PDA

View Full Version : dont take photos??

trader
May 12th, 2007, 12:12 PM
i used to live in ny back in the late 90s, and now i live in japan and i'm visiting ny for about two weeks.

yesterday i was central park and i saw some kids skateboarding and they all had helmets on and i thought they looked real cute so i tried to take some pictures of them, and this older guy came dashing at me and he said not to take pictures of his kids. When i asked why, he said he doesnt want strangers to take pictures of his kids.

i guess i can see where he was coming, with so many pervs out there on the streets of america, but come on...

do you think he was overreacting or is it a real concern out there about that? I think post 9-11, new yorkers attitude towards anything has just completely changed. I was just curious what you guys thought about that.

BrooklynRider
May 12th, 2007, 05:51 PM
I don't think his reaction was the reaction of a "New Yorker" as much as it was the reaction of a "father." Additionally, I think New Yorkers have moved on from 9-11. This city does not have a government that uses fear or negative motivators to control the population.

lofter1
May 12th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Bottom line is you were in a public place and you have a legal right to photograph whatever you want (unless it happens to be a federal building (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=162730&postcount=3)).

trader
May 12th, 2007, 09:21 PM
i walked over brooklyn bridge today, and as i was taking photos of the bridge, the park ranger asked me what the "use" of the photos would be. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME??? WHAT DO YOU THINK THE THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE WHO WERE TAKING THE SAME PHOTOS TODAY WERE DOING?? i almost wanted to say, "i'm taking it to blow up the bridge" but i thought better of it. i mean, i was a wall st. trader during the whole 9-11 tragedy and i felt tremendous sadness and anger (and still do) even though i'm not american, but come on! people have got to get over it! i mean, after the ranger told me that, i was afraid to take ANY photos. i'm sure that's not what you new yorkers want the millions of tourists to feel.

ZippyTheChimp
May 13th, 2007, 12:11 AM
So, you were the only one that was approached by the ranger?

I don't recall anyone ever being questioned on or near the Brooklyn Bridge. On some crossings (Throgs Neck), photos are not permitted, but there are signs posted.

As for the photos of kids, I agree with BR.

Schadenfrau
May 13th, 2007, 02:36 AM
I attended a wedding where the people getting married needed permission from a ranger to take photos- I'm not sure why, though. I don't think any of these examples have anything to do with terrorism.

Frankly, I think it's really rude and invasive to take a stranger's photo. I would not be happy if you tried it with me.

Edward
May 13th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Some photographers noted that New Yorkers are much more likely to refuse to be photographed than people from other places. That is my opinion too.

If you are taking pictures in New York, you would be constantly chalenged. Photographing with a tripod in Central Park or Hudson River Park or for that matter anywhere in the city requires a permit. Here is a scenario - well after sunset, Pier 84, no soul in sight, rangers drive in and threaten photographer with a ticket. Try taking photograph of the beatiful lobby of the Woolworth building - you have about 15 seconds, then you have to run. No picture taking on NY Waterway ferry crossing Hudson river, although if you are using NY water taxi, photograph away; does it make sense?

CMANDALA
May 13th, 2007, 10:07 AM
No picture taking on NY Waterway ferry crossing Hudson river, although if you are using NY water taxi, photograph away; does it make sense?

NYWT is owned by a pro photographer.

By the way, I was once challenged by NYPD in Times Square. They asked me what I was taking photos of.

As for taking photos of other people, especially children, proper etiquette is to ask first.

MikeKruger
May 13th, 2007, 10:21 AM
No picture taking on NY Waterway ferry crossing Hudson river,

we took lots of shots on the ferry to Ellis Island. what is the difference?!?!?!?

Jasonik
May 14th, 2007, 11:22 AM
The Photographer’s Right (http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm)
A page with downloadable literature by Attorney Bert Krages

BTW Lofter, there is no specific ban (law, statute or anything in the P.A.T.R.I.O.T act) on photographing Federal buildings as long as you are standing on public property or on a public use easment. It does however usually fall under the broad umbrella of 'suspicious behavior' that is used as justification for detention, questioning and demands to produce ID.

In most cases security guards and Police are uneducated or misinformed about the First Ammendment protections afforded photography.

A thorough blog of contemporary stories and case law regarding photographers rights and related topics:
http://www.photopermit.org/