PDA

View Full Version : NBA D-League Team To Teaneck

JCMAN320
May 7th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Teaneck home for D-League?

Saturday, May 5, 2007

NBA commissioner David Stern, a former Teaneck resident, raised the possibility Friday that professional basketball could return to his old neighborhood.

Speaking before Game 6 of Nets-Raptors at Continental Arena, Stern said that Teaneck Armory -- former home to the New Jersey Americans that later became the Nets -- would make for a good home for one of the NBA's Developmental League teams.

"It's a perfect place for a D-League team," Stern said. "Really."

Stern also had a message for all Nets fans who will feel betrayed and/or abandoned when Bruce Ratner moves the team to Brooklyn: New York is a hell of a town.

"You know, it's not that far into the Garden," Stern said Friday night. "Penn Station, 12 minutes. Then they get on the subway and they're almost in Brooklyn."

-- Ian O'Connor
North Jersey Media Group

clubBR
May 7th, 2007, 02:46 AM
I heard the New Jersey Nets will change their name to the Brooklyn Nets. Is this official? If so, are the Nets officially a New York team? If thats the case, the system is messed up. New York takes the Knicks and the Nets while Jersey is left with a D-League team

JCMAN320
May 7th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I agree with you. Yes if the Nets move they will either become the Brooklyn Nets or the New York Nets. The only reason they are moving is because Ratner wants them as part big development in Brooklyn, thats the only reason they are moving.

pianoman11686
May 7th, 2007, 08:47 PM
How is "the system" messed up exactly? Teams change cities all the time. The Nets were already in New York once and were moved to become the New Jersey Nets.

Spoon
May 8th, 2007, 09:42 AM
I think it's messed up b/c three "New York" teams. Jets, Giants, Red Bulls play in New Jersey but they are still called New York but when a New Jersey team moves to New York it is changed to New York / Brooklyn.

I'm going to start a franchise and say it's from New Jersey but we are going to play all our home games in Nebraska.

ASchwarz
May 8th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I think it's messed up b/c three "New York" teams. Jets, Giants, Red Bulls play in New Jersey but they are still called New York but when a New Jersey team moves to New York it is changed to New York / Brooklyn.

I'm going to start a franchise and say it's from New Jersey but we are going to play all our home games in Nebraska.

I'm not sure I understand. The "New York" in the team names obviously refer to the City, not the State.

Your Nebraska point is completely apples and oranges. Metro New York consists of parts of NY, NJ, CT and PA. It does not include Nebraska.

pianoman11686
May 8th, 2007, 01:34 PM

What would you prefer? That we resort to a silly arrangement like the Angels did and call them the New York Jets of New Jersey?

The Detroit Pistons play in Auburn Hills, a full 33 miles north of Detroit. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays play in St. Petersburg. The Phoenix Coyotes play in Glendale. It's not that unusual for a team to play somewhere other than its "home city".

Going back to the Nets, it's completely the prerogative of the team owner to move and call them whatever he/she wants. So the Nets are moving to Brooklyn. What is that...20 miles away from East Rutherford? You'll still be able to see them.

OmegaNYC
May 8th, 2007, 01:49 PM
^^^ I think spoon is upset with the fact that now the Nets are a marketable team, and the New Jerseyans supported them for years, and now they are moving to another city. Didn't some NYC lawmakers wanted the Jets and Giants to change their names because they don't play in New York?

OmegaNYC
May 8th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Your Nebraska point is completely apples and oranges. Metro New York consists of parts of NY, NJ, CT and PA. It does not include Nebraska.

He was being sarcastic, ASchwarz. :D

Spoon
May 8th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Thanks Omega, at least someone picked up on the sarcasm.

All I'm saying is that I can't think of any other teams that plays in a completely different state. I think those teams also practice in New Jersey. There is no affiliation with New York whatsoever except for marketing purposes.

A team that calls itself Phoenix and plays in a different town is fine or Dallas which plays in Iriving is fine. You arent' going to call the team the Irving Cowboys.

Saying the New Jersey Giants is "completely uncool" so of course they aren't going to do that but I think the team lost the New York aspect of themselves when they hoped over the river. I believe the team is closer to Newark than New York being in East Rutherford.

I've taken friends from different parts of the country to the meadowlands and they are at first totally confused that the New York Giants don't actually play in New York. If the team was in Westchester I'd say New York is appropriate but not NJ.

ramvid01
May 8th, 2007, 04:47 PM
But it's not like the Meadowlands is that far (it may seem so if your driving there). I do not see what the big deal and its pretty sad that some of you are complaining over a name. I mean its not like any of those three teams play in say Camden, NJ. Then that would be a problem. I mean heck isn't there a West New York in New Jersey. I don't see any of you harping over a name change there.

pianoman11686
May 8th, 2007, 05:21 PM
All I'm saying is that I can't think of any other teams that plays in a completely different state. I think those teams also practice in New Jersey. There is no affiliation with New York whatsoever except for marketing purposes.

FedEx Field, home of the Washington Redskins, is in Landover, Maryland. I'm sure I could find more examples.

A team that calls itself Phoenix and plays in a different town is fine or Dallas which plays in Iriving is fine. You arent' going to call the team the Irving Cowboys.

It's exactly the same dynamic with the New York teams, the Redskins, even the Patriots, who play in Foxboro, MA. It's all about combining a team name with a city/state/region name that is most recognizable. This isn't a New Jersey vs. New York thing. This is a general trend that you find anywhere a team plays outside of its home's geographical boundaries.

Saying the New Jersey Giants is "completely uncool" so of course they aren't going to do that but I think the team lost the New York aspect of themselves when they hoped over the river. I believe the team is closer to Newark than New York being in East Rutherford.

Not sure about that, East Rutherford is pretty damn close to the Lincoln Tunnel. And even if it is closer to Newark, so what? What's so special about Newark?

Just get off of it. All these teams playing in New Jersey are no different than any other team playing in a suburb. The reasoning behind keeping the name "New York" is pretty obvious, so what's the point of getting upset about it?

66nexus
July 28th, 2007, 10:39 PM
'New York' Red Bulls name-change is a disgrace. Yeah I said it