PDA

View Full Version : Actual driving time in Queens

ps004ynos
May 3rd, 2007, 03:37 PM
Hi,

I'll be moving to Queens next month to start work at Flushing Hospital. I was considering living in LIC or Astoria (to be closer to Manhattan) and commuting to Flushing. According to Google maps, this will take about 22 minutes each way.

My question is, what's the real commute duration? I've never driven on the LIE but heard it can be pretty bad. I'm originally from Los Angeles, is the LIE as bad as the 405 and 101? Also, is it much worse during the winter/snow/rain?

My hours will mostly be 7am-7pm so I expect some rush hour traffic. However, since I'll be "reverse-commuting," will this help at all?

Sorry, last question, in general (since I haven't located a specific apartment yet in LIC/Astoria), is free street parking in LIC/Astoria readily available/convenient?

Thanks!

clubBR
May 3rd, 2007, 04:44 PM
If I were you, I'd just live in Flushing. LIC and Astoria are close to Manhattan but with the job being first priority and you're gonna be at work most of the time. Street parking in NYC is dangerous within industrial areas. You will most likely get a broken window and lose a radio. But around busier areas, parking is gravy. The trip to Manhattan from Flushing is around 30 minutes by subway.
Tell us when you make a decision

ironmike9110
May 3rd, 2007, 05:25 PM
or try living in an area that is half-way between your job and Manhattan. This way its an equal commute. ;)

antinimby
May 3rd, 2007, 06:23 PM
I would definitely have to agree with ClubBR's advice.

Find a place closer to work in and around Flushing.

You can always hop on the 7 train to get to Manhattan when you're off work. (Btw, the 7 also runs through LIC as well so the train provides you with a lot of options.)

You might even want to get rid of that car before arriving, as owning one in NY becomes a burden instead of a convenience.

I used to live a block away from that hospital and have always walked to the subway station on Roosevelt and Main.

It was about a 15-20 minute walk for me and you can also get your shopping done along the way as there are many stores near the station. (Keep in mind that most stores caters to Asians as Flushing is now predominately an Asian neighborhood.)

Besides, if you're into being fit and healthy, ditching that car will do wonders, not to mention eliminating the headaches that comes with owning/maintaining one.

As for your questions on the LIE, at those early and later hours, the LIE will not be as congested but an hour later in the morning (or in the PM, an hour earlier) and it'll be a parking lot, in either direction.

ramvid01
May 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM
I agree with antinimby. Being that I know where that hospital is ( I was born there :) ) I would recommend taking the 7 train if you plan to live in Astoria/LIC. But from personal experience parking in these two areas is not pleasant at all and it is probably best that you get something in Flushing since it would be closer to your job and your need for a car will be minimal.

ps004ynos
May 3rd, 2007, 09:40 PM
Hey,

Thanks for the opinions. I was hoping it'd be more feasible to commute but if it comes down to more sleep vs. sitting in traffic, I'd rather live in Flushing. Also, I need to keep the car as my work is only for a year (intern year) after which I have to drive the junker cross country back to California.

As an aside, I was talking to a person renting a studio out of The Woodner House condominium, anybody familiar with that building? They're asking around $1000/month. Is this a good price for what they call a "luxury building?" I visited the Flushing area once before to check out apartments but could only see so many properties in a few days. I'm having a hard time gauging the prices since where I'm living now, North Carolina, my rent is $260/month for a 1br.

Appreciate all the input so far.

Schadenfrau
May 3rd, 2007, 10:11 PM
I would be surprised if something that cost $1,000 a month was anything near what you would consider luxury. It's certainly a fair price, though.

clubBR
May 4th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Wow $260/month?? thats incredible. unheard of in nyc

Punzie
May 4th, 2007, 08:53 AM
I'm familiar with Woodner House, and if the management calls it "luxury", they have a lot of explaining to do.

It is solid "semi-luxury".

shocka
May 4th, 2007, 11:33 AM
My first question would be, what are you interning in exactly at Flushing, is it a medical intern where you will have long nights and be on call? If so I say live in flushing, I have MANY friends that are residents and all agreee living close to the hospital is their number one priority to maximize their hours of potential sleep.

If you are interning in another dept, radiology, finance etc.. where there are not call hours and you have a fixed schedule, LIC might not be too bad as you can hope on the 7 train.

As for driving from LIC to flushing, you would geet to flushing in the morning in about 20 mins BUT navigating through flushing could be a mess.

In regards to rent, if you look at LIC any of the luxury rental will run you 1800 for a studio (if you can find one). Parking will be about 275/month unless you really have a clunker you could care less about and just leave it on the side streets, as LIC does not have alternate side parking.

Astoria, prices range, there are a lot of multi-family houses. I use to pay 1500 for a huge 2bdrm in a 2family house in a private community in astoria, where street parking was easy. Otherwise the rest of astoria has alternate side parking which is a pain! Not to mention if you live in Astoria and want to take the train to work you need to get on the NW to queens plaza THEN transfer to the 7, which is an additional 15-20 depending on the your stop in Astoria. And with the time i spent in Astoria the NW was terrible with frequency, the 7 has been a lot nicer to me here in LIC.

Also if you want to keep a car and save rent check out some places in forest hills, or forest hills gardens, Rego Park etc. Forest Hills is a really nice area in my opinion.

3fingersalute
May 4th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Also, I need to keep the car as my work is only for a year (intern year) after which I have to drive the junker cross country back to California.

I wonder if the money you'll save by not having to pay for parking, tickets, tolls, etc. over a year wouldn't be enough to just fly back to CA and have your stuff shipped back?

Can you leave the car somewhere in CA?

ps004ynos
May 5th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Rapunzel: Thanks for the input on the Woodner House. Sounds like a fair enough place.

Shocka: It's my preliminary medicine year so the hours should be bad. 80hrs+/week I believe. Thanks for the tips on Astoria. I was also favoring LIC over Astoria (again for proximity) but at this point, I guess I'd better come back to reality and realize I'll spend next year living in the hospital so Flushing it is :(.

3fingersalute: I'd thought about dropping the car off in California but it's too expensive to accomplish. My auto insurance has quoted me about $800 for the year if I live in Flushing, $900 if I live in Astoria. Shipping my car from LA to NC four years ago cost me $700. If I ship the car, I'll also need to buy a plane ticket to NYC from NC, $200 plus ship my few possessions to NYC such as clothes and books. Keeping the car seems cheaper and more convenient at this point. I don't plan on driving into Manhattan so there shouldn't be any tolls (unless there are other tolls I'm unfamiliar with).

Another random question: Is it much faster to drive from Flushing to LIC, park and take the train into Manhattan compared to taking the train all the way?

Thanks, this is a great forum. Can't wait to get to NY.

ramvid01
May 5th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Rapunzel: Thanks for the input on the Woodner House. Sounds like a fair enough place.

Shocka: It's my preliminary medicine year so the hours should be bad. 80hrs+/week I believe. Thanks for the tips on Astoria. I was also favoring LIC over Astoria (again for proximity) but at this point, I guess I'd better come back to reality and realize I'll spend next year living in the hospital so Flushing it is :(.

3fingersalute: I'd thought about dropping the car off in California but it's too expensive to accomplish. My auto insurance has quoted me about $800 for the year if I live in Flushing, $900 if I live in Astoria. Shipping my car from LA to NC four years ago cost me $700. If I ship the car, I'll also need to buy a plane ticket to NYC from NC, $200 plus ship my few possessions to NYC such as clothes and books. Keeping the car seems cheaper and more convenient at this point. I don't plan on driving into Manhattan so there shouldn't be any tolls (unless there are other tolls I'm unfamiliar with).

Another random question: Is it much faster to drive from Flushing to LIC, park and take the train into Manhattan compared to taking the train all the way?

Thanks, this is a great forum. Can't wait to get to NY.

In general there are no tolls. But driving from Queens to Bronx there is a toll on 2 of the 3 bridges (not sure about the third) and from Brooklyn to Staten Island. As for driving the car to LIC and parking there to take the train into Manhattan, it is probably not worth it. You would really not save that much time if any at all especially since Main Street can be a nightmare at times. Might as well just take the train, of if your truly in a rush take the LIRR which is the faster commuter train (more expensive) with a stop in Flushing. I don't know how fast it is to Flushing, but I am pretty sure its faster than the 7.

Schadenfrau
May 5th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Just grab a book and take the 7. You'll probably enjoy the leisure time the commute gives you after your work hours.

clubBR
May 6th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Just grab a book and take the 7. You'll probably enjoy the leisure time the commute gives you after your work hours.
I agree.
Basically:
Secure residence within the Flushing area.
Take the 7 train to the city (Express takes half an hour so bring your mp3)

clubBR
May 6th, 2007, 04:28 AM
I guess I'd better come back to reality and realize I'll spend next year living in the hospital so Flushing it is :(.
Flushing is an awesome place. A large part of my childhood was spent in Flushing and it was an amazing experience. The food is great AND cheap. Theres an assortment of ethnic shops for you to visit. Theres a Chinatown, a Koreatown, a Little India/Pakistan, and irish bars scattered throughout. For a more detailed look at Flushing, Queens- check out:
http://queens.about.com/cs/neighborhoods/a/tour_flushing.htm

shocka
May 6th, 2007, 11:53 AM

Well I am assuming you are not going to drink if you plan on driving, in which case i think you should just drive into manhattan.

ps004ynos
May 6th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Definitely no drinking and driving. I asked about parking in LIC/train into Manhattan because I assumed it was easier than trying to find parking in Manhattan.

Can anybody recommend a NEWER apartment/condominium complex in Flushing? The buildings I saw appeared on my visit were pretty old and rundown. I've read about the Opal but reviews have said it was overpriced.

Back to packing.

Schadenfrau
May 6th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Seriously, don't bother driving to LIC. There aren't any parking lots for subway stations, and street parking is a real pain.

clubBR
May 7th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Instead of Flushing proper, you can look in the neighborhood directly west called Willets Point aka Iron Triangle. The city has major rezoning plans and construction projects underway
http://www.outerb.com/?cat=27

Also for Flushing real estate
http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3364

shocka
May 8th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Seriously, don't bother driving to LIC. There aren't any parking lots for subway stations, and street parking is a real pain.

It really depends on the time of the day. If you are going in after 7pm, NO problem, you will ALWAYS find a free spot on Vernon Blvd. Come around 6-7pm you pay for the hour at a meter on Vernon. Its .25 for 30 mins i think and go on your merry way.

During the mid day, you can drive around and look for a spot but it will take a bit. Personally I would avoid this if I could and just sit on the train from flushing for the extra time. Grab a 7X and your golden.