PDA

View Full Version : is christianity (or any religion for that matter) dead in nyc?

trader
May 13th, 2007, 09:51 PM
i went to a church on 66th & broadway with my friend this morning, and there were 11 people, all old, sitting there. My friend is Korean and he says christianity is huge in korea and they can't build enough churches there. Some of the churches there are so packed that people are sitting in the basement of the church watching the service via tv screens. For a nation built on christianity, what do you think is happening? Or is it strictly a nyc thing?

ablarc
May 13th, 2007, 10:04 PM
^ You should see how they pack 'em in in the Bible Belt.

Punzie
May 14th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Not even God gets between New Yorkers and their Moms!

krulltime
May 14th, 2007, 09:35 AM
There are just more things to do and see on a Sunday morning in NYC. ;)

ablarc
May 14th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Or is it strictly a nyc thing?

There are just more things to do and see on a Sunday morning in NYC. ;)
So: mostly a nyc thing?

Interesting cities make folks irreligious?

Ninjahedge
May 14th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Not anti-religion or athiest or even agnostic.

It just means that there is more to do on a Sunday morning ni NYC than to sit down and listen to one man prosteltize his views on religion to a group of people.

I have always found that smaller discussion groups were more educational when it came to matters of religion, and that they people you spoke with, pastors included, were much more candid and realistic about their thoughts and positions.

Church has, and will always be a SOCIAL institution, governed by the people ane what they feel to be the right thing to do in their lives. They have a kind of, ironically, Ouija way of controlling where it goes, which in turn controls where they and their children eventually go.

But being a social institution in an area where there are so many others, an area that does not have a bunch of people who know you and distain you if you do not attend, there is no social stigma to not attending.

You go if you want, not because you were told to do so by your peers/family.

Punzie
May 15th, 2007, 03:27 AM
i went to a church on 66th & broadway with my friend this morning, and there were 11 people, all old, sitting there.

I still say it was because of Mother's Day.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i130/Rapunzel61/Smileys/Razz/justface.gif
Go back to the same church at the same time
when it's not Mother's Day or Father's Day,
and see what the attendance is.

Luca
May 15th, 2007, 09:30 AM
So: mostly a nyc thing?

Interesting cities make folks irreligious?

Cities (especially a city like NYC) have a much higher concentration of high-end, knowledge-economy professionals; a demographic that is considerably more likely to be desit, agnostic (stated or 'practicing') or humanist.