PDA

View Full Version : Someone told me the best way to find your way is to get lost...

Lolita88
May 4th, 2007, 02:42 PM
How did you become familiar with New York? and its addresses?:p

Ninjahedge
May 4th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Just walk around.

Getting "lost" never worked for me because I only remembered how to get lost again!!! ;)

Seriously, make a wrong turn, yuo will remember the wrong turn and how you eventually got to where you are going, but since that is the first memory of the trip, you are prone to either remembering the entire long-way there OR just the wrong turn after you take it again.

Walk around, remember certain landmarks, parks, intersections and you will be able to get around just fine.

Lolita88
May 4th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks Im actually moving in just a few months and thats what Im really nervous about:p

fishermb
May 4th, 2007, 08:05 PM
The first time I spent time alone in the city a few years ago, I just wandered around. I had a general map of the city in my head, so I wouldn't get lost, but I'd make mental notes of any restaurant that looked good, where little parks were, music venues, and the like. Everyone has different tastes here...I've learned not to read the critics or take the blogs too seriously, you've got to just wander around until you find what suits you right.

Lolita88
May 6th, 2007, 12:59 PM
thanks, and are cabs safe at any time? I mean I know during the day your fine, but just wondering about late night and early morning

Schadenfrau
May 6th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Cabs are fine at all hours.

WestSideShooter
May 7th, 2007, 11:26 PM
How did you become familiar with New York? and its addresses?:p

When I moved here three years ago from DC, I kept getting turned around -- I couldn't gauge which direction was north, or south, east or west, especially in Central Park. Thank God Manhattan is surrounded by water or I'd be in Nebraska by now. So I bought a compass and a good map and set about getting my bearings; it worked well.

New York is very walkable. There's so much to see, so much beauty, that getting lost is often quite rewarding, and hardly ever a bother.

Ninjahedge
May 8th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Daytime NYC is easy to navigate.

Sun rises in the East, sets in the West, and is always slightly south.

Night time can be more confusing, but once you walk one of the numbered streets, you can tell which way you are walking when you read the next street number. (Higher #'s are north. Building numbers get smaller as you get towards 5th avenue on the lateral streets).

As for the boroughs.... They are a bit more difficult, and you should get a map to keep with you JIC...

GowanusGuy
May 16th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Another good thing to remember is that the traffic on most even-numbered one-way streets leads east, and odd-number streets usually head west.

bronzenine
May 16th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Another good thing to remember is that the traffic on most even-numbered one-way streets leads east, and odd-number streets usually head west.

really? that's so funny, I never knew haha.

Lolita88
May 23rd, 2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys, I cant believe my move is so close. Im excited!:p