PDA

View Full Version : It's Official

Gregory Tenenbaum
May 10th, 2007, 06:16 PM
"This country is a blessed country. The British are special. The world knows it, we know it, this is the greatest country on earth."

So Said Tony Blair 10 May 2007 during his resignation speech.

So it must be true then.

What's your greatest country on earth today? I vote for Antarctica!

OmegaNYC
May 10th, 2007, 06:24 PM
^^^ if you ask me two weeks ago, I would agreed with you about Antarctica. How ever I'm going with:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/01/Flag_of_California.svg/750px-Flag_of_California.svg.png

Bojangleman
May 10th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Pffft @ the idea of the UK being a single nation.

Anyway, I vote Ireland, Switzerland, or maybe even the US. Not England though, for certain.

OmegaNYC
May 10th, 2007, 06:47 PM
^ No California... :(

Punzie
May 10th, 2007, 08:40 PM
In this country, a female who is born into the direst of circumstances has the greatest chance of pulling herself up by the bootstraps to a higher educational and economic class.

Don't bother trying to change my mind; I'm permanently biased.:)

Meerkat
May 12th, 2007, 03:34 AM
"This country is a blessed country. The British are special. The world knows it, we know it, this is the greatest country on earth."

So Said Tony Blair 10 May 2007 during his resignation speech.

So it must be true then.

What's your greatest country on earth today? I vote for Antarctica!

Gregory, i hope this isn't going to turn into one of your pointless anglophobic rants, as i've seen so many times through the threads you start.

Maybe for once Blair is right, but for second place i'll go for Canada. Beautiful country, high standard of living and plenty of open space.

Meerkat
May 12th, 2007, 05:33 AM
No, actually i've changed my mind i'll go with you Greg, Antarctica gets my vote - no people (well not many). Must be heaven.

Gregory Tenenbaum
May 17th, 2007, 08:20 AM
...one of your pointless anglophobic rants...

Hey, how about STFU already.

Is that "rant" good enough for you?

Since you are English, you tell us what you make of Mr Blair's comment.

Luca
May 17th, 2007, 10:46 AM
"Greatest country on Earth" seems a bit of an overstatement. "One of the greatest coutnries on Earth" without a doubt.

I'm quite sure that there is no objective way to etablish a pecking order amogn the top nations and every attempt I've ever seen (from the facetious to the deadly earnest like UN indexes) was farcically, transparently tendetious and stupid.

Meerkat
May 17th, 2007, 11:34 AM

Not sure what 'STFU already' means :confused:

What do i make of Blairs comment? Pure manipulation like almost everything else that man has said for the past 10 years.

Do i really think England is the best country in the world - no i don't, although i'm glad i was born here as my situation is very similar to that of Rapunzel, but i won't bore you with my life story. If you want my opinion i don't think any country deserves to be called the greatest country in the world - not here/USA/Canada, anywhere. All countries have good and bad attributes, simple as that.

Ninjahedge
May 17th, 2007, 12:28 PM
STFU = Shut The >Explicative< Up.

Uncalled for at this point in a rather moderate discussion.

eddhead
May 17th, 2007, 03:55 PM
I am not sure how anyone who has not spent a significant amount of time in every country in the world can categorically state that one country in particular country is the greatest in the world. In the words of Lewis Black, how do you know?

@Rup. are you sure that the US is the only country about which that statement holds true?

ZippyTheChimp
May 17th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Hey, how about STFU already.STFU or shut the f**k up are no different than the words.

We all know what the words are. It's not the words themselves that are insulting.

Forum infraction.

Punzie
May 17th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I am not sure how anyone who has not spent a significant amount of time in every country in the world can categorically state that one country in particular country is the greatest in the world.
If GT happened to be asking for objective statements -- or near-objective, anyway -- I agree completely. (And I couldn't have said it as succinctly.:))

I was under the impression, however, that he was seeking personal opinions.

Gregory, if you're not serving time for your forum infraction, would you clarify? Thanks.

@Rup. are you sure that the US is the only country about which that statement holds true?
This question could be a whole topic unto itself.:)

Yes, I believe that females have greater opportunity in the U.S. than in any other country.

There are notable demographic exceptions; I'm talking about the female population as a whole.

Luca
May 18th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Yes, I believe that females have greater opportunity in the U.S. than in any other country.

There are notable demographic exceptions; I'm talking about the female population as a whole.

I think the Scandi countries are much further alogn in terms of male/female equality than the US.

ZippyTheChimp
May 18th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Sweden and Norway are consistently at the top of the list of country rankings for gender equality.

Overall, the US ranking for 2006 is 23.

The US scores well in health and economic opportunity (actually outscores Sweden and Norway), but has lower marks for political empowerment and educational attainment.

2006 Gender Gap Index (http://www.weforum.org/pdf/gendergap/report2006.pdf)

Table on page 9.

Alonzo-ny
May 18th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Define greatness?

Being British i think we are the greatest. We continually punch i above our weight being relatively small population and contributing a major amount of great quality to the world.

londonlawyer
May 18th, 2007, 03:35 PM
What's wrong with Blair's statement? Americans always proclaim to be the best, which is obviously a subjective statement. Why can't others do the same?

BenL
May 18th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I'm a member of the Labour Party and think that Blair has done great things for Britain. However, I can't stand the jingoistic language so popular amongst leaders in the States. There is no number one nation and any intelligent person can understand that God, if He does exist, does not favour any one country. In his defence, Blair has never made any similar comments and it was the end of his hugely emotional leaving speech. I hope it will not strike a precedent.

pianoman11686
May 18th, 2007, 05:19 PM
What about this guy's take on the "Greatest country in the world"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg2vOHtUSYA

Punzie
May 19th, 2007, 02:37 AM
I think the Scandi countries are much further alogn in terms of male/female equality than the US.

With regard to jobs and education:

Would my non-caucasion female friends have better job opportunities in Scandinavian countries than the U.S.?

How about caucasion women who don't look "Scandinavian"? I'm referring to women who are very short, dark, very large-boned, and/or extremely voluptuous. Also, women who have facial features that are distinctly non-Scandinavian.

How about non-Christian women?

Handicapped women?

How about females who are born with "personalities" that are very different from the stereotypical "Scandinavian" personality?

Females who are born into disadvantaged circumstances?

I don't believe that I, Rapunzel, would have had more opportunities in Scandinavian countries than the U.S. To illustrate this, my profile:

Caucasion and very fair, but extremely "Irish-looking"; non-Christian descent; born with a personality that is almost the antithesis of "Scandinavian"; extra-large bone size and short (5'1"); small waistline but otherwise very "rounded"; multiple physical handicaps. Also, born and raised under very disadvantaged circumstances.

Luca, I appreciate your addressing my earlier post, and I'm truly not being combative. I'm just pointing out your statement is probably only valid for women who fit the stereotypical "molds" of their Scandinavian countries.

Punzie
May 19th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Define greatness?

Most people would define the "greatest country" as not necessarily the country in which they live, but rather the country in which they believe they personally would be the best off.:)

Alonzo-ny
May 19th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Most people would define the "greatest country" as not necessarily the country in which they live, but rather the country in which they believe they personally would be the best off.:)

hmm that doesnt neccessarily make a country 'great' though, just means its doing well, that doesnt show it is doing things over and above the norm.

Gregory Tenenbaum
May 19th, 2007, 04:47 PM
What's wrong with Blair's statement? Americans always proclaim to be the best, which is obviously a subjective statement. Why can't others do the same?

Americans do not proclaim to be the best.

Blair's statement is what it is. Another example of governments trying to convince their citizens that they live in "Gods Chosen Country".

And my statement to Meerkat to Start Tootling Francine's Underskirt is what it is. Semantics aside, Meerkat basically indicted me with beginning a rant by quoting the British PM making an obviously innane comment. That of itself was not an anti-British rant. If Meerkat wanted a rant - he got one.

I was hoping that the thread would turn into a useful discussion about why governments engage in this kind of innane propaganda, who would actually believe it, and what purpose Blair had in saying it.

How about some of that.

Is that "Rant" enough for you now Meerkat? I am beginning to think that I should depart this forum for good.

GT

Gregory Tenenbaum
May 19th, 2007, 04:59 PM
What about this guy's take on the "Greatest country in the world"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg2vOHtUSYA

Have you ever met any girls from Kazakhstan? I bet Cohen hasn't. I have met them from all the FSU republics, Uzbeks, Kazakhs, you name it.

Hot Hot Hot.

BenL
May 19th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Americans do not proclaim to be the best.

Blair's statement is what it is. Another example of governments trying to convince their citizens that they live in "Gods Chosen Country".

And my statement to Meerkat to Start Tootling Francine's Underskirt is what it is. Semantics aside, Meerkat basically indicted me with beginning a rant by quoting the British PM making an obviously innane comment. That of itself was not an anti-British rant. If Meerkat wanted a rant - he got one.

I was hoping that the thread would turn into a useful discussion about why governments engage in this kind of innane propaganda, who would actually believe it, and what purpose Blair had in saying it.

How about some of that.

Is that "Rant" enough for you now Meerkat? I am beginning to think that I should depart this forum for good.

GT
Oh get real. At every speech Bush gives, there's an obligatory "God bless America". America is by far the most nationalistic western country. Except around the time of the World Cup, one never sees flags in Britain - in the US, the Stars and Stripes adorn many driveways.

You aren't ranting but I don't believe it's a coincidence you pick up on the one time Blair has made a religious or nationalistic statement during his time in Office, whilst neglecting to mention the frequency Bush talks about God and America's Mission.

Blair had no motive and it was not propaganda. It was just the end of a hugely emotional speech by one of the best Prime Ministers in British history.

Gregory Tenenbaum
May 20th, 2007, 12:51 PM
There is a difference between saying God Bless America and "Britain is the greatest country in the world". Saying "God Bless America" is just like saying "God Save the Queen".

What Blair said certainly did have an audience. He certainly did mean to say it. He has spent months preparing for this moment, perhaps years.

Otherwise, all I can say about this is RANT RANT RANT RANT RANT RANT RANT RANT RANT RANT RANT RANT STFU RANT RANT RANT RANT STFU RANT RANT RANT just to satisfy Meerkat's expectations.

But what do you think about Blairs statement and its intended audience?

BenL
May 20th, 2007, 01:12 PM
There is a difference between saying God Bless America and "Britain is the greatest country in the world". Saying "God Bless America" is just like saying "God Save the Queen".

What Blair said certainly did have an audience. He certainly did mean to say it. He has spent months preparing for this moment, perhaps years. I disagree. Saying God Bless America is defining America as God's chosen country along the lines of the Manifest Destiny. It is giving the country a religous mission, a concept I think many Americans believe in - confusing the Enlightenment ideals of liberty, life and property with world ideals. Blair has never made a similarly religous or nationalistic comment before and is highly unlikely to do so again, certainly whilst Prime Minister.

I don't approve of "God Save the Queen" but I think a difference is that it's considered a much more archaic concept in Britain - there is a begrudging respect of the Queen and amongst some a warmth for the monarchy. But Britain is a largely agnostic country and the words are never uttered except at national football matches, where most have to mouth the lyrics to the verses! In the US, "God Bless America" is a socially acceptable statement to make and to me, making primary school kids sing the Oath of Alleigance initially appeared at odds with the country's democratic ideals.

But what do you think about Blairs statement and its intended audience?
I'm a member of the Labour Party and think that Blair has done great things for Britain. However, I can't stand the jingoistic language so popular amongst leaders in the States. There is no number one nation and any intelligent person can understand that God, if He does exist, does not favour any one country. In his defence, Blair has never made any similar comments and it was the end of his hugely emotional leaving speech. I hope it will not strike a precedent.

ZippyTheChimp
May 20th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I disagree. Saying God Bless America is defining America as God's chosen country along the lines of the Manifest Destiny.I disagree.

You're projecting the person, as when you made reference to Bush, onto the statement.

BenL
May 20th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Perhaps to an extent but America has certainly become a more nationalistic country under Bush in the post-9/11 world. What do you think the statement is saying?

ZippyTheChimp
May 20th, 2007, 01:54 PM
^
Which statement, Blair's?

BenL
May 20th, 2007, 02:01 PM
"God Bless America", but I guess I'd be interested to hear your views on Blair's statement too.

ZippyTheChimp
May 20th, 2007, 02:14 PM
God Bless America: It's an entreaty. If it's in your mind that your country should be better than everyone else, then that's what you're asking for.

If you want peace and a place where you can live a worthwhile life, then that's what you're asking for.

Blair: "This country is a blessed country. The British are special. The world knows it, we know it, this is the greatest country on earth."

It's a statement, and not ambiguous. However, I attribute it to an emotional event, so it's no big deal.

So is this thread. :rolleyes:

Meerkat
May 21st, 2007, 07:30 AM

Ah so now i know what STFU means. Very nice.

I would have thought that a person who would describe himself as an attorney (semi retired) would be capable of a bit more restraint.

ablarc
May 21st, 2007, 07:54 AM
I would have thought that a person who would describe himself as an attorney (semi retired) would be capable of a bit more restaint.
Just wait till he's fully retired. (Ain't seen nothin' yet.)

Meerkat
May 21st, 2007, 09:08 AM
Just wait till he's fully retired. (Ain't seen nothin' yet.)

Maybe he should go back to full time hours. He's obviously got too much spare time on his hands.

Luca
May 21st, 2007, 10:24 AM
With regard to jobs and education:

Would my non-caucasion female friends have better job opportunities in Scandinavian countries than the U.S.?

How about caucasion women who don't look "Scandinavian"? I'm referring to women who are very short, dark, very large-boned, and/or extremely voluptuous. Also, women who have facial features that are distinctly non-Scandinavian.

How about non-Christian women?

Handicapped women?

How about females who are born with "personalities" that are very different from the stereotypical "Scandinavian" personality?

Females who are born into disadvantaged circumstances?

I don't believe that I, Rapunzel, would have had more opportunities in Scandinavian countries than the U.S. To illustrate this, my profile:

Caucasion and very fair, but extremely "Irish-looking"; non-Christian descent; born with a personality that is almost the antithesis of "Scandinavian"; extra-large bone size and short (5'1"); small waistline but otherwise very "rounded"; multiple physical handicaps. Also, born and raised under very disadvantaged circumstances.

Luca, I appreciate your addressing my earlier post, and I'm truly not being combative. I'm just pointing out your statement is probably only valid for women who fit the stereotypical "molds" of their Scandinavian countries.

I haven't lived in any Scandi country so I'm just relying on one of those indexes (as quoted elsewhere in the thread) so I honestly don’t know if a non-white woman would be at a particular disadvantage or not.

MY superficial impression is that the Scandis are quite PC about colored people of different hues (two separate immigrant cabbies confirmed this to me while travelling there -- they thought that Sweden/Finland was great...despite the weather, and neither of them was a typical Swede...).

I'm not sure I get the "personality" bit. I know a lot of Scandies and it does not strike me that there is a typical personality at all...

Punzie
May 22nd, 2007, 06:02 AM
MY superficial impression is that the Scandis are quite PC about colored people of different hues...

Luca, you are probably correct about Scandinavian political correctness with regard to people of color. I have heard so myself.

But do people of color actually have equal opportunity in the job market?

Talk is cheap. It's one thing to speak nicely about people of color; it's quite another thing to move from talking to positive action.

(two separate immigrant cabbies confirmed this to me while travelling there -- they thought that Sweden/Finland was great...despite the weather, and neither of them was a typical Swede...).

Again, you (and the two immigrants) are probably correct that people of color have equal opportunity to be cab drivers in Scandinavian countries. The question is, do they equal opportunity in white-color professions as well?

Luca, if you've seen enough of my posts, you know that I often say: "I'm an optimist, and I'd like to believe... <insert something nice>." It holds in this post, too:

I'd like to believe that every person of every demographic has as much opportunity in Scandinavian countries as they do in America. The evidence, however, is still insufficient for any conclusion.

Ninjahedge
May 22nd, 2007, 09:54 AM
Yeah, those damn arians are hidden racist bastards and treat minorities like dogs behind their backs!!!

I mean, they are SO civil and nice to them in PUBLIC, but as soon as you get them on your HR team, LOOK OUT!!!!

Rap, relax on the suspicion there. They may indeed not be 100&#37; equitable in all matters, but why all the doubt?

Luca, if you've seen enough of my posts, you know that I often say: "I'm an optimist, and I'd like to believe... <insert something nice>."

You forgot the "...BUT I can't help but wonder if <insert negitive assumption or assertion>".

It's a classic "Don't take this the wrong way, you are a really nice guy, BUT....." You may not want to come off that way, but that is what the last post is SCREAMING!

In a case like this, try to believe that a group of people can be nice until they prove it otherwise. It will not cost you anything!!! ;)

Luca
May 23rd, 2007, 07:54 AM
Aren't there any Scandis on the forum?? We shud ask them.

On a (very) small sample, I've had several colored people tell me they felt more at home in London than in the US. I'm sure one could find opposite examples.

As a non-native (but white), I've definitely found Europeans just as accepting of 'foreigners' as USians, in important amtters (jobs, etc.). In terms of exoticisation, I would say the yooropeans are better (mostly because they have more exposure to foereigners in their own environment).

Ninjahedge
May 23rd, 2007, 09:31 AM
Aren't there any Scandis on the forum?? We shud ask them.

On a (very) small sample, I've had several colored people tell me they felt more at home in London than in the US. I'm sure one could find opposite examples.

As a non-native (but white), I've definitely found Europeans just as accepting of 'foreigners' as USians, in important amtters (jobs, etc.). In terms of exoticisation [no misspell, just a sort of hybrid word I guess...], I would say the yooropeans are better (mostly because they have more exposure to foereigners in their own environment).

Luca, not to be mean, but there is a little "spell-check" button (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/images/editor/spelling.gif) on the top right of the post box that you can use to check things B4 you send them.... ;)

Luca
May 23rd, 2007, 11:14 AM
Yes...the world's worst typist...

But, surely, "yooropean" is the correct spelling? ;)

Edward
May 23rd, 2007, 11:40 AM
But, surely, "yooropean" is the correct spelling? ;)
It's yo!ropean...

Punzie
May 24th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Rap, relax on the suspicion there. They may indeed not be 100&#37; equitable in all matters, but why all the doubt?

Ninj, I thought you knew by now that I converse with everybody on everything.
Whether it's tabby cat stripes or Scandinavian employment opportuntities, it's:

Conversations in cyberspace & natural world
+ A few reliable friendships
= Anecdotal evidence

Add supplemental reading to a few hundred pieces of anecdotal evidence, and you can often see (or not see) patterns and begin to conclude something.;)

Punzie
May 24th, 2007, 05:32 AM
A: It's a line of words that sounds good -- especially to certain politicians.

The line has been recited ad nauseum extreme over the centuries -- and the meaning has changed so much -- that in the end, it means nothing.

To illustrate:

Irving Berlin's first version of "God Bless America," written in 1918, was a morale-booster song for World War I.

In 1938, Berlin revised the words to turn it into a "Peace Song."

In the 19th Century, "God Bless America" was an abolitionist song. Written in 1934 by Robert Montgomery Bird in Philadephia, and it goes like this:

God bless the land that gave us birth!
No pray'r but this know we.
God bless the land, of all the earth,
The happy and the free.
And where's the land like ours can brave
The splendor of the day.
And find no son of hers a slave?
God bless America!
God bless the land, the land beloved
Forever and for aye!
God bless the land that gave us birth.
God bless America!

Before 1834, who knows what "God Bless America" meant? Is it documented anywhere?

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Bless_America

Gregory Tenenbaum
May 24th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Why haven't I been banned yet for my Meerkat invited Rant?

Ban me bitches - I dare you.

I double dare you.

Ninjahedge
May 24th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Why haven't I been banned yet for my Meerkat invited Rant?

Ban me bitches - I dare you.

I double dare you.

Gregory, seriously, WTH?

Cut back on the morning Capp there buddy. You have had enough caffeine for the day!

Luca
May 24th, 2007, 10:40 AM
I think Tenenbaum has photographic evidence of one of the moderators performing unnatural acts or something... :eek: :) Fess up, Zippy!!

Hey Greg, if you ttrawl the website of "The Indipendent" and "The Dialy Tlegraph2 you shoudl be anle to glean at least 2-3 repugnant factoids abotu Britain its people and culture on a DAILY BASIS. What fun! :p

BUT YOU COULD DO BETTER. There's a coulmnist claled Theodore Darlymple (great name. huh?) who seems to ahve decided that the UK (from whence he hails) is going to hell in a filthy, smelly, crime-ridden handbasket. You can find his stuff on the web. Bliss.

Ninjahedge
May 24th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I think Tenenbaum has photographic evidence of one of the moderators performing unnatural acts or something... :eek: :) Fess up, Zippy!!

Hey Greg, if you ttrawl the website of "The Indipendent" and "The Dialy Tlegraph2 you shoudl be anle to glean at least 2-3 repugnant factoids abotu Britain its people and culture on a DAILY BASIS. What fun! :p

BUT YOU COULD DO BETTER. There's a coulmnist claled Theodore Darlymple (great name. huh?) who seems to ahve decided that the UK (from whence he hails) is going to hell in a filthy, smelly, crime-ridden handbasket. You can find his stuff on the web. Bliss.

My eyes hurt... LUCA!!!! ;)

BenL
May 24th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Think I've just found the website (http://britishreparations.org/)of your dreams Gregory.

Meerkat
May 24th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Think I've just found the website (http://britishreparations.org/)of your dreams Gregory.

Funny you should post a link to this website. I made the mistake of buying the book linked to this and its so ridiculous its not worth even discussing.

Anyway, i can't understand GT's reaction to my comment, but i think it's a shame he's been banned. Is the ban permanent of for a period of time?

Bojangleman
May 24th, 2007, 06:34 PM
LOL @ British reparations.

A great laugh all around, although I do admit that I appreciated the part of the video telling the British to stop blaming America, especially considering that they always come along on our missions enforcing American hegemony (ie Iraq). Britain is the only nation on this earth that DOESN'T have the right to complain about America.

Alonzo-ny
May 24th, 2007, 06:59 PM
America is our kid that grew up bigger than its father. Still got things to learn.

Meerkat
May 24th, 2007, 07:13 PM
LOL @ British reparations.

A great laugh all around, although I do admit that I appreciated the part of the video telling the British to stop blaming America, especially considering that they always come along on our missions enforcing American hegemony (ie Iraq). Britain is the only nation on this earth that DOESN'T have the right to complain about America.

But we're not blaming you for anything. Of course you get a few people who badmouth america, but you get people like that everywhere. Steven Grasse (the 'brain' behind British reparations) is deliberately trying to stir up trouble - i could go on about him, but i'll be decending to his level if i do. If we blame anyone for the mess in Iraq its Blair.

ablarc
May 24th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Very subtle humor.

Wry.

I wonder how many people will take it seriously.

Bojangleman
May 25th, 2007, 03:49 AM
Oh, I should clarify that the vast majority of Brits I've met have been great. But there's a small minority that are obnoxious as hell (admittedly many Americans are also obnoxious as hell... but they're mostly from the South :D)

Is Steven Grasse joking or is he actually serious? I can't tell from the website....

Meerkat
May 28th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Oh, I should clarify that the vast majority of Brits I've met have been great. But there's a small minority that are obnoxious as hell (admittedly many Americans are also obnoxious as hell... but they're mostly from the South :D)

Is Steven Grasse joking or is he actually serious? I can't tell from the website....

sadly he's not joking.
i made the mistake of buying his book a few weeks ago thinking it would be a bit of light hearted joke at our expense. How wrong i was!! He blames us for all of the worlds ills ranaging from global warming, world wars 1 and 2, the holocaust, just about everything. He claims all englishmen are gay, we're all violent drug pushers, etc etc. I wrote to him highlighting some few of the historical errors in his book (such as the english invented the machine gun when it was actually a native of Maine), and the email i got back was pretty abusive. The book is chillingly similar to anti semitic propaganda from 1930's Germany when the jews were scapegoated for just about everything wrong with Germany at that time. Nice man!

BenL
May 28th, 2007, 05:36 AM
One cannot compare anti-semitism in Nazi Germany to Anglophobia in America. The Jews were ostricised from society through legal and social measures; this is just one thoroughly obnoxious and rather wacky guy who doesn't like the UK - it isn't going to lead to anything more serious.

Meerkat
May 28th, 2007, 05:46 AM
One cannot compare anti-semitism in Nazi Germany to Anglophobia in America. The Jews were ostricised from society through legal and social measures; this is just one thoroughly obnoxious and rather wacky guy who doesn't like the UK - it isn't going to lead to anything more serious.

Well i would hope not!!
I'm only comparing the way he caricatures and scapegoats the English to the way the Jews were caricatured and scapegoated in the 30's / 40's - i'm not comparing anglophobia with anti-semitism at all, there's clearly a big difference. But you are right, he is incredibly obnoxious.

Gregory Tenenbaum
February 29th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Meerkat

Are you seriously comparing a realistic portrayal of a society where over 207,000 people voluntarily left for good last year to live in other countries to what happened in 1934-1945 Germany?

Well?

Meerkat
March 1st, 2008, 08:36 AM
Meerkat

Are you seriously comparing a realistic portrayal of a society where over 207,000 people voluntarily left for good last year to live in other countries to what happened in 1934-1945 Germany?

Well?

Gregory

You know full well i wasn't comparing 1930's Germany with life in 2008 UK (although i'm surprised you haven't tried to yet).

Why take what i have written out of context and try to rewrite it as something else?

As you well know, if you had read my post, I was comparing the crude caricatures in Grasses book with the type of crude caricatures used in anti-semitic propoganda at that time. I was also comparing and the way the jews were scapegoated for just about every social ill at the time, similar to the way Grasse scapegoats the English for every problem in the world today.

In no way am i implying any other similarity.

The caricatures are vulgar to say the least, take for example his (homophobic) comment that all Englishmen are effemminte / gay, written in a sniggering schoolboy manner (being gay myself i find it grossly offensive). Below this is a caricature of two obviously gay men holding hands. I'll bet you have a copy of the book, and i expect spend many happy hours perusing its pages in indignant anger at us 'evil' people - check out the page and see.

You're quick enough to order other people to re read your posts if you feel they have take your comments out of context - you could do worse than take some of your own advice. And don't demand a response by adding 'well?' as though you were in some sort of authority here. I've read enough of your posts to see that being polite is unlikely, but you don't have to be rude.

Gregory Tenenbaum
March 21st, 2008, 11:32 PM
...to order other people to re read your posts if you feel they have take your comments out of context - you could do worse than take some of your own advice. And don't demand a response by adding 'well?' as though you were in some sort of authority here. I've read enough of your posts to see that being polite is unlikely, but you don't have to be rude.

Yes you are absolutely right.

Meerkat
March 22nd, 2008, 04:27 PM
^ I know Greggy;)

Gregory Tenenbaum
September 11th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Correct again. I just wonder how much "England is the Most Glorious" propaganda will keep people there until and after the 2012 Olympics, which it seems many Londoners in particular are already finding an uncomfortable fit in their town...

smellslikeabid
September 14th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Correct again. I just wonder how much "England is the Most Glorious" propaganda will keep people there until and after the 2012 Olympics, which it seems many Londoners in particular are already finding an uncomfortable fit in their town...

Lets just say, i love the UK, but we dont want the Olympics! Especially as we did so well in Bejing, we dont want to embarras ourselves when we dont win anything at our own olympics!

brianac
September 14th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Lets just say, i love the UK, but we dont want the Olympics! Especially as we did so well in Bejing, we dont want to embarras ourselves when we dont win anything at our own olympics!

If you don't want the Olympics, surely you can come up with a better reason than the one you have given here. Thats pathetic.

ZippyTheChimp
September 14th, 2008, 01:25 PM
GB was 4th in both gold and total medals won.

Seems pretty good to me.

Alonzo-ny
September 15th, 2008, 11:32 AM

What? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

smellslikeabid
September 16th, 2008, 04:41 AM
What? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

It does, but its the tip of the iceberg.
Basically, its gonna cost billions to put on and construct the olympics, and i think there are many more usefull places that money can be spent, all around the uk, not just east London!

Alonzo-ny
September 16th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Ok but why would the GB olympic team all of a sudden become crap for no apparent reason?

Ninjahedge
September 16th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Ok but why would the GB olympic team all of a sudden become crap for no apparent reason?

It must be the Islamo-Nazis!!!!!

Wait a sec...

smellslikeabid
September 22nd, 2008, 05:00 AM

Not saying that, i just dont think the majority of people actually care that the olympics are coming here!