PDA

View Full Version : one more question (haha)

trader
May 12th, 2007, 12:30 PM
i saw an opera the other night at MET opera house, and of course it was awesome, but i noticed the audience was, like, 90% old people, and by "old people" i mean, like, over 60. In japan, you see the opposite, actually. there are a lot more younger people at classical music venues than older people (and top notch restaurants and especially cafes!) Is classical music in nyc dying? I read an article a while back that the new manager at Met opera is trying to change that by loweing ticket price and holding events targeted for younger people, but... What do you think? That's it for today! :)

Chi2NYC?
May 12th, 2007, 02:01 PM
my only comment is the lyric opera in chicago also has mostly an older demographic.

i believe the met has started broadcasting some performances to movie theaters in other cities. i've also heard about it being more common for established orchestras in northern cities to spend part of the year in sunbelt cities.

Schadenfrau
May 12th, 2007, 02:34 PM
I've been to a few shows at the Met and Carnegie Hall in the past year, and they all had a fair percentage of attendees under 60. Classical music has always skewed older- the young kids like that crazy rock and roll music.

BrooklynRider
May 12th, 2007, 06:07 PM
The Metropolitan Opera and Opera House have always portrayed themselves with an air of exclusivity - high brow, serious entertainment. I find the "scene" a complete turn off.

pianoman11686
May 12th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I think the age disparity is common throughout the U.S. I went to a piano recital at my college's main auditorium a few months ago. Despite the fact that we have more than 6,000 undergrads right on campus, easily 60-70% of the crowd were old folks from the surrounding area. And, of the few students who were there, a disproportionately high percentage were Asian.

trader
May 12th, 2007, 09:28 PM
for, like, 20 bucks, which i think is an excellent idea to promote MET and opera around the world. i just wish they'd do it more often for us who can't be here in the city 365 days a year.

and pianoman, maybe that's why so many of these child prodigies are korean and chinese. i mean, i wonder when we're gonna have the next anne-sophie mutter and itzhak perlman. there's just almost no interest in classical music among young people in america.