PDA

View Full Version : Spider-Man 3?

Joelio
May 21st, 2007, 12:08 AM
So what'd any of you think of Spider-Man 3? I'm just curious as here in NZ the reviews (and some of my friends...) have been criticizing it for being too long and trying to cram too much in to it. I personally loved it, but I'll admit that there was A LOT in the film and Venom wasn't in it enough... :D

But still, what'd you all think of it? (if you saw it...)

4 1/2 stars... :p

clubBR
May 21st, 2007, 01:09 AM
It was freakin great- if you're a die hard Spider-Man fan.
Moviewise, it was so so

User Name
May 21st, 2007, 08:12 AM
The ending sucked big time, as did most of the middle, and the beginning. It had its moments but they were few and far between.

I'd have to say it was the worst of the 3 so far. If another is in the works they need to ditch Raimy (or whatever his name is) and get a new director/screenwriter.

lofter1
May 21st, 2007, 09:25 AM
The movie only makes sense when you think of it as a video game (or promo for same) :(

Joelio
May 21st, 2007, 03:52 PM
The ending sucked big time, as did most of the middle, and the beginning. It had its moments but they were few and far between.

I'd have to say it was the worst of the 3 so far. If another is in the works they need to ditch Raimy (or whatever his name is) and get a new director/screenwriter.

Awww. I disagree. :D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0948470/

^^ That may disappoint you :(

Ninjahedge
May 22nd, 2007, 09:45 AM
Actually, I have looked on Rotten, and Tomshardware, and quite a few other places.

They have said it is the worst of the 3, but is by no means an X3 or Daredevil.

They said they just focused on too mant different things. If they just got rid of one of teh bad guys, or did not bother with a Venom Battle (maybe just hinted at his coming in an after-the-credits teaser) they could have gotten you more into the guys they were introducing.

So, from what I have heard, they say it is not BAD. It is entertaining, but #2 still holds out, unquestionably, as the best.

Hopefully they take this as a constructive criticism and do not fall into the sequel pit.

Chi2NYC?
May 22nd, 2007, 03:07 PM
i really don't think it's just that they focused on too many things. the writing was pretty bad. i think one of the strengths of the spiderman character is that he is whimsical but still gets the job done. the second movie portrayed that really well. (spoiler alert) but in this one the mood of the film wavered between too whimsical (that ridiculous sequence of him dancing in the streets, mj and his best friend cooking, the landlord's weird and giddy daughter) and too serious (peter accidentally slapping mj to the ground (and since it was an accident, it consitutes a really cheap way to manipulate the audience emotionally), the stupid hair gimmick to demonstrate dark spidey, the butler's strange heart-to-heart with peter's best friend about his father that came a little too late, mj's intimate singing, mj-peter drama redux (like we didn't get enough of that in the first two), peter's aunt thinking retributively over her husband's death (like we didn't feel enough sympathy about the guy's death in the first two)).

sandman was a neat, complex character. but i don't think they did a good job exploiting the ambiguity surrounding his motives toward helping his daughter or how peter's uncle died. they didn't resolve it too well. too much else was going on.

this is just a poorly written film. instead of chuckling at the whimsical moments and getting emotionally charged at the serious ones (as i did with spidey 2), this one had me cringing at all the silly moments and laughing at all the hackneyed serious ones. it's a shame schmucks like me are buying tickets to tell the studios that it's okay to put out really bad sequels like this.

Joelio
May 22nd, 2007, 03:24 PM
Hm. I see your point. However the emo Spider-Man scenes (although incredibly stupid) actually show how his lust for the power (he goes around wearing his black suit, the greedy bugger) by showing us how out of control he gets when he can't control it himself.

I have been thinking recently, though, after watching a few (what look like illegal) videos from the film on Youtube, and I noticed that in the final scene (spoiler alert) when the bars fall on the landing and Venom goes all screech-y, they incorporated a number of really cheesy and cliche factors in to the following part: most of all (the one that really annoys me) the part where it zooms up to Peter's eyes and he has the flashback of the church. And the number of other cliche lines and actions in the film really get annoying.

So I think now I would reduce my rating to about 3 1/2 stars. But I still really loved the movie. For the most part I loved the final scene with (spoiler alert) Venom and Sandman both fighting Peter. And the subway battle between Spidey and Sandman was pretty cool. And the crane scene.

Yeah. :cool:

Ninjahedge
May 23rd, 2007, 09:27 AM
If they are both fighting him at the same time, according to comic land, he should have died. He could barely get by when it was just Venom or Carnage!!!

Also, I don't remember Peter himself turning to the "dark side" in teh comics. It was more like the Venom suit took over when he was sleeping, would come over and "borrow" his body to go out at night and cause trouble (like the bad side of Batman).

Turning him into the "Dark Superman" (pardon all the DC references) seems a bit too hackneyed. Something they made up so that even a 5 year old with autism could understand the plot... :p

I hope they get the message from ticket sales (which you know they track, but never report) and see that 2 kikked 3's butt.....

Joelio
May 24th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Actually, the scene where he removes the symbiote and it bonds with Eddie Brock is straight from the comics. Whether or not it's from The Amazing Spider-Man or Ultimate Spider-man or what, I don't know.

Ninjahedge
May 24th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I never read Ultimate. I "quit the habit" back in college when the prices went thru the roof (back when Dark Horse started).

I have seen friends books here and there, but I have not gone through all the new seres. So maybe he did turn into a teen-wolf in Ultimate, but he didn't in the more family-friendly original (and no, teh original was not akin to PBS for Kids, but just a bit less gritty than Ultimate).

They have a solid layout for 3 more fliks, they should have just taken their time,. Delt with Hobgoblin, brought in sandman, introduced the costume and shown Peter seprating himself, but thenm maybe taken a little artistic license in making it seem like seperating himself from it made the symbiote die.

Then, as I suggested earlier, they come back after the credits and show the symbiote start moving slowly. Cut to black.

You would have every spidey fan out there chomping at the bit waiting for the next one.

They seem to be in such a rush to introduce all these guys these days for games and merchandising...... Its a shame... :(

User Name
May 24th, 2007, 09:57 AM
It seems to me (and correct me if I'm wrong) that in almost every superhero flick they make nowadays the villians always die? Why is that?

It started with the Joker (in Batman) and has continued straight through to Harry Osborne and Venom/Eddie Brock jr in Spiderman 3.

The one exception that comes to mind are the villians in the Superman movies. AFAIK none of them were killed.

Ninjahedge
May 24th, 2007, 10:27 AM
They want the formula for closure.

But, as far as I know, comics never really HAD closure.

The best thing about Batman was that you never really knew, 100%, that teh Joker was dead. Yes he was in the warehouse that exploded, but they did not find any remains....

You never kill off the characters in what could be an ongoing saga.

mrbubs
June 1st, 2007, 08:26 AM
It seems to me (and correct me if I'm wrong) that in almost every superhero flick they make nowadays the villians always die? Why is that?

It started with the Joker (in Batman) and has continued straight through to Harry Osborne and Venom/Eddie Brock jr in Spiderman 3.

The one exception that comes to mind are the villians in the Superman movies. AFAIK none of them were killed.

Even if they die, it's a Marvel film.

And in Marvel, unless you're Thunderbird, you can come back to life, one way or another.

BrooklynRider
June 1st, 2007, 08:54 AM
I just thought that it relied too my on CGI - after a while it began to annoy me. I thought they crammed alot in as well, but I thought, as summer fare, it was pretty good. I caught Shrek the Third, which was awful. I caught Bug, which was a terrific off-broadway play. Yet, it came off as kind of hokey on film. So far, I think Fracture is the best movie I've seen this summer. Two movies playing I want to see are Pirates #3 (I hear it's awful) and 28 Days Later. I like summer movie season. Bring on Harry Potter.

kliq6
June 1st, 2007, 09:31 AM
SM# had bad ending and was overall boring. The so called " bad guy" spiderman was justso lame and overall as a native of Queens, when i watch these moviews they make Queens looks like its Iowa!

Pirates Three was okay, another bad ending however

Joelio
June 1st, 2007, 05:17 PM
I just thought that it relied too my on CGI - after a while it began to annoy me.

So did King Kong - there was a total count of 2200 VFX shots!! But I still love King Kong... :D

Two movies playing I want to see are Pirates #3 (I hear it's awful) and 28 Days Later. I like summer movie season. Bring on Harry Potter.

I'm seeing POTC 3 tomorrow! On the Imax screen... which should be pretty cool. Harry Potter... I love you so hard out.

No I'm NOT gay... :p I just happen to like the Harry Potter movies...

But as for Spider-Man 3 - I still love the movie. No matter what you guys here think. :D

Joelio
October 28th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Lol.. don't mean to bump.. but I'm obsessive. :cool:

Harry Potter 5 was awesome... Pirates 3 was ok... and Spider-Man 3 (now on DVD in New Zealand, since Sepetember the 19th :p America gets it on the 30th of October) gets even better the more you watch it. I must've watched it a gazillion times by now.. never get tired of that street dancing... *he got the funk* :p

Harry Potter comes out on DVD on Novemebr the 14th... CANNOT wait. Saw it in the cinemas (IMAX again lol :D) 5 times. No kidding.