyway, I'm now at an age where I can dump the two bastards and break-out on my own, so guess where I wanna go?. NY f@cking CITY is right! I miss it sooooo much.

I've had a job offer from Hudson County which is based in JC (yikes!) that pays 75K and I was wondering if maybe, perhaps, someway, I could swing living in Tribeca or some other easily commutable area downtown. I'm probably just dreamin' and some of you wanna bit@h-slap me into awakeness already, huh?.

Well eat me cause if I can't swing it then I'm gonna do something REALLY drastic ..like move to Hoboken.

Seriously tho, what are my chances of making it?. If downtown is out, are Hoboken or JC really an option to even consider living in? Because I mean that way I can at least still get a freakin' glimpse of my beloved NYC, right?.
(sob) The job itself is based near Journal Square and I'd like to stay close by, both because of it's proximity to NYC and the fact that I've never even been to Jersey and quite frankly as a kid I had this idea that it was a crapper.

Give it to me straight, please. :rolleyes:

Schadenfrau
April 26th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Live in Jersey City and you'll be doing just fine with that salary. You could swing the outer boroughs if you don't mind the commute.

Schadenfrau
April 27th, 2007, 12:00 AM
P.S. Don't worry about the Jersey drivers, because you won't be one of them.

NoyokA
April 27th, 2007, 03:02 AM
I suggest that you live in New Jersey, where your job will be, maybe find a place by the PATH, you'll be able to afford it and its not too difficult to commute to the city. Its a start, and once there you can look for a job in the city.

Ninjahedge
April 27th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Hobokenite here.

Find out how close you would be working to the Path train. If teh job is close by, you can live in JC or Hoboken easily, and get into the city 24/7 quicker than you can from the outer boroughs.

You will have to do some hunting for a good spot in JC though. there are some great spots and some crappy ones, and the prices are all over.

Hoboken has rent regulations that the realtor will not tell you, so if you look for a place there, try for one that was built before 1970. Aim for something that you can still afford, but then call up Carol McLaughlin at city hall and be really nice! She is the head honcho for the rent board and can get your place checked. You can probably get a 700sf place for under $1000 a month (although I have never seen on advertised for that.)

Glad to hear you are moving out of SUburban CA. There are so many better places to be in CA than where you are now, but I don't think you will be dissapointed with JC or Hoboken either....

OmegaNYC
April 27th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Watch the Jersey bashing, El. There are plenty of Jersey members on this site. ;) Anyway, Jersey has some great places such as Hoboken and JC. I think you'll like Hoboken because of a lot of Manhattan transplants that now live there.

ElMagnifico
April 27th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Watch the Jersey bashing, El. There are plenty of Jersey members on this site. ;) Anyway, Jersey has some great places such as Hoboken and JC. I think you'll like Hoboken because of a lot of Manhattan transplants that now live there.

Sorry, I was just trying to be funny by repeating the stereotype most NY'ers have of Jersey. Obviously I don't feel that way nor believe it otherwise I wouldn't even consider living there!.:)

Thanks for the responses.

OmegaNYC
April 27th, 2007, 11:29 AM
^^^ Don't worry about it. You're lucky JCMan didn't get a chance to read your jokes. :D

ElMagnifico
April 27th, 2007, 02:06 PM
^^^ Don't worry about it. You're lucky JCMan didn't get a chance to read your jokes. :D

Lol. I deleted the offensive jokes ..just in case.:)

ThisIsntMyRealName
May 1st, 2007, 12:42 AM
From what I have seen, Hoboken is much better than the rest of New Jersey. Jersey City and for that matter, Newark, Bayonne, etc. all suck. When I moved here I sold my car to some thugs in JC for cash on the street. The rest of New Jersey seems more suburban. Hoboken seems nicer than Brooklyn also. You should go with Hoboken and ride the path train down to Journal Square.

shocka
May 1st, 2007, 09:02 AM
you can easily live in nyc on 75K, i have many friends doing it some on even less. Just need to find a roomie and split a 1bdrm.

Eugenious
May 1st, 2007, 10:27 AM
you can easily live in nyc on 75K, i have many friends doing it some on even less. Just need to find a roomie and split a 1bdrm.

You wont be able to afford Park Avenue, but you'll easily be able to find a place for your budget in the boroughs. Most people live on much less.

MikeKruger
May 1st, 2007, 11:31 AM
to: Thisisntmyrealname

"When I moved here I sold my car to some thugs in JC for cash on the street."

That sounds silly enough to be just a fake story. Say that car is involved in a hit and run or accident, wouldn't they track you by the VIN or license plate if those are still on????

to: Ninjahedge

We plan to move to Hoboken this fall. I will definitely give that lady a call. Which month is better to start a new lease: August or September?
I assume when school starts at Stevens there is a bigger demand for apartments than at any other time, but we can't afford to move any sooner and don't want to wait till October either.

Ninjahedge
May 1st, 2007, 12:20 PM
to: Thisisntmyrealname

"When I moved here I sold my car to some thugs in JC for cash on the street."

That sounds silly enough to be just a fake story. Say that car is involved in a hit and run or accident, wouldn't they track you by the VIN or license plate if those are still on????

to: Ninjahedge

We plan to move to Hoboken this fall. I will definitely give that lady a call. Which month is better to start a new lease: August or September?
I assume when school starts at Stevens there is a bigger demand for apartments than at any other time, but we can't afford to move any sooner and don't want to wait till October either.

Cheap apartments or ones that would be able to be shared by a number of students would be the primary concern.

August and September would bothe be difficult, I do not see any real price dip between the two months.

I wish you luck! (and the car for cash thing is a bit off.)

TonyO
May 1st, 2007, 02:41 PM
You can live in Manhattan for that, it won't be easy but I've done it for less. Assume you have to find a place for less than $1750-2000/mo, you won't save much either.

Dmain_Event
May 1st, 2007, 02:45 PM
Is New York City Really that expensive. I mean if I pay 2500/m in rent, 500/m in food (that is a lot of food!), 200/m public transportation, 500/m utilities (I would be using utlilties like AL Gore at that rate) that is only 3700/m. Multiply that by 12 and you only get about 44,000 a year. I don't freakin get why the hell everybody keeps saying you got to make 275K just to get a 5x5 sqr centimeter place in the roughest section of Harlem? Is it taxes? would I be paying through the ass on the cable bill? Is High-speed internet 200X more expensive in the big apple then in anywhere else in the Country? Is there a cool city tax? Is there a statue of liberty tax? Is there a homeless vagrant tax?
If I was little thrifty, I think I could eak out a nice life for myself in the city (thats manhattan) on about 45,000. Is that unrealistic? Why is that the case, If I just pay for rent and food and live in Harlem I think I could do it.

fishermb
May 1st, 2007, 08:57 PM
I just moved to Brooklyn Heights mainly because I like the quiet/neighborhood factor, but I am living here on approximately $55k/year and I'm paying $1500/month rent in a 2bed/2bath, and I still have a fair amount of spending money left over for going out when all of my utilities and food shopping are taken care of. Granted I am single and don't have to support anyone or pay off any loans, so if you're in a similar boat you will be definately fine on 75k a year.

MikeKruger
May 2nd, 2007, 09:51 AM
Multiply that by 12 and you only get about 44,000 a year.

Good luck finding a landlord that would even rent you a one bedroom apartment with an income of 44,000 a year. Most require 40-50 times month's rent in annual salary.

Lance75
May 2nd, 2007, 03:49 PM
Is New York City Really that expensive. I mean if I pay 2500/m in rent, 500/m in food (that is a lot of food!), 200/m public transportation, 500/m utilities (I would be using utlilties like AL Gore at that rate) that is only 3700/m. Multiply that by 12 and you only get about 44,000 a year. I don't freakin get why the hell everybody keeps saying you got to make 275K just to get a 5x5 sqr centimeter place in the roughest section of Harlem? Is it taxes? would I be paying through the ass on the cable bill? Is High-speed internet 200X more expensive in the big apple then in anywhere else in the Country? Is there a cool city tax? Is there a statue of liberty tax? Is there a homeless vagrant tax?
If I was little thrifty, I think I could eak out a nice life for myself in the city (thats manhattan) on about 45,000. Is that unrealistic? Why is that the case, If I just pay for rent and food and live in Harlem I think I could do it.

No entertainment budget?
No clothing budget?
No debt service?
No savings?

And that's just the tip of the iceberg ($500 a month for food is a little on the low end).

I suppose you could survive in Manhattan on $45K if you never go out on dates, never eat out, never meet your friends for drinks, never go to shows (or the movies), never buy shoes, never plan on having any extra cash in the bank for emergencies, never plan on saving for retirement, etc--but really, what would be the point?

Also, consider that by your calculations, you need $44K after tax just to eke by--you'd have to earn significantly more than $44K pre-tax to net $44k.

Dmain_Event
May 3rd, 2007, 03:54 PM
Come on, $500 dolars a month for food is on the LOW end? Im not rosie O'donelled. I can live without 100lbs of food per day.
I do know that that would be post tax. You would probably need to make about 60,000 with all those extra things included pre tax.
You don't have to take girls to the most exlusive clubs and pay for the VIP room to meet quality women (In fact, if you do you probably ran into a gold digger). So do you believe at minimum, you need a 6 figure income to be poor in manhattan? If that is the case, then NYC is not all it is cracked up to be.

Ninjahedge
May 3rd, 2007, 04:10 PM
Come on, $500 dolars a month for food is on the LOW end? Im not rosie O'donelled. I can live without 100lbs of food per day.
I do know that that would be post tax. You would probably need to make about 60,000 with all those extra things included pre tax.
You don't have to take girls to the most exlusive clubs and pay for the VIP room to meet quality women (In fact, if you do you probably ran into a gold digger). So do you believe at minimum, you need a 6 figure income to be poor in manhattan? If that is the case, then NYC is not all it is cracked up to be.

No, you don't.

But trust me, bills can mount pretty quickly.

$6 a beer in most places (and more for mixed) can drain your wallet awfully quickly in a single night if she is cute enough!

Dmain_Event
May 3rd, 2007, 04:35 PM
Thats why you should minimize your bar experience. Me I don't go to bars that much anyway. If that is were you need to be to meet women than I would probably go occasionally. I don't drink, so I would pretend like I am the designated driver for a group of idiots and ask for a sprite or something. And even then I would only take one. There I only wasted 2 bucks.

Lance75
May 3rd, 2007, 05:22 PM

If you're talking $500 strictly as a grocery budget, then yeah, $500 might be fine. But again, $500 is probably on the low end if you include any dining out--and you'll eat out often, especially considering all the great food here.

I don't know a single person in NYC who doesn't eat out at least 3 times a week. I eat out--or have take out--virtually every meal save breakfast, and that's not unusual or uncommon in this town.

I'm not a big fan of clubs, especially ones that offer bottle service or VIP rooms. But even low key activities require more money than you would expect.

lofter1
May 3rd, 2007, 08:13 PM
I don't know a single person in NYC who doesn't eat out at least 3 times a week.

Greetings ... You've just met one.

Lance75
May 3rd, 2007, 08:26 PM
Greetings ... You've just met one.

Lofter1, do you work from home? If not, do you "brown bag" it to the office everyday?

Just curious.

lofter1
May 3rd, 2007, 08:27 PM
Work from home (for the most part).

Gotta go now -- my oven timer just went off ;)

Dinner's ready!

Lance75
May 3rd, 2007, 08:33 PM
Work from home (for the most part).

Gotta go now -- my oven timer just went off ;)

Dinner's ready!

Talk about an unfair advantage! :p

I imagine working at home makes it easier to refrain from dining out (especially lunch--does anyone even brown bag anymore?), but most of us don't have that luxury.

Gotta go as well--the soup dumplings at New Green Bo awaits!

fishermb
May 3rd, 2007, 09:12 PM
From my personal experience over the last few months of living here, not including rent, I've been spending an average of $1200-1400 a month on everything - all food (groceries, I eat out lunch every day, and eat out dinner 4-5 nights a week), dry cleaning, concerts (I go to at least 1 a week), movies, and going to bars with friends once or twice a week.

The trick isn't that you need to make 6 figures to have fun in NYC...it's knowing what your budget is and where the best places are to go for your price range. There are great restaurants to eat dinner for $10. There's plenty of bars with $3 beers and $6 drinks.

BrooklynRider
May 4th, 2007, 02:11 AM
I'm just catching up on reading some threads. I'm not going to repeat a lot of the good info you already got in this thread. However, I had to acknowledge that the initial post creating this thread had me laughing my ass off. ElMagnifico, you'll do just fine here at whatever salary you land.

Dmain_Event
May 4th, 2007, 11:57 AM
If you're talking $500 strictly as a grocery budget, then yeah, $500 might be fine. But again, $500 is probably on the low end if you include any dining out--and you'll eat out often, especially considering all the great food here.

I don't know a single person in NYC who doesn't eat out at least 3 times a week. I eat out--or have take out--virtually every meal save breakfast, and that's not unusual or uncommon in this town.

I'm not a big fan of clubs, especially ones that offer bottle service or VIP rooms. But even low key activities require more money than you would expect.

500/month in groceries + Dinning out? That seems rediculously high to me. I guess I need to get out of the college life and into the real world.

Ninjahedge
May 4th, 2007, 01:33 PM
DME, you would be surprised at how many incidentals pop up and cost you cash.

College is relatively inexpensive. Aside from meals, I was able to get by on about $500 a SEMESTER.

But in Hoboken (not Manhattan mind you) I would easily blow $100 in a weekend (again, dinner on Friday, drinks on both days.)

And that was before I was seeing anyone!!!!

If you are conscientious about your finances, you can get by on much less than what people are saying here. But it is VERY easy to spend money here!

$75K will do you fine, but you will probably not save much cash, or start your 401K......

itsallgoode9
May 6th, 2007, 10:16 AM
yeah, it something that makes no sense until you live up here. I mean, you only have to spend $20/day on food to be spending $600 month and that's EASY to do.

Breakfast from a deli and or starbucks- $4.00
Lunch from a same deli with a drink- $9.00
Dinner on the way home (cheap place, grab a sandwich to go and a drink or something) - $10.00

whammy, there's more than your $20 per day. I'd say a routine similar to this is pretty common for alot of people. that's also not adding in the midday Starbucks break that alot of people will take, adding $4.00 more to the equation.

I've realized this and been cooking at home a lot more. Even though it's a pain in the ass and not as fun, it helps cut down on the expenses.

75k/year should get you living here just fine, depending on your age and your chosen style of living. i'm 24 and only make 55k and am living pretty happily in manhattan, putting savings away and am putting money in my 401k.

Dmain_Event
May 7th, 2007, 06:17 PM
IAG9 that is what I am talking about. That is probably going to be roughly the salary that I would start out at if I move up there. With a little bit of thrift hopefully I can get buy similar to you. My routine when I get up here.
Breakfast: bowl or two of cereal
Lunch: Homemade Deli sandwich (just like my moms taught me! :D)
Dinner: I might go out to eat at someplace cheap if I get tired of making spaggethi and chicken wings all the time (oh yeah, pb&j for desert).
That is all I need to get by.:cool:

Sunnygirl
May 28th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Also, you have to look at your habits now...

If you eat out all the time where you live now, then you'll likely do the same thing in NYC ... and it will cost you, just like it does now...

But if you currently make some meals at home, then you can do the same in the city, and it will save you money...

I spend that same 20+ a day in starbucks trips and lunch where I am now, that I would if I lived in NYC... I am already spending it & I bet you are too.

So what's the diff?