PDA

View Full Version : An Unhappy Request

Canadian
May 23rd, 2007, 08:15 AM
I am writing my Dad's eulogy. I remember a passage by Walt Whitman that I read long ago but now I can't find it. All of you seem to always be able to answer any question so I've turned to you in hopes that you can help me once again. The passage is somewhat similar to, but much better than, the popular poem that goes something like:'I am the thousand glints of snow...' If I remember correctly Whitman refers to clod of earth on your shoes or something like that. Can anyone refer me to the proper passage? Thanks guys

Chi2NYC?
May 23rd, 2007, 09:37 AM
I am writing my Dad's eulogy. I remember a passage by Walt Whitman that I read long ago but now I can't find it. All of you seem to always be able to answer any question so I've turned to you in hopes that you can help me once again. The passage is somewhat similar to, but much better than, the popular poem that goes something like:'I am the thousand glints of snow...' If I remember correctly Whitman refers to clod of earth on your shoes or something like that. Can anyone refer me to the proper passage? Thanks guys

don't know, but google says that the popular poem is "do not stand at my grave and weep" by mary frye. it references "i am the diamond glint on snow."

ZippyTheChimp
May 23rd, 2007, 10:02 AM
My condolences on the passing of your father.

I think the passage you want is:

I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love,

If you want me again look for me under your boot-soles.

My mother included it in her eulogy to her father. Thanks for a poignant memory.

Canadian
May 23rd, 2007, 01:33 PM
That is what I was looking for. Thank you so much.

Luca
May 24th, 2007, 03:30 AM
My condolences.

I've always liked Dylan Thomas' more defiant take on that one "Do not go gently..."

Punzie
May 24th, 2007, 06:03 AM
My condolences on the loss of your Dad. Walt Whitman's passages remind us that the beauty of a life is forever.