PDA

View Full Version : <<< Wind Energy Skyscrapers >>>

gaetanomarano
May 15th, 2007, 05:47 PM

I don't know if a "Wind Energy Skyscraper" like this could even be built someday (the concepts I've seen so far, just add two-three rotors to a skyscraper to save 10-15% of energy) however, it looks like a very good idea that worth an article:

http://www.gaetanomarano.it/articles/028energy.html

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3661/energyskyscraper2bd0.jpg

Punzie
May 17th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Noisy; unsightly; wind currents vary; defective parts fly off (damage, death); interferes with reception in TV, etc.; proliferation of dead birds; NIMBYism... and currently much more expensive than most other alternative energy sources.

As a side note, Nassau County is having a major controversy involving wind energy. (Windmills to run on South Shore.)

gaetanomarano
May 17th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Noisy; unsightly; wind currents vary; defective parts fly off (damage, death); interferes with reception in TV, etc.; proliferation of dead birds; NIMBYism... and currently much more expensive than most other alternative energy sources.

I don't suggest to put the W.E.S. inside the cities but a few miles NEAR them to save on energy trasfer leak

Bob
May 17th, 2007, 05:52 PM
To heck with the birds. The great majority of them don't seem to have much difficulty avoiding mountains and cliffs. Let the stupid ones crash into buildings, if they so choose.

Punzie
May 17th, 2007, 07:07 PM
To heck with the birds. The great majority of them don't seem to have much difficulty avoiding mountains and cliffs. Let the stupid ones crash into buildings, if they so choose.

I'm not thinking about the welfare of the birds as much as the people on the streets. Right now when a bird crashes into a building, most of the time it lands on the street as a "whole" dead bird. Birds that fly into mills will be hacked apart; the streets will be littered with dead bird pieces.

I use the word "littered" because migratory flocks of birds tend to travel with the wind, which feeds into the mills... (Use your imagination.)

Speaking of which, it's time for my dinner.

gaetanomarano
May 18th, 2007, 12:32 PM
...migratory flocks of birds tend to travel with the wind, which feeds into the mills...

but the birds have their eyes ... they can't see the big rotors when running at high speed (and very much away from the rotors' towers) while the smaller rotors of my W.E.S. are pretty close to the (highly visible) w.e. skyscrapers' structures ... so, the birds should NOT fly towards the buildings/rotors (or just the most supid of them... :) )

Punzie
May 19th, 2007, 03:13 AM
:o Just for the record, I almost excluded the dead birds from the list of disadvantages of wind-energized skyscrapers; the other disadvantages are so much more... err... disadvantageous.

Bob
May 19th, 2007, 07:02 AM
On a related note (sometimes I just can't help myself)...cars have been around for well over 100 years. Why is it that, still, a whole lot of deer still don't understand that you have to look both ways before you cross a street? Dogs and cats have largely seem to have gotten the flick.

Punzie
May 19th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Why is it that, still, a whole lot of deer still don't understand that you have to look both ways before you cross a street?
I give up, Bob, what's the answer?