PDA

View Full Version : "Night Moderator" - 12mid-8am (NY Time)

Punzie
May 17th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Deleted obsolete suggestion.

WebErr
May 18th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Why not?
I tired to see spam, when "Day Moderators" sleeping. :)
8 hours of difference, as you know. ;)

Alonzo-ny
May 18th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Was quite pertinent last night when veng wanted his pic removed but no mod to take care of it.

NoyokA
May 19th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Right now serving tables and taking one class a day I don't need to wake up before 1 pm and I usually don't, as such I'm usually checking the forums at 3,4,5 am before I go to sleep, so essentially I serve as the "night moderator". NYatKnight, Zippy, and Edward also browse the forum frequently, resulting in a near 24 hour watch. You might think you see alot of spam, but you really don't because what you see is only a fraction of the spam before we delete it and ban the member that posted it. The moderation staff encounters spam on a constant basis and we do a good job of dealing with it, considering that the forum is most always spam free. If you encounter a spam post report it and one of us will delete it.

ZippyTheChimp
May 19th, 2007, 06:42 AM
And Kris can be considered the night moderator, since his time zone is + 6 hours.

ablarc
May 19th, 2007, 09:23 AM
And Kris can be considered the night moderator, since his time zone is + 6 hours.
Yeah, but he's been AWOL since April 5.

lofter1
May 19th, 2007, 11:46 AM
... how do you summon up enthusiasm to moderate a website on the nights you party?

Not to mention the clarity of mind :confused: :cool:

NoyokA
May 19th, 2007, 12:07 PM
It crossed my mind more than once that you might be serving as a "night moderator.":)

I'm thinking about how people in your age bracket love to party, and I have a question. If websites had been around when I was in my teens and 20s, the very last thing I would have felt like doing would have been to moderate one after a night of partying. OMG, just thinking about it... !

If this question is not too personal, how do you summon up enthusiasm to moderate a website on the nights you party?

When I was an architecture major I would go out and come back to architecture studio at around 3am, I would then work untill around 10am and then go to class or go home and sleep. Now I continue to stay awake and keep my mind focused after a night out, which for me is only a couple of nights a week anyway. Most nights I'm working and come home and browse the forum as a way of unwinding, moderating in the process. At the late hours the extent of my moderating is mostly deleting spam anyway, which a trained monkey could do.

ablarc
May 19th, 2007, 12:09 PM
^ Isn't that when clarity is optimized? ;)

NoyokA
May 19th, 2007, 01:18 PM
^ Isn't that when clarity is optimized? ;)

I thought that was just me, lol. Sometimes inspiration strikes in the late hours, I rarely if ever start any school work or studies before 1 am, my GPA is 3.9, many projects and papers done under the influence.

lofter1
May 19th, 2007, 01:39 PM
... many projects and papers done under the influence ...
Could be an interesting field of study for a sociology / education major ^^^

NoyokA
May 19th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Its all psychology, Im at my best under pressure or with strict perameters. I wont look at my notes until the night before a test, I'll write my best and most creatively when strict parameteres are given. Given an open topic or ideal conditions I don't have the interest and determination to do my best work.

kz1000ps
May 19th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I'm the exact same way, Stern. I need a clear form - borders - to get the best and most creative stuff out of me, be it writing or playing music or sketching floor plans.

NYatKNIGHT
May 22nd, 2007, 10:38 AM
...many projects and papers done under the influence.Nice. Ah, college.

No wonder Gehry is your favorite - a lot of his buildings look like they were designed under the influence. But he's a success - I say go with it!

BrooklynRider
May 28th, 2007, 02:42 AM
What's it like to be a genius?:D

Well, I'll tell you...

The toilet paper is set so the paper rolls over the top, rather than under the bottom.

Hot Dogs are eaten with mustard - not ketchup.

Hawaiian Pizza is eschewed - pinapple and ham DO NOT equate to pizza.

A genius will stand in the very middle of a subway car, know that either end of the car does not have air conditioning vents.

Theater tickets are never bought at full price.

Underwear is changed daily - unless it is commando day.

Ta-dah! The life of a genius.

lofter1
May 28th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Well, I'll tell you...

The toilet paper is set so the paper rolls over the top, rather than under the bottom.

This is akin to putting the silverware in the drying tray with the handles pointing down ...

BrooklynRider
May 28th, 2007, 12:34 PM
This is akin to putting the silverware in the drying tray with the handles pointing down ...

Oh dear, someone missed all those "Dear Abby" columns...

lofter1
May 28th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Which way do you dry your flatware?

BrooklynRider
May 28th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I lay it on its side in the dish rack. :D

pianoman11686
May 28th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Oh, by the way BR, I forgot to add something earlier to your "genius list":

A genius doesn't fret about which lane to change into while stuck in rush hour traffic. He works from home. (But he does like the occasional pineapple and bacon thin crust pizza delivered home by Domino's!) http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

lofter1
May 28th, 2007, 10:37 PM
...someone missed all those "Dear Abby" columns...

And could you outline the up-side(s) to the TP coming at you from the underside and hanging down near the wall?

Meerkat
August 14th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Just out of curiosity are moderators paid on wired new york, or is it voluntary?

BrooklynRider
August 14th, 2007, 09:51 PM
It's voluntary (a salute to our current crop of moderators.)

MODERATORS: PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD AND LET IT SINK INTO OBLIVION.

NoyokA
August 15th, 2007, 02:27 AM
We are not paid, although Edward once gave us a holiday gift which was very kind of him. I don’t moderate because of any incentives, although there are others as well, but I moderate merely because I have a great appreciation for this forum and wish to give back to it.

BR: This thread is going to stay open, although the premise might arguably be silly, my approach to moderating is to allow for all thoughts and opinions creating an open discourse.

BrooklynRider
August 15th, 2007, 02:15 PM
BR: This thread is going to stay open, although the premise might arguably be silly, my approach to moderating is to allow for all thoughts and opinions creating an open discourse.

Not a problem here. I think my reaction and post was impulsive.

NoyokA
August 15th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Not a problem here. I think my reaction and post was impulsive.

That's allowed as well. ;)

Meerkat
August 15th, 2007, 11:55 PM
MODERATORS: PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD AND LET IT SINK INTO OBLIVION.

Sorry BrooklyRider, i was just curious.